Wounded Site Member- Surgicalcric

I'm curious, do you put a different type of sauce/rub on different portions of the elk? Is it a lighter meat, darker meat thing?

Oh good lord. I think I'm trying to learn to cook.

Taken from the "100 day Burpee Challenge" thread to prevent derailing the topic...

...And Surgicalcric- you are truly inspirational. I'm pretty certain you will set the new standard in regards to minimizing rehab time. Granted there might be some pissed off doctors and physical therapists along the way.

Thank you for the kind words - I have been known to piss off a Doc, Nurse, or Phys Therapist or two at times...

To be honest every day provides a new challenge and a new day to be thankful for life. My Docs, especially the Gen/Trauma surgeon (former SEAL) who has pretty much monopolized my case and thats a great thing, tells me (me and X_SFmed) constantly how impressed the entire staff is with my progress and rehab. In fact, and I believe X_sf mentioned it before, one of the PMR (Phys Med & Rehab) Docs mentioned that I heal so fast they were expecting to walk in one day during morning rounds to find that I had regenerated a left leg. If only that could happen.

I try with every day to grow stronger and more agile and to focus on getting back to an ODA. After all, the 11 other guys on the team demand that I be in the absolute best shape possible - not only the best shape possible but to be whole. Knowing this means accepting the fact that my days on a team were cut short on 28 Oct. [GULP] That was and is a very hard pill to swallow for me and anyone who knows me or has had the chance to sit in my room and talk about my injury has seen it in my face as the tears stream from my eyes. I wasnt done doing what I thought I was sent here to do - apparently there was a FRAGO passed down from God that said otherwise and now I have to discover what my new mission in life is and how I can best serve the Regiment. "I will not go quietly into the night."

That said, my rehab is a direct reflection of the support you guys and others within and outside of the SOF community have shown me and my family. As I have said before, it is impossible for me to express through words what that support has and does mean to me and what it does to further solidify my drive. So what better way to show my appreciation for that support than to work tirelessly on my eventual return to SF. It has been and will continue to be an uphill struggle. However with each day the grade decreases and the distance shortens. I have good days where I get out of bed with a nothing can stop me attitude yet other days where my skin grafts and areas of complex tissue resolution hurt so bad I dont even want to get dressed (easy ladies...dont get so excited.) I continue to push through to see recovery/rehab milestone after milestone get checked off by the staff.

More to follow...

I dont even want to get dressed (easy ladies...dont get so excited.)

Too late. :thumbsup:

J, every day I give thanks you lived. Every I pray it gets "easier" for you. Every day I give thanks you are my friend.

And every time the bullshit word cannot even tries to enter my mind I think of you and your strength, pull up my big girl panties and drive the fuck on.

I have absolutely no doubt you have many more great things to do, both professionally and personally. Stay strong.

I am sorry to hear about this but be encouraged. You are in good hands! Be well!

Depends on how much Elk you take back... ;-)

LL
I'm curious, do you put a different type of sauce/rub on different portions of the elk? Is it a lighter meat, darker meat thing?

Oh good lord. I think I'm trying to learn to cook.

The elk steak (12 single portion rib eyes) was "de-gamed" (drawing excess blood from the meat) overnight in 1 tsp salt in a quart of cool/cold water in the fridge; patted dry; heavily dusted with Jess Hall's seasoned salt (mild Serendipity), freshly ground pepper melange, minced Garlic, and 'Dillo Dust; let stand for about 30 min; and then drown in about 1/3 bottle of Efeste 'Final- Final' (a wonderful Cab Sau/Syrah blend); let marinate for just over 48 hrs - then grill about 4 minutes a side... we used plastic untensils... serve with grill roasted potatoes and onions (in foil with a light coat of olive oil, pepper dill and rosemary) and grilled asparagus. mmmm, mmmm, good.

The elk burger was prepped ( 2 lbs, no de-gaming) with a little olive oil, black pepper, 1/2 a fresh onion(chopped), Jess Hall's mild Serendipity seasoned salt, a little ranch dressing, 3 cheese blend (romano, asiago, parmesan) and gulden's mustard... let stand for about 3 hours before cooking... grill... put on buns, eat.

The food went over well... I think... Crip, your opinion?

all excess from this BBQ was brought to an undernourished, gaunt and extremely small SF Capt and his fellows who were still in the Hospital (on ward)... but I'm sure our valiant tiny CPT from North Dakota ate a little more of the elk than the others.... (Viper, you know who I'm talking about)

and that's how I cook elk in an 'urban' setting....

OMG that elk turned out awesome.

I have one of the burgers and was working my way thru #2 when I couldnt eat anymore. I saved the steak for our beloved emaciated CPT in the 4th ward.

PsyopWildDog: I owe you big time Brother. If you eer make your way out here please consider my home yours. Hopefully I will eventually make my way out west for a hunt.

sf med- yep, I know the one....and I'm sure if I ever call him "tiny" he will take off his prosthetic and beat me with it. A soon-to-be-brother ODA det cdr called him "mongo" one day in class and his look nearly Chuck Norris'ed the whole classroom.

J- Keep kicking recovery's ass brother!

sf med- yep, I know the one....and I'm sure if I ever call him "tiny" he will take off his prosthetic and beat me with it. A soon-to-be-brother ODA det cdr called him "mongo" one day in class and his look nearly Chuck Norris'ed the whole classroom.

J- Keep kicking recovery's ass brother!

V1... he could crush you ... with one hand, in his sleep... by mistake... He does make Thor or Cpt America look like 98 lb weaklings.

I just got caught up on this, and all I can say is what an inspiration you are. Prayers out to you brother for your speedy recovery.

Sorry for the delay in updating this. I have been a lil busy with the rehab of my body as well as my brain and spirit. Despite my best efforts, this has taken a toll on me. In an effort to get back to a normal, albeit new normal, I have been away from the board a while and have been spending time in the pool, weight room, on the road rucking (last week I made 8 miles in 158 minutes with a 45lb ruck.)

I ran for the first time Thursday since my injury, I was supposed to run Wednesday but put it off to 6 June** hoping to pay homage to the men who gave their last measure on that solemn day. Thank you dad for what you did then and continued to do - RIP.

As for the run, it was a mere 3/4 mile but it felt wonderful to be running again. The left leg feels fine but my right inguinal space was tired yesterday and is a bit sore today - then again my anatomy in that area isn't quite the same so I imagine the muscles are still trying to figure out what all happened Thursday. According to my phys therapist less than 1 in 20 (5%) of above knee amputees ever attempt running again and those that do are past the one year post injury date. I am 5 months ahead of schedule. I will be up running again Monday morning and am hoping to be released to run on my own in the next weeks. As you can see from the video I have some gate issues to work out... Army 10-miler here I come!

Standing tall and holding the line here guys

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. With them I will continue to lean forward in the foxhole.

** Here at Walter Reed there wasnt even a mention or memorial to the men who gave all on 6 June 1944, but the command had time to pay respect to the Caribbean-Americans in our history. It made me so sick I used a comment card, complete with name and rank, to express my contempt for the command here and their disregard for those great men while at the same time lifting up peoples who would rather identify with themselves and others that would further separate our nation among racial lines than with America the great - it disgusted me!! Those not proud of being an [unhyphenated] American can get the fuck out!!

Back