Who makes the best Combat Boot?

i have always loved my Danner Acadia;

My unit issued me a pair of Oakley boots; I officially don't like them. For one thing, they're not speed laces, so it takes longer to get them on and off. For another, they're shorter than regular boots; less ankle protection, and my pants pull out of the top when I sit down. I'd wear them with a pair of shorts, but for regular wear I'll stick with the issue desert combat boot.

I think some folks wouldn't have bought them if they weren't made by Oakley, and didn't come in a box that said, "elite special forces standard issue."

I never needed inserts for my Wellcos.

Speaking of inserts, there are plenty of people who need them but don't realize they do. I didn't until I purchased a pair on the recommendation of an SF Officer prior to my going to SFAS. They made all the difference in my low-back pain while carrying heavy loads during a specific week at SFAS.

A common misconception when purchasing inserts/footbeds for military boots is that most believe, wrongly, inserts should provide padding. In fact their purpose is to place your foot in the correct anatomic position to support whatever load is placed upon them. Military boots, with the exception of Hanwag who custom fit inserts into their boots when you purchase a pair of boots from them, provide very little support for your feet. If your feet or low-back hurt when standing, or if either hurt when you ruck/run I would recommend getting a pair.

I have either green Superfeet or Sole Technology foot beds in every pair of military boots and running shoes I have...

Just some food for thought.

Crip

Oakleys blow. Hot, not sturdy, and they slip like crazy on hard wet surfaces.

I haven't tried many different kinds, but the IDF issue combat boots rocked. I bought orthotics and put em in from the start. They had no hot spots, conformed to my foot quickly but didn't stretch out too much, had no seams in fucked up places, were waterproof up to the ankle, and light as hell. Soles were moderately grippy on all surfaces, ie a good compromise between wear and grippiness. The sole is tough, but with plenty of give to cushion.

I went through 1.5 pairs in 3 years, the second pair still had tons of life left in em.

One time some dude was rolling burning tires stuffed with aerosol cans down the hill toward out checkpoint (in the West Bank). We got bored/annoyed, so we chased him into the casbah a bit. I burst in a half open door that I saw him run into seconds before, to find a Palestinian dude hard at work on a sewing machine. Around him were piled hundreds of unsewn IDF red paratroop boots and soles. I smiled, pointed to my boots, said 'Keep up the good work!', and left him alone.

http://www.zahal.org/gear/p3.htm

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/86/2c/ee40_2.JPG

Btw, on the orthotic topic:

I stress fracture a bone in my foot training before the military. That forced me to spend the $300 for the orthotics, and my my, they were SO worth it. I'm one of the few who had no stress fractures, splints, or sprains in 3 years infantry duty. Freakin GREAT! They do not cushion at all, that's the shoe's job.

Some of the ready made ones are pretty good nowdays, but nothing beats custom.

I have heard all sorts of feet and boot stories over the years but they all amount to the same thing. Everyones feet are different and you have got to find what suits the size and shape of your foot.

In the military: British army DMS boots killed my feet. I loved Boots Urban Patrol, issued in Northern Ireland, so I got a spare set. Then we finally got issued high leg boots with a stooopid woven nylon insole - so I invested in some decent orthotic trainer insoles. Also tried Doc Martin boots as a private purchase. Work wise I received a set of Danner Acadia's, loved them.

Karrimor KSB's are a good general civilian boot, if you are yomping and you are in a unit that gives you freedom of choice in footwear selection.

In the Police: Stupidly, I looked at what everyone else was wearing and bought some Hi Tec magnums - wore them 4 times and binned them. Went back to a nice pair of Danner Acadias.

Off duty: a good pair of dessie's with para cord laces; a pair of Asic's; or, some nice deck shoes.

I still do a fair bit of yomping and have always found that the only way to avoid blisters is: walk a lot to harden the feet; keep toe nails trimmed neatly; wear good socks, two pairs. One of my friends used to wipe surgical spirit on his feet to harden them and another used a pottasium permanganate foot bath.

WTF is yomping? I mean, I like the sound of it, but before I wholeheartedly back the practice, I'd like to know what it is.

lol

for all alaskan weather I have had nothing but a good experience with my Rocky Pursuaders.. and that's all kinds of terrain and weather with them worn thru.. waterproof to the top with 800 grams thinsulate and goretex.. good stuff

WTF is yomping? I mean, I like the sound of it, but before I wholeheartedly back the practice, I'd like to know what it is.
lol

Yomp (verb) Yomped, yomping, yomps.

Old military term, mainly used by Royal Marines, meaning foot travel, usually to a forced march pace.

Example: "We'd yomped all night to the FRV but the CO had decided to move it on, so we kept on 'kin yompin".

Another term:

Tab (verb) Tabbed, tabbing, tabs.

See yomping, but term mainly used by Parachute Regiment.

Hope this clarifies a bit.:)

Yomping and tabbing are slightly different methods of moving however, both essensually rucking, though there is a different technique to tabbing, its faster for one thing, bloody hard IMO.

Yomping and tabbing are slightly different methods of moving however, both essensually rucking, though there is a different technique to tabbing, its faster for one thing, bloody hard IMO.

Essentially both get you from A to B:) . The Bootie 'Yomp' is more of a 'stride' wheras the para 'tab' tends to be a combined 'shuffle-jog'. I find that once in the groove with a 'tab' you can go all day, a yomp tends to hurt on the shins if you can't quite get into it.

Note: Both methods are performed when wearing fighting order, at a minimum (25 - 30lbs plus weapon and water).

Wheras, when Booties (Marines) go ashore (go out for a drink) they tend to 'Bimble' (walk in a non-military manner).

LMAO 'bimble'

Very nice descriptions! In the IDF we alternate between the two as needed. Lets call it 'yabbing'. Or is 'Tomping' better?

Question...

What are the guys in Regt. currently being issued for overseas? I remember seeing them when I was in A-stan for all of 6 weeks and they looked more like civilian hiking boots.

Essentially both get you from A to B:) . The Bootie 'Yomp' is more of a 'stride' wheras the para 'tab' tends to be a combined 'shuffle-jog'. I find that once in the groove with a 'tab' you can go all day, a yomp tends to hurt on the shins if you can't quite get into it.

Note: Both methods are performed when wearing fighting order, at a minimum (25 - 30lbs plus weapon and water).

TAB = Tactical Advance to Battle, performed with and without Bergens, normally with.

Paras generally don't jump into battle without Bergens ;)

i had a couple different sets of altamas, now things might be different and you might get to wear what is comfortable within reason..

right now I have rocky alpha forces on, side zip waterproof... composite safety toe and shank...

Back