Your 2024 relieved Naval Commander Thread

Another one bites the dust...what's the difference between Blue and Gold crews, BTW?

Navy fires captain of guided missile submarine for 'loss of confidence'
Blue & Gold Crews

"TRIDENT submarines, like all previous SSBN's, have two separate identical crews (called "blue" and "gold" for the Navy colors) who alternate manning the boat. This arrangement allows for maximum utilization of the ship at sea, while managing to maintain quality of life for the assigned crew members. While one crew takes the boat to sea on its regular cycle of refit and a two month patrol, the other is back at Kings Bay. There, the (off) crew members have a two-week "R and R" period following their two-month confinement in the submarine. They then undergo intensive refresher training in preparation for the next patrol.
The SSBN cycle repeats every 200 days. This means that each cycle will appear to move back by 35 days. This allows the crew to be home for holidays and the seasons they may have missed the previous year. Over a nominal three year tour, each crew member will have the opportunity to be home for two holiday seasons.

The two-crew system accomplishes several objectives. Most importantly, it enables the submarine to be at sea more than eight months during the year. This means the submarine can be kept at sea for over two thirds of its operational lifetime. An SSBN at sea and submerged is essentially invisible, and hence survivable from an enemy attack. This enables proper execution of the SSBN's strategic deterrence mission.

Second, it provides a regular program of refresher training for the "off" crew. Each crew must be ready at all times while on patrol. They must be experts on their equipment to keep it running during the long patrol. Refresher training on equipment exactly like that found on the sub keeps the "off" crew sharp. Intensive instruction serves to continually upgrade their knowledge.

Finally, there are refinements and improvements consistently being made to the weapons system's various equipment operating procedures. These changes, which must be well understood by submariners, are thoroughly studied during the "off" crew period."

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sick and tired of seeing commanders fired because of a DUI, abuse/ bullying, a sexual relationship or two...The officer/ senior NCO corps can do so much better, can be better.

Where's the bestiality, kidnapping, mail theft, arson...? We copy-paste briefs, contracts, policies, and everything else, so why are we copy-pasting crimes? Be original! Be yourself! Be better! Go burn down a gov't building. Operate a sex dungeon. Make a petting zoo your bitch. If you're going to burn out, then burn brightly.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sick and tired of seeing commanders fired because of a DUI, abuse/ bullying, a sexual relationship or two...The officer/ senior NCO corps can do so much better, can be better.
The Army was good to me. I rose to the level I deserved, although it wasn't the level I wanted.

I look at many of the people that did reach that next level and then made the news for all the wrong reasons, and I think "I may not have made X rank, but I also never did X crime." Joke's on you, Army.

Too much grog, matey. Another outstanding career goes down in flames for want of a designated driver.

The Navy used to have a real position called a rum bosun, whose job it was was to distribute the daily rum rations. Even the skipper could get in on the action. Prohibition just makes the want worse.

Ahhhh... good times, good times....

Because I am a weird statistics freak and like context, I looked up US Navy info from WW2 (for instance, did you know the strength of the navy in December, 1941, was just 3,000 fewer men than we have now?). One in three sub commanders were relieved from duty. I cannot find any info about surface vessels.

I talked with a couple guys to whom I have been introduced, an attack sub skipper and a former P8 squadron CO, about these firings. They said that in command school they are told what gets you fired; of course, the 'hard and fast' are easy to stay away from (screwing a shipmate, assault, DWI, grounding a boat), others are nebulous, both said they were told in school "anything less than 100% can get you fired."

They also said that in many cases the officer is a good officer and gets a new job and goes on with his/her career, but in some cases (previous examples), they tend to be career killers.

Army enters the chat:

Ranger training battalion commander suspended

The commander of the 5th Ranger Training Battalion at Camp Merrill, Georgia has been suspended from pending the outcome of an investigation, officials confirmed Tuesday.

Lt. Col. Nathan Showman was suspended on Jan. 26, according to a statement from the Maneuver Center of Excellence public affairs office following an Army Times query.

Army enters the chat:

Ranger training battalion commander suspended

The commander of the 5th Ranger Training Battalion at Camp Merrill, Georgia has been suspended from pending the outcome of an investigation, officials confirmed Tuesday.

Lt. Col. Nathan Showman was suspended on Jan. 26, according to a statement from the Maneuver Center of Excellence public affairs office following an Army Times query.

Interesting....hadn't heard.

I know his family. Good people.

Back