Your 2022 Relieved Naval Commander Thread

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
Verified Military
I used to relish these annual threads, laugh at the whole stupidity that would get these guys fired.

Nowadays though, there’s just not as much humor. When I see career officers being fired for “inappropriate behavior“ I often think to myself, inappropriate to whom?

Did they really do some thing that egregious, or did they just do or say something In 2022 that would have gone unnoticed in 2012.

The Navy and Marine Corps like to kick around the phrase “lack of confidence in his/her abllity to lead “ , well I have a lack of confidence in Navy and Marine Corps ability to lead. (Channeling Al Pacino’s “out of order” speech).

- Edited for grammar

Last edited:

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
SOF Support
#FAFO

Commanding a squadron or ship must be the highest of highs coupled with the knowledge than the wrong word can lead to a relief of command.

Imagine the Navy saying you've earned the right to command a strike fighter squadron, but knowing you're on the razor's edge if something goes wrong. That is terrifying and...how do you shrink away from the challenge?

Amidst all of that you're taking that squadron to war?

O-5's across the services have faced that for the last 20 years. Whatever my complaints, gripes, and outright criticism of the military...strong work. Props to those who brought their people home.

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
#FAFO

Commanding a squadron or ship must be the highest of highs coupled with the knowledge than the wrong word can lead to a relief of command.

Imagine the Navy saying you've earned the right to command a strike fighter squadron, but knowing you're on the razor's edge if something goes wrong. That is terrifying and...how do you shrink away from the challenge?

Amidst all of that you're taking that squadron to war?

O-5's across the services have faced that for the last 20 years. Whatever my complaints, gripes, and outright criticism of the military...strong work. Props to those who brought their people home.
The number of command programs has exploded as well. All of them inspected annually. There is way more bureaucracy across all command functions than there used to be.

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
The Navy hasn’t had a good naval war to fight since 1945. Yeah, carrier ops, cruise missile strikes, SEALs conducting ops on land and stealing glory from the blue water crowd…but no real damn-the-torpedos-shit on the bounding main since the days of Bull Halsey.

If they had to worry about people sinking their aircraft carriers, maybe there wouldn’t be so much time to focus on bureaucratic bullshit and woke culture politics.

Cookie_

SOF Support
The prevalence of firings on "loss of trust and confidence" reminds me of this article from The Warhorse.

It details a specific instance of the Marines using the phrase with a Lt. Col fired for being charged with DV.

... the release had been stripped of any explanation for the relief of command and offered only “lost trust and confidence”—a term all too common to reporters who cover the military. It’s often used as a catchall when a top commander has been removed from a post as a way to avoid details, even if those details are publicly reportable, as is the case with domestic violence.

They also do a quick run down of a bunch of the (semi) recent firings across the force that were for "loss of trust and confidence" and highlight some of the actual reasons people were removed.

The War Horse found that since 2013, at least 13 senior Army officers have been relieved for “loss of trust and confidence” following myriad unauthorized or illegal behaviors. A lieutenant general plagiarised essays at a military school. Two major generals were relieved for failing to properly handle reports of sexual assault. At least three brigadier generals were also removed: one for unknown reasons, one for poor performance, and one for disrespecting subordinates. In another case, a colonel provided free medical care to unauthorized civilians. The details were withheld for at least three other colonels relieved of their commands. Many of the officers appear to still be serving on active duty.

The War Horse identified at least 29 relieved Air Force commanders during this investigation. Two lieutenant colonels were fired for hazing. Two major generals were fired, one for an unprofessional relationship and the other for unspecified allegations of misconduct. A third major general, the service’s highest-ranking female fighter pilot, was fired for fostering a “toxic” unit climate. One of them, a brigadier general who was relieved for allegedly abusing her position of authority at the Air Force Academy, now serves as the chief of staff for the Space Force.

The War Horse also identified at least 41 Navy commanders. Twelve were captains and five were admirals. Among those cases, an admiral was fired for an “inappropriate relationship” with another sailor, a senior officer lied repeatedly about the location of his vessel, and another lied to military investigators. In August 2019 alone, five of the Navy’s most senior officers were fired for unknown, “unrelated” reasons. In the majority of cases, the government restricted information that shows whether the firings were for misconduct or poor performance. Most recently, the Navy declined to release information to a news outlet following the controversial relief of a senior fleet commander. Even though the news outlet Task and Purpose requested the information, military officials determined the journalist was not “a person primarily engaged in disseminating information to the public” and that the information he had requested was not “urgent to inform the public about an actual or alleged federal government activity.”

In addition to withholding information, there are also recent instances of service members violating civil rights, including officials blocking public social media comments about military sexual assault and war crimes, and routinely denying lawful requests under the Freedom of Information Act.

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
“A senior officer lied repeatedly about the location of his vessel.”

“Be advised, we are conducting combat drills 2 miles off Virginia Beach.” Sound of Mardi Gras in background, girls giggling, screams, loud rock music. “I say again, and I’m serious…we are not anywhere having fun…”

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
The prevalence of firings on "loss of trust and confidence" reminds me of this article from The Warhorse.

It details a specific instance of the Marines using the phrase with a Lt. Col fired for being charged with DV.

They also do a quick run down of a bunch of the (semi) recent firings across the force that were for "loss of trust and confidence" and highlight some of the actual reasons people were removed.
The Zavala case is interesting because as I understand it the allegations were never proven and there was no evidence such as photographs or police reports to back up his ex wife’s allegations. I don’t think it went to trial and Zavala was never charged with any crimes for it. It seems that in these cases though you are presumed guilty before being found innocent unfortunately. I think that’s part of why the military obfuscates the reason for relief sometimes. These are very public events and the threshold for evidence is very low. That said he could also be guilty of those crimes. We will never know for sure but either way he received a form of sentencing.

Last edited:

Kaldak

Wheelchair Kamikaze
Verified Military
The Zavala case is interesting because as I understand it the allegations were never proven and there was no evidence such as photographs or police reports to back up his ex wife’s allegations. I don’t think it went to trial and Zavala was never charged with any crimes for it. It seems that in these cases though you are presumed guilty before being found innocent unfortunately. I think that’s part of why the military obfuscates the reason for relief sometimes. These are very public events and the threshold for evidence is very low.

Sad, but true, and wrong in my opinion. But, .mil do .mil as always.

ETA: See bold.

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
Sad, but true, and wrong in my opinion. But, .mil do .mil as always.

ETA: See bold.

The list of indiscretions and offenses that can get you shitcanned gets longer every day. And if they run out, they’ll invent new ones.

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
A sailor, harassed by her XO, alleges her superiors didn’t intervene

On May 10, the Navy quietly fired the second-in-command of a Florida-based training unit after an investigation found he sexually harassed female subordinates.

Witnesses recalled how Cmdr. Richard Martinez, then-executive officer of the Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit Jacksonville, told a female petty officer to remove her mask during a November evaluation debrief so that he could see her “pretty face,” or words to that effect, part of a “pattern of making unprofessional and inappropriate comments during the performance evaluation debriefs.”

Happened in May but hit the news recently.

Last edited:

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
Coast Guard Sidelines Cutter Commander After Mishap on Board

The Coast Guard has relieved the commander of the National Security Cutter James while the service investigates an undisclosed incident that occurred on board.

Capt. Marc Brandt was relieved Aug. 26 and temporarily reassigned to Coast Guard Atlantic Area in Portsmouth following a mishap in which "no personnel were injured," according to a press release published Friday. The service did not provide further details.

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
Navy Fires Commander Over ‘Loss of Confidence in His Ability to Command’

The Navy announced in a Monday release that it has fired Rear Adm. Trent DeMoss, commander of Fleet Readiness Centers (FRCs), “due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command.” Capt. Christopher Couch, COMFRC vice commander, has taken over his duties until the Navy finds a replacement. According to his bio on the Navy’s website,