Who makes the best Combat Boot?

In my experience, although limited, that's really not worth your time for a goretex boot unless you're going to be in a really wet environment. Good Wool socks from Point 6 or Smart Wool will do the trick here. And if it was because you'd be going into the snow I would have recommended a Solomon Mountaineering boot.

I actually have a question for those of you with cold weather experience.. At what temperature do you recommend using a Gore-Tex lined boot? If recommended at all, or are thick wool socks a better method for cold climate.

The attached photo is what my weather will be about while out in field.
Get good boots and Gortex or other wet weather socks. Looking at that forecast I'd only wear them 1-2 days anyway.

I enjoy the Nike boots, I've talked to several combat career-field soldiers and they held up for a good piece and also were comfortable on long humps.

Last edited:
I actually have a question for those of you with cold weather experience.. At what temperature do you recommend using a Gore-Tex lined boot? If recommended at all, or are thick wool socks a better method for cold climate.

The attached photo is what my weather will be about while out in field.

What are you going to be doing in the field exactly? How well do your feet tolerate the cold?

What are you going to be doing in the field exactly? How well do your feet tolerate the cold?

Last I knew, just some land navigation.

Feet have only ever gotten cold when wet and in 40's, but pouring rain and 40's every part of my body was pretty cold.

I have only worn 2 different pairs of boots outside the standard issues. Nike combat boots were good. Had no problem with them, but i got them used from my old recruiter and they didn't last long. The other pair I've worn and my personal favorite are the Belleville Tactical Research 550 Khyber II's. I've had two pairs. Until they are broken in, they aren't very comfortable on the front of the ankle/ shin. After about 10-20 miles though, they feel like socks. They are light and drain well. They don't get too hot either. They are great on any terrain, especially mountainous. Sadly, there are no mountains here in Florida. I recommend them.

In my experience, although limited, that's really not worth your time for a goretex boot unless you're going to be in a really wet environment. Good Wool socks from Point 6 or Smart Wool will do the trick here. And if it was because you'd be going into the snow I would have recommended a Solomon Mountaineering boot.
I haven't been anywhere where I haven't stepped in puddles. Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Montana, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia...

Gore Tex boots with synthetic socks are it for me, year round. Clean Gore Tex boots should breath pretty well in the heat, just don't get the ones with Thinsulate or any type of other insulation.

I haven't been anywhere where I haven't stepped in puddles. Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Montana, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia...

Gore Tex boots with synthetic socks are it for me, year round. Clean Gore Tex boots should breath pretty well in the heat, just don't get the ones with Thinsulate or any type of other insulation.
My feet are usually fucked. Even in the mountains I've had bad problems with goretex boots. Idk why, obviously a genetic anomaly like celiac disease except it's taken me ten years of hard marching to be able to not blister after a 12 miler.

I took the risk and wore my GoreTex boots for first time ever after asking.. they were great. Regular issued Altama's.

I'm really eager to try Lowa Zephyrs

Well, my quick .02 at this point is... If it is comfortable for you, and lasts, it's a good boot. Foot shape, walking style, posture, load, terrain, weather are all factors in what makes a great boot. My issued Chippewa SF mountain Boots are stellar for winter mountain use, including hooking into multi-purpose bindings on mil-issued x-c/d-h skis... they suck for most other applications except hunting. I will never wear jungle boots in the winter.

Boots need to fit the terrain and situation, and the terrain and situation need to fit the boots, and the boots need to properly fit your feet.

Get good insoles.

Wear good socks.

Break your boots in.

that's the summation of the last 14 pages.

Well, my quick .02 at this point is... If it is comfortable for you, and lasts, it's a good boot. Foot shape, walking style, posture, load, terrain, weather are all factors in what makes a great boot. My issued Chippewa SF mountain Boots are stellar for winter mountain use, including hooking into multi-purpose bindings on mil-issued x-c/d-h skis... they suck for most other applications except hunting. I will never wear jungle boots in the winter.

Boots need to fit the terrain and situation, and the terrain and situation need to fit the boots, and the boots need to properly fit your feet.

Get good insoles.

Wear good socks.

Break your boots in.

that's the summation of the last 14 pages.

I have a friend who is a former 18D (now a gas-passer); gave me an unused pair of his issue Chippewas, those things are the heat: for cold and snowy mountains. Outside of the mountains, I can't wear them. Too hot and too cumbersome. But the mountains? Yeah, they are awesome.

The Norwegians, in winter, wear a fairly thin all-leather boot with insulating insoles and thick wool socks (even two pairs if need be, or choose varying thicknesses depending on temperature). Working on the principle that it’s easier to regulate the amount of insulation you have in the form of socks than the thickness of your boot. Any liners in the boot might also capture moisture/sweat. That means they’ll dry out more slowly. Moisture in cold weather is bad.
If it’s really cold, snowy or wet, a kind of overboot is used over the leather one, into which another insulating insole is placed. Looks something like this:

126_Overtrekksko_gr_nn_1.jpg

Earlier in this thread I had good reviews for a pair of Lowas, but after wearing the Salomon XA Forces 3D Mids, I will never go back. The Salomons are ridiculously comfortable, very durable, and provide great ankle support.

Earlier in this thread I had good reviews for a pair of Lowas, but after wearing the Salomon XA Forces 3D Mids, I will never go back. The Salomons are ridiculously comfortable, very durable, and provide great ankle support.

My application is different but I wear the same Salomons daily (I have the GTX version). Great boot.

Garmont Bifida T8: They are touted as being a very universal boot that performs well in a variety of climes and terrain. Also, they are credited as being a good 'out of the box' boot. All the reviews are great and the Bifida T8 seems to be a favorite for RASP. Just bought a pair myself and I'll be taking them on a 14 mile ruck soon. I'll post again

...Ok, took these out on a short ruck. Felt comfortable without any break-in, very agile feeling. I have a pair of Tactical Research Khyber IIs, great boots, held in high regard, but clunky. The Garmont Bifida T8 also has good ankle support and performed well going over a variety of terrain; rocky, muddy, sloped. The reviews on these boots say they’re ‘universal’, I agree wholeheartedly. Only a small handful of reviews complain about the sole being glued. However, most say that this boot is the best they’ve owned and compare them to issue boots as well as other solid AR 670-1 compliant boots that can be purchased. To me they felt like a more sturdy and cushioned jungle boot. Good for rucking, but light and tough, with a great sole as well.

Last edited:
Im just curious, does anybody here have expirience with Lowa Zephyr in a long run? I read one review and they just broke off after 50 days of everyday using and few hikes. This happend to both pairs of tested boots so i dont think its just a bad piece.

Attachments

• 0020.jpg-nggid043851-ngg0dyn-0x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg
    0020.jpg-nggid043851-ngg0dyn-0x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Back