Wounded Site Member- Surgicalcric

He sent me an abusive message today, screw that guy.

We all send you abusive messages, it's the only way you'll understand us.

...and sheepshagging kiwi wanker is not abusive... it means: we luuuuuuuuuuuurve you in a non geigh way. When we call you Fuckhead, well that might be abusive.

Well it's been almost a year (14 Oct 2012) since my initial injury and 18 days left til my alive date (28 Oct 2012). Honestly I cannot believe it's been almost a year since I looked down and thought, "fuck, that was an IED! Oh well, guess I gotta do something."

I was asked recently by the principal of a high school during a military mentorship day, "what makes someone not quit? What makes them pick themselves up and drive on with life?" Talk about a pause for a little introspection. Personally I think it is any number of reasons: personal drive, the way you were raised from childhood, dedication to those around you, situation you are in, pride, etc... But no matter your reason they all share one thing in common, the decision point where you do something about it. For me there was really never a question. I never thought, huh I wonder if I should just give up and bleed out. I mean it hurt, but what leg severing IED blast doesn't.

I put a TQ on the leg, made certain my battle rifle was in battery, moved into cover, and started tending to my jacked up pelvis/perineum all the while giving my team sergeant directions to where I was, after calling "eagle down" over the net. In talking to my team sergeant it is guesstimated that between the blast site and the CCP inside the VSP I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-2.5 liters of my blood volume before hemostasis was gained on my pelvic bleeders. All the while I am talking to my team mates, setting out security, hanging IV fluids and prepping the FAST IO injector for use on me and telling some of the guys to toughen the fuck up that I would be back later that night - a joke referencing me getting caught making my own flight plans to get back with my team after my first IED encounter. Looking back, laying down and accepting others treating me while still capable of helping myself was me quitting - that's not anything I was ready to do. I guess I was running on autopilot. About training we often repeat the axiom about falling back to our lowest level of proficiency under duress - not bragging but I wish everyone really understood that the way some if us do.

Stand I here almost a year and 47 surgeries later readying myself to step "Unto the breech" once more. To that end I am in the gym 3-4x week, running 3x week, and rucking twice. I took a diagnostic APFT a couple days ago: 78 p/u, 68 s/u (after having to put my leg back on -gotta fix that sweating/slipping issue), and a 15:05 run. My 12 mile ruck time was 3hrs 14min. Still have a long way to go...but quit I shall not. I have a 1/2 marathon in Birmingham, AL to run in Feb, in body armor...

Quitting can be found between losing and winning for those who don't know.

Last edited:
@RustyShackleford I second your statement sir.

Well it's been almost a year (14 Oct 2012) since my initial injury and 18 days left til my alive date (28 Oct 2012). Honestly I cannot believe it's been almost a year since I looked down and thought, "fuck, that was an IED! Oh well, guess I gotta do something."

I was asked recently by the principal of a high school during a military mentorship day, "what makes someone not quit? What makes them pick themselves up and drive on with life?" Talk about a pause for a little introspection. Personally I think it is any number of reasons: personal drive, the way you were raised from childhood, dedication to those around you, situation you are in, pride, etc... But no matter your reason they all share one thing in common, the decision point where you do something about it. For me there was really never a question. I never thought, huh I wonder if I should just give up and bleed out. I mean it hurt, but what leg severing IED blast doesn't.

I put a TQ on the leg, made certain my battle rifle was in battery, moved into cover, and started tending to my jacked up pelvis/perineum all the while giving my team sergeant directions to where I was, after calling "eagle down" over the net. In talking to my team sergeant it is guesstimated that between the blast site and the CCP inside the VSP I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-2.5 liters of my blood volume before hemostasis was gained on my pelvic bleeders. All the while I am talking to my team mates, setting out security, hanging IV fluids and prepping the FAST IO injector for use on me and telling some of the guys to toughen the fuck up that I would be back later that night - a joke referencing me getting caught making my own flight plans to get back with my team after my first IED encounter. Looking back, laying down and accepting others treating me while still capable of helping myself was me quitting - that's not anything I was ready to do.

Stand I here almost a year and 47 surgeries later readying myself to step "Unto the breech" once more. To that end I am in the gym 3-4x week, running 3x week, and rucking twice. I took a diagnostic APFT a couple days ago: 78 p/u, 68 s/u (after having to put my leg back on -gotta fix that sweating/slipping issue), and a 15:05 run. My 12 mile ruck time was 3hrs 14min. Still have a long way to go...but quit I shall not.

Quitting can be found between losing and winning for those who don't know.

Simply amazing. Keep kicking ass.

ZM.

Crip you kick ass and take names. I think you're hardcore. I will buy you beer anytime.

Back