Your 2014 Relieved Naval Commander Thread

I feel like if you are in charge of a boat of any size, your two main concerns would be a) not sinking, and b) not running into the ground.

c) not hitting other boats, ideally, if you can help it.

While the buck stops with the skipper at the end of the day, you guys seem to be having a lot of bumps and things like that that the skipper sometimes has no personal control over. What's the root cause of these issues?

Last edited:
Ironic, Nimitz (IIRC) ran a Destroyer aground and his career didn't come to a swift end.

I don't think he was the only one of his era, but things were different back then. I wish we knew how many cases of ships running aground/ collisions were from the skipper's negligence vice the poor bastard's asleep and his OOD screwed up.

Okay, so when "this" happens, what happens to the officer?

Does he/she ever get a chance to command again or do they automatically begin filing their retirement papers and updating their LinkedIn account?

Okay, so when "this" happens, what happens to the officer?

Does he/she ever get a chance to command again or do they automatically begin filing their retirement papers and updating their LinkedIn account?

Usually the latter. They are done.

I found a picture of the Navy's new Littoral Combat Ship. Try to run aground now!

Alt_3Smuggler%20Strata%20770%20with%20Sealeags%20tech%20Auckland%20On%20Water%20Boat%20Show%20debut_2_LR.jpg

The fuck up has to be several layers deep. There's usually a BM or undes kid steering the ship. I believe the steering is done based on information from the QM & OS folks. At the end of the day, the CO has better things to do than hang out in the pilot house and personally assure the ship doesn't hit a fucking island. Same goes for the Chiefs, the Navy's version of an NCU. But yes, the buck stops with the CO and they have overall control & responsibility for the ship and her crew.

At the end of the day, the CO has better things to do than hang out in the pilot house and personally assure the ship doesn't hit a fucking island.

Which is why there are OODs. The QMs plot course and speed, the OSs watch the radars, but the OOD should be tracking everything and ensuring all the info makes sense.

Which is why there are OODs. The QMs plot course and speed, the OSs watch the radars, but the OOD should be tracking everything and ensuring all the info makes sense.

I get the fact that the captain is responsible for every aspect of the ship, but in reality, when things like this happen can it always be legitimately traced back to the captain as their judgement error somehow?

...and does a captain ever survive something like this?

I get the fact that the captain is responsible for every aspect of the ship, but in reality, when things like this happen can it always be legitimately traced back to the captain as their judgement error somehow?

It depends on what you mean by legitimate. The Captain is ultimately responsible for the ship, but he obviously can't be up there 24/7. So I would say there would have to be a look at how they were training their OODs, and why the CO wasn't on the bridge. I can't definitively speak to whether or not a CO can survive this. In today's military, I would guess probably not.

I seriously doubt it. However, with great power comes great responsibility.

In charted waters there are too many people on the bridge of a ship for it to ever run aground. That is a failure of epic proportions.

In charted waters there are too many people on the bridge of a ship for it to ever run aground. That is a failure of epic proportions.
Assuming the (electronic) charts are correct.

The Capt would have been on the bridge as they were coming into port.

If you track the Naval Command Officers & NCO's that have been relieved in the last year; most of have been for behavior issues. Navigation issues have been less than six in the last two years.

Although this is a bit different than the other incidents of this thread, this "ultimate" relief of duty is interesting due to the Commander's previous work. RIP Commander Doss.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...er-slain-orange-park-was-living-troubled-life

Doss’ career with the Navy was noteworthy for various reasons, including his being part of a team told by terrorist Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, of his role as a mastermind behind 9/11, according to a 2012 story in The Bolivar (Miss.) Commercial, Doss’ hometown newspaper.

The newspaper said he enlisted in the Navy after graduating high school with honors in 1987. He completed two combat deployments in the Mediterranean about the aircraft carriers USS Coral Sea in 1989 and the USS Forrestal in 1991, when it was based at Mayport Naval Air Station.

He was commissioned a naval officer in 1996 through the Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps in program at the University of North Florida and Jacksonville University. He completed two secret counter drug missions in the Caribbean and South America in 1997 and 1998, the Commercial reported.

He also assisted in conducting annual review boards for suspected enemy combatants held at Guantanamo Bay beginning in 2006, the newspaper said. His team was charged with interviewing detainees and conducting boards to determine if they should be released. Mohammed was one of those detainees, the newspaper said. The Times-Union could not confirm that account.

Doss returned to Jacksonville after working at the Naval Education and Training Command in Pensacola, where he’d been stationed since November 2011. He was temporarily stationed in Jacksonville at the Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit, a Navy spokeswoman said.

Doss’ many awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation medal, the Joint Service Achievement medal, the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement medal and the Good Conduct medal. At the time of the Commercial’s story, he was a doctoral student at Trident University International.

Doss was buried in the Jacksonville National Cemetery last week.

Back