What's in Your Go Bag?

There's a lot to be learned from the way the local Taliban fighters operate. I mean the ones who don't come and go seasonally. If there were ever to be an insurgency type situation in the US (foreign invasion, etc) SOF types would not only have the professional training, but also have all of the Taliban, Haqqani, HIG, AQ lessons learned/observations to draw from- pretty valuable lessons at that.

Caches/battlefield procurement are everything.

Keep notes of locations of possible stores of goods; ie. ammo, food, more ammo, etc.

A safe house or two with weapons in foreign nations and stores is nice. Since its damn near impossible to pass through international borders with weapons and ammo if not supported or condoned by host. Once on the ground its good to have friends. Hence GPS is always nice to locate the stashes and support... As well as new phone number and a disposable phone. Influence, friends and money always help, allot. Money works well just about everywhere I have been.

A safe house or two with weapons in foreign nations and stores is nice. Since its damn near impossible to pass through international borders with weapons and ammo if not supported or condoned by host. Once on the ground its good to have friends. Hence GPS is always nice to locate the stashes and support... As well as new phone number and a disposable phone. Influence, friends and money always help, allot. Money works well just about everywhere I have been.
A rudimentary understanding of tradecraft is key. It's also pretty crucial to be able to find your caches without a GPS, or how to help someone else to find it without them having one and without you being present.

A rudimentary understanding of tradecraft is key. It's also pretty crucial to be able to find your caches without a GPS, or how to help someone else to find it without them having one and without you being present.

We are talking the same language now. Correct you are, SPOT on broham. Of course if the way points are in the device and it is compromised your done. I have been to a couple of places where they have taken my computer and required me to open it and search contents. I don't routinely down load any sensitive data on my computer hard drives other than my office and a remote connection. I learned allot of stuff the hard way, through embarrassment, compromise and confusion...

I don't have them down on paper but I have checked out my area for potential "defensive", blocking positions and E&E routes. Not just for when the zombies hit but in case of disaster. I think any medium-long term period could result in looting as I'm in a rural area.

I've decided to call fire on my position and hold. No displacement option or retrograde...

I've decided to call fire on my position and hold. No displacement option or retrograde...
Me too- I've got the Claymores out and didn't use the RAMS, in fact I didn't even need to unroll the wire. My E&E plan is pretty much right out of the VSO book- die-in-place.

Me too- I've got the Claymores out and didn't use the RAMS, in fact I didn't even need to unroll the wire. My E&E plan is pretty much right out of the VSO book- die-in-place.

At this point it appears all options are off the table, non-viable and non-feasible. Sustainability is low but the immediate effect will be overwhelming for short duration.

In the what's worth file; Another thing to think about when traveling or doing work is to have what you need on you. At times our work is unsupported by locals and the US can't be counted on for a get out of jail card. In fact in my opinion you can totally disregard the US for any assistance from State. State department is worthless in my opinion and experience. You need an inside track with friends is much better and more reliable. I trust selected and vetted local nationals more than US State most of the time. Always be ready to dump or leave items in your hotel and move without return. This has happened to a couple of friends of mine twice nearly happened to me once. In one case a buddy of mine was doing some recovery work. They secured the target but there was only room for one other on the small aircraft. It was a border nation. The one dumped and left everything at the hotel. He made his way on foot and purchased a vehicle (cash) to a border area where he ended up getting wet. He was able to successfully E&E but not without a small kit and allot of cash. I've never had to go that bad but close, thankfully.

I have the opposite issue: a Get-Home-Bag, instead of a Bug-Out-bag.

Similar things and contents. I work at a hospital. A handy thing.;-)

I always think of multi-use. An ounce now is pounds later.

For instance:
(1) Cotton balls soaked in Petroleum jelly (or Bacitracin) can be used as wound dressing, burn treatment, lubricant,lip balm, temporary weapon lube, rust preventative, anti-septic and fire starter.
(2) a small can/bottle of ethyl chloride can be used an a topical anesthetic and fire starter.
(3) duct tape or electrician's tape. So many uses. I've used it as a field expedient splint.
(4) Diphenhydramine tabs. Used for nausea, allergies, insomnia, vertigo, congestion, itchy rashes, etc.
(5) Salt. Multi uses. Food, mild anti-septic (clean a wound), field expedient toothpaste.

I saw a thread where SpecOps has a sale on THE bag.

I have the opposite issue: a Get-Home-Bag, instead of a Bug-Out-bag.

Similar things and contents. I work at a hospital. A handy thing.;-)

I always think of multi-use. An ounce now is pounds later.

For instance:
(1) Cotton balls soaked in Petroleum jelly (or Bacitracin) can be used as wound dressing, burn treatment, lubricant,lip balm, temporary weapon lube, rust preventative, anti-septic and fire starter.
(2) a small can/bottle of ethyl chloride can be used an a topical anesthetic and fire starter.
(3) duct tape or electrician's tape. So many uses. I've used it as a field expedient splint.
(4) Diphenhydramine tabs. Used for nausea, allergies, insomnia, vertigo, congestion, itchy rashes, etc.
(5) Salt. Multi uses. Food, mild anti-septic (clean a wound), field expedient toothpaste.

I saw a thread where SpecOps has a sale on THE bag.

Don't suppose you could hook us all up with some broad spectrum antibiotics then hmmm? ;)

That sort of stuff will be worth it's weight in gold if things went belly up.

Forgive the Necropost, but I happened upon this thread via a search for Quik-Clot and didn't figure there a point in starting a new one. Some great info in here that I will browse thru more thoroughly later this week.

A thought and a question:

- Thought: One item I've added to my bag that I do not see listed in this thread is a watch. Typically I am wearing my iWatch or something dressy for work. Neither of those do me any good in a SHTF type scenario, so I tossed one of my old G-Shocks with fresh batteries.

- Questions: At a recent shoot I was talking with an Army Medic who was just retiring. He was telling me that he hated Quik Clot and that it sometimes did more damage than good. This was a year ago, and I should have paid better attention, but what say the medical folks here? Still Quik Clot fans, or is there something more effective to buy in the civilian world?

Forgive the Necropost, but I happened upon this thread via a search for Quik-Clot and didn't figure there a point in starting a new one. Some great info in here that I will browse thru more thoroughly later this week.

- Thought: One item I've added to my bag that I do not see listed in this thread is a watch. Typically I am wearing my iWatch or something dressy for work. Neither of those do me any good in a SHTF type scenario, so I tossed one of my old G-Shocks with fresh batteries.

- Questions: At a recent shoot I was talking with an Army Medic who was just retiring. He was telling me that he hated Quik Clot and that it sometimes did more damage than good. This was a year ago, and I should have paid better attention, but what say the medical folks here? Still Quik Clot fans, or is there something more effective to buy in the civilian world?

RE: Quik Clot, I am thinking the medic with whom you spoke may have been talking about the old gen 1 powder, which did have some nasty 'side effects' (for lack of better word). The QC dressings we have now are good to go.

Old school antihemhoragic... unflavored gelatin powder, no shit, as long as the individual does not have a collagen allergy, it's effective, cheap and lasts for a long time.

Old school antihemhoragic... unflavored gelatin powder, no shit, as long as the individual does not have a collagen allergy, it's effective, cheap and lasts for a long time.
Most of me wants to try this because I'm an idiot, tend to cut myself real good and usually have unflavored getatin around for Jell-o jigglers and part of me is thinking you'd be over there laughing your ass off if I tried it.:hmm:

I think he's definitely talking about first-gen QC, which was provided as a powder. It blew off, it created an exothermic reaction that could burn the patient, it could get on the medic... Combat Gauze (made by the same folks, Z-Medica) is the newest generation; it is an awesome product that is very effective. I carry it, and every other LE medic I know does as well.

Back