Who makes the best Combat Boot?

Im just curious, does anybody here have expirience with Lowa Zephyr in a long run? I read one review and they just broke off after 50 days of everyday using and few hikes. This happend to both pairs of tested boots so i dont think its just a bad piece.

I have a pair of Lowa Zephyr's that I used through the Q course. They were used hard for a year including a ton of field time under a ruck along with garrison wear, and they are still going strong. I'd say a solid 1/3 of my classmates used them too. They were very highly regarded by my class.

Im just curious, does anybody here have expirience with Lowa Zephyr in a long run? I read one review and they just broke off after 50 days of everyday using and few hikes. This happend to both pairs of tested boots so i dont think its just a bad piece.

@Jack99Cz, warranty says take them back, otherwise contact LOWA warranty if you haven't already below(taken from their website).

Warranty
Your LOWA boots are warranted to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase. Your exclusive remedy for breach of such warranty is repair or replacement of your LOWA boots. If your LOWA boots need repair of replacement due to defect in workmanship or materials, simply return your LOWA boots to your LOWA boots dealer with proof of purchase within 12 months of purchase.
Questions? Call our customer service team: 877-307-7277. Or click here to send us an email.
Limitations on Warranty:
The warranty on your LOWA boots is limited to the warranty set forth above. Such warranty does not apply to ordinary wear and tear or to damage resulting from abuse, negligence, improper repairs, inadequate fit, alterations, modifications or if your LOWA boots are used other than in the manner intended. There are no other warranties that extend beyond the description on the face hereof.
EXCEPT FOR THE WARRANTY SET FORTH ABOVE, LOWA HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND EXCLUDES ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED BY STATE LAW, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I've worn Danner over the years, but not happy with the pair I am currently wearing. Only 5-6 months old, and coming apart.

Attachments

• 15399612801502052475639.jpg
    15399612801502052475639.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
@Topkick Just picked up a pair of these. They have the agility of the old jungle boot, with the support of a much more robust boot. They are AR670-1 compliant (for those who need to be) and have great reviews, in high percentages. I really like them so far. Have a pair of Tactical Research Khyber IIs but those are too clunky for me, despite being built like tank treads Garmont T8 BIFIDA Boots (Coyote) T8-498

I agree. It surprised me that my current Danner's are falling apart so soon and I hope its a fluke. I've worn Danner boots for years and until now I would recommend them first to anyone. I'll not rush to judgement.

@Topkick Teuful’s Danners in this thread are a different beast for even Danner boots. One look at them and you’ll see what I mean. His are more of an all terrain field boot, yours strike me as a get in get out assault boot.

I've read this whole thread, and searched, but didn't find anything substantial on this:

Anybody using the Salomon Forces Guardian? I know that the Solomon Quest 4d are a staple cool guy boot, but haven't seen much on their authorized option. I'm asking because SFAS is in my near future, and I want to bring a few broken-in boot options.

I know that people have been selected and non-selected wearing anything from issued boots to Gucci pillows, and that there are other things that matter more. So I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but there's no reason to not use what works and is the current go-to. But the "best boot" has a tendency to be subjective, and also can change a lot in the span of the 13 years this thread has existed.

I've been extensively recommended the Garmont T8 NFS, as an overall boot so I'm definitely heeding that wisdom. Also the Nike SFB Gen 2 (which I already own and love) are great for runs. Now I'm looking for anecdotal info about the Solomon Guardian.

Thanks.

If you spent long enough in the bush the black leather wore off exposing the tan cowhide underneath...and the boots became supple, almost like moccasins.

It was a mark of pride among bushrats to have tan jungle boots. Only REMFs and FNGs had black JBs.

If you spent long enough in the bush the black leather wore off exposing the tan cowhide underneath...and the boots became supple, almost like moccasins.

It was a mark of pride among bushrats to have tan jungle boots. Only REMFs and FNGs had black JBs.

I’ve had both. JBs with the toes heels and sides brown, with faded canvas. And JBs that I could look down at while wearing and see my pearly whites. One of the most comfortable, versatile boots I’ve ever worn. My issued boots are long gone. These are Endicott Johnsons from...1968!!!

Sadly they’re no longer AR 670-1

Last edited:
I've read this whole thread, and searched, but didn't find anything substantial on this:

Anybody using the Salomon Forces Guardian? I know that the Solomon Quest 4d are a staple cool guy boot, but haven't seen much on their authorized option. I'm asking because SFAS is in my near future, and I want to bring a few broken-in boot options.

I know that people have been selected and non-selected wearing anything from issued boots to Gucci pillows, and that there are other things that matter more. So I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but there's no reason to not use what works and is the current go-to. But the "best boot" has a tendency to be subjective, and also can change a lot in the span of the 13 years this thread has existed.

I've been extensively recommended the Garmont T8 NFS, as an overall boot so I'm definitely heeding that wisdom. Also the Nike SFB Gen 2 (which I already own and love) are great for runs. Now I'm looking for anecdotal info about the Solomon Guardian.

Thanks.

If you already own and like the Nikes, I would stick with those. I personally use the Nikes in Garrison and like them as well. I have owned many sets of Solomons, but none of their tan ones. I would contact someone at SFAS or who someone who has recently finished and make sure whatever you bring is allowed. It is always changing, but nothing worse than breaking in a set of boots to sit at home in your closet.

If you already own and like the Nikes, I would stick with those. I personally use the Nikes in Garrison and like them as well. I have owned many sets of Solomons, but none of their tan ones. I would contact someone at SFAS or who someone who has recently finished and make sure whatever you bring is allowed. It is always changing, but nothing worse than breaking in a set of boots to sit at home in your closet.

Copy that. I snagged a pair of the Garmonts, so I'm just going to roll with those and the Nikes. I'll confirm that they are good to go for Selection and count the boot box as checked.

Copy that. I snagged a pair of the Garmonts, so I'm just going to roll with those and the Nikes. I'll confirm that they are good to go for Selection and count the boot box as checked.

I love Garmonts, have a pair of Bifida T8s that I’ve done roughly 100 miles in. But upon suggesting them to a buddy that is active in the 101st he said they won’t be AR-670-1 come October. So, I’d suggest looking into that.

Last edited:
Back