What's in Your Go Bag?

I think he's definitely talking about first-gen QC, which was provided as a powder. It blew off, it created an exothermic reaction that could burn the patient, it could get on the medic... Combat Gauze (made by the same folks, Z-Medica) is the newest generation; it is an awesome product that is very effective. I carry it, and every other LE medic I know does as well.

Agreed, with a lot of kerlix also...

M.

As a bit of an aside, when I finish a session in the waves somewhere remote or a bit of cross country hiking, its always handy to have a source of heat, be it hexamine blocks or something more Gucci like a small portable gas stove. A basic pack of dried noodles, a stock cube, some water and you have something to work with, some kind of fork/spoon combo is handy as well & of course something to heat it in. I'm not critical of the medical aspect at all, it's totally relevant and I get it. Food and shelter are the drivers as the probability is you'd be eating more than you'd be doing bushmans medicine.

Right now I'm pretty well set to stay in place rather than go. It's taken me years to get to this point. Ive got a roughly 400,000 gallon spring-fed pond stocked with bass and bluegill, peach and tangerine trees, blueberries, perimeter barbed wire all around, house on hill with a clear field of fire at least 100 yards in all directions; an angus cattle ranch to my north (steak!) 80 acres of orange grove to my south; deer, hogs, and small game in abundance...and plenty of ammo stocked up.

If I'm forced to run, my former company commander has 200 acres in Lavaca County, TX and a cache of firearms that makes my head swim, including a Barrett M82 and an M99...and if we're compromised there, my former XO and PS are in Pecos with similar stockpiles and tactical options.

One thing about us old guys. We do it up right so we don't have to run around in the woods eating bugs like fuckin Tarzan. 8-)

Right now I'm pretty well set to stay in place rather than go. It's taken me years to get to this point. Ive got a roughly 400,000 gallon spring-fed pond stocked with bass and bluegill, peach and tangerine trees, blueberries, perimeter barbed wire all around, house on hill with a clear field of fire at least 100 yards in all directions; an angus cattle ranch to my north (steak!) 80 acres of orange grove to my south; deer, hogs, and small game in abundance...and plenty of ammo stocked up.

If I'm forced to run, my former company commander has 200 acres in Lavaca County, TX and a cache of firearms that makes my head swim, including a Barrett M82 and an M99...and if we're compromised there, my former XO and PS are in Pecos with similar stockpiles and tactical options.

One thing about us old guys. We do it up right so we don't have to run around in the woods eating bugs like fuckin Tarzan. 8-)

Yeah. I have six kids. I don't need a go-bag, I need a go-RV. Seriously unless my AO is besieged by some natural disaster which forces me to leave, it's safer for me and my family to shelter-in-place. But if we have to leave, I have ready-to-go supplies and a PACE plan.

Yeah. I have six kids. I don't need a go-bag, I need a go-RV. Seriously unless my AO is besieged by some natural disaster which forces me to leave, it's safer for me and my family to shelter-in-place. But if we have to leave, I have ready-to-go supplies and a PACE plan.

Six kids!

That's a fireteam, a pig handler and AG.

Besides an IFAK, weapons, ammo, LBE (chest rig), clothing and a few good TMs. Here are some ancillary bug out items I like. In bold are a few I don’t believe I have seen listed.

WOLVERINES!!! LOL
  1. Ferrous rod, large (18,000 strikes),
  2. several P-38 can openers
  3. protractor for nav & carmenga USGI compass
  4. 1:50,000 scale map(s), several major city maps and waterproof carrier
  5. K-Bar spork w/ knife built into handle
  6. BK9 Combat Bowie (Bushcraft knife, in ruck)
  7. Gerber MK II w/ Kydex sheath (In ruck)
  8. KBAR fighting & utility knife, on hip
  9. Arkansas sharpening stone
  10. Water purification tabs & filter pen around neck for on the go emergency hydration
  11. Stainless steel reflective mirror (signaling and to see “ouch WTF bit me?” or “WTF is in my eye?” or “WTF is around the corner?”
  12. watch, cover band and extra batteries
  13. USGI field surgurey kit (scalpel etc...)
  14. Chest seals
  15. Trauma shears (on chest rig)
  16. Small issue flashlight w/ red light (on chest rig) & extra batteries. For map reading at night under poncho.
  17. M4 cleaning kit and MUT Leatherman for AR style weapons, crimping blasting caps and punching composites + bore snake for 9mm and 5.56, CLP and tube of graphite (snake bore cleaners are QUICK)
  18. my ZIPPO w/ extra flints and wicks
  19. 3’ of 1” rubber tubing (mainly for ciphening fuel, also essential for HMMV field expidient fixes)
  20. Flexicuffs/zipties
  21. Shemegh & mosquito netting for face (you know you wish you had one on the ambush line)
  22. 4 sticks of cammo paint
  23. Case trappers knife (for dressing game)
  24. Spool of copper wire
  25. Length of waterproof TNT or black powder fuse
  26. Small fishing kit
  27. Tarp, compact ghuille suit and roll of nylon screen for making urban hides
  28. 1 - canvas carry litter (doubles as hammock, suspended w/ 550 cord)
  29. Sewing kit
  30. Leather patch w/ 550 cord and/or bandanna (made into a stone throwing sling) @Kutya you’ve seen this in action, good for hunting birds
  31. Handcuff key and lockpicking kit w/ small sheaf of paperclips for picking cheap locks and to conserve picking tool use. Wrapped tight to silence.
  32. 2 - 6 gallon Jerry cans in vehicle
  33. Camelbak
  34. Silenced Wather P22 (Hushpuppy)
  35. Straight razor (will keep you smooth and clean for years, although I hope I never have to wear a protective mask ever again, for anything) Crazy Crow Trading Post sells the best and least expensive straight razors.
  36. Vortex optics
  37. Rocket fins w/ nylon carry D-ring, black Converse, U.S. Divers mask and snorkel (in vehicle)
  38. Large screwdriver and small manual hand drill (well it’s a screwdriver & drill, and good for jumping some vehicles)
I’m adding an old school canteen and cup...

This is kind of a SERE and potential raid/reconnaissance bug out set-up I made. Not paranoid, just never should have watched Red Dawn in the 80s LOL.

If all else fails, I’ll just eat a Snickers Bar

Last edited:
Back