Your 2014 Relieved Naval Commander Thread

And yes FF, I believe the internet comment section is the worst invention ever.... go back to the old school letters to the editor, where you had to put your name on opinion.

And yes FF, I believe the internet comment section is the worst invention ever.... go back to the old school letters to the editor, where you had to put your name on opinion.
The one guy that claims to have served with the now former Commander posted his "name".

The one guy that claims to have served with the now former Commander posted his "name".

And for every sincere person to say that there are unknown numbers who are FOS.

There are forums devoted to VIDEO GAMES which are more civilized than news sites. A segment of society which figured out that you could repeatedly squat over a dead opponent and imitate tea-bagging them is more polite than the "citizens" on a news site?

Yeah, we're doomed.

Note to self, if offered the Cowpens, "just say no!"

http://www.stripes.com/news/navy/3rd-cowpens-commander-fired-since-2010-cmc-relieved-1.288264

YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan — The commanding officer of the USS Cowpens and his senior enlisted adviser have been relieved because of a loss of confidence in their work and leadership, according to a Navy news release.

The guided-missile cruiser’s commander, Capt. Gregory W. Gombert, and command master chief, Master Chief Petty Officer Gabriel J. Keeton, were relieved by Rear Adm. Michael Smith, Commander, Carrier Strike Group 3, on Tuesday, officials said.

The pair were relieved because of a loss of confidence in their “ability to effectively lead and carry out their assigned duties,” the Navy said.

The loss of confidence stems from the results of a series of inspections after the San Diego-based ship's return from a deployment to the Western Pacific. Gombert and Keeton have been temporarily reassigned, and an investigation is underway, the news release said.

Gombert is the third commander of the Cowpens to be relieved since 2010.

In January 2010, Capt. Holly Graf was removed from command of the ship — then home-ported at Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan — after an inspector general report substantiated ethical breaches, dereliction of duty, assault of her crew and other misdeeds.

In February 2012, Capt. Robert Marin, a married officer, was relieved of command of the Cowpens after another officer reported that Marin was having an affair with his wife, a base worker at Yokosuka.

Despite the upheaval, the Cowpens, which was the first ship to launch missiles at the start of the Iraq War, has participated in numerous operations in the Pacific, including tsunami relief in Japan in 2011 and typhoon relief in the Philippines last year.

In December, the ship was forced to change course to avoid hitting a Chinese military vessel in the South China Sea. Chinese media reported that the Cowpens had been tailing the newly built aircraft carrier Liaoning, but U.S. officials blamed the incident on aggressive maneuvers by the Chinese.

Capt. Robert B. Chadwick II will assume temporary duties as Cowpens’ commander, and Master Chief Petty Officer Richard J. Putnam will temporarily assume duties as command master chief, officials said.

I'm not going to say that the Navy has an institutional problem, perhaps much of this is simple human nature, BUT....watching 20 or so of your peers being canned EVERY YEAR doesn't dissuade you from being a clown?

I'd like to think that when these guys apply for a job their names are Googled and they are outed as idiots and not hired. They will still draw retirement though if they made it past 20 and I'm sure companies will hire them left and right. In the end, there's no penalty for being a dirtbag in uniform. Make enough rank/ time in and you're golden.

The military wants to talk about reform...it should start from the top down. New ratings systems or uniforms or structure or tattoos.....all of that is bullshit when your leaders are corrupt and nothing's done. A band-aid on an traumatic amputation, but you can say you "tried."

While I'm not defending the CO & CMC because I don't know the details yet, a loss of confidence in their “ability to effectively lead and carry out their assigned duties" is a pretty broad brush stroke. I'd like to know what exactly that means and what the inspectors are looking for. Did it come as the result of a CMEO survey where the crew was bashing the Triad? Or is there something else going on? The real shitty part is these guys/gals from the Cowpens were all O6. Did they think their pedestal was too high for anyone to see their bad deeds?
Freefalling I agree that it has to start at the top, but I think too many people at that level are scared of making waves or rocking the ship (puns intended). From what I have seen at my command, Khakis tend to look out for one another, for better or worse. There will always be outliers and shit birds that NO ONE likes, but the CPO Mess and Ward Room like to maintain a certain public persona. I know it happens everywhere, but managing by exception is a dangerous practice.

http://www.businessinsider.com/relief-uss-james-williams-2014-9

The three top leaders of the guided missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG-95) have been removed and reassigned halfway through the ship's deployment pending the outcome of an investigation into "command climate," the Navy said in a news release Tuesday.

The skipper, Cmdr. Curtis B. Calloway, was relieved at sea by Capt. Anthony L. Simmons, who will take charge of the ship for the rest of the deployment as an investigation moves forward. Calloway, along with Cmdr. Ed Handley, the executive officer, and Command Master Chief Travis Biswell, the top enlisted leader, have been reassigned to staff positions at Naval Surface Force Atlantic.

Other than announcing the high-profile firings and mentioning an investigation, the official word from the Navy offered few details. But as Sam LaGrone notes at the U.S. Naval Institute, the removal of the entire command staff at the same time is quite rare.

The Navy Times offered one possibility as to why:

A Navy official who spoke on background to discuss a sensitive matter said there is a separate investigation being conducted by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service into a liberty incident that occurred in the Sixth Fleet area of operations, but declined to divulge further details.

The Williams left its home port in Norfolk, Virginia, on May 30 for an eight-month deployment in support of U.S. Africa Command.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/relief-uss-james-williams-2014-9#ixzz3Daupwpxn

Jesus, must have been something big for the entire Triad to be reassigned mid-deployment.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Captain-of-USS-Boxer-Relieved-of-Duty-277631221.html

Only 3 months as CO. My guess is something came up on a CMEO survey that may be tied to the previous CO...or something to that effect.
Was he the previous XO?
The link you posted said "In a news release, the Navy did not explain why Brown was fired, but cited “equal opportunity concerns…not tied to a specific event.”

Which makes me believe he favored certain individuals.

Was he the previous XO?
The link you posted said "In a news release, the Navy did not explain why Brown was fired, but cited “equal opportunity concerns…not tied to a specific event.”

Which makes me believe he favored certain individuals.
Yes sir, previous XO. That leads me to believe 1 of 2 things happened.
1) The situation you described where he was showing favoritism as XO, he fleets up to CO, a CMEO survey is done as a result of the change of command and the sailors nail him hard.
2) A CMEO survey was done just before the change of command and the results came out with the new CO taking the brunt of the results.

Yes sir, previous XO. That leads me to believe 1 of 2 things happened.
1) The situation you described where he was showing favoritism as XO, he fleets up to CO, a CMEO survey is done as a result of the change of command and the sailors nail him hard.
2) A CMEO survey was done just before the change of command and the results came out with the new CO taking the brunt of the results.
The new guy taking the hit generally doesn't happen unless he was part of the problem as XO.
It may be possible he has developed a long history of favoritism, and it finally caught up to him.

Makes sense.
I'd really like to know what happens to all these Commanding Officers who are reassigned (to pretty decent commands) while the "investigation is pending".

Makes sense.
I'd really like to know what happens to all these Commanding Officers who are reassigned (to pretty decent commands) while the "investigation is pending".

They are dumped to a staff until the investigation is complete. While I can't find any conclusive evidence, I did notice most of the names in this thread already had LinkedIn pages which if I took the time to view them would probably illuminate their current place in society. My guess is they quietly retired if they had their 20, but many of them were commissioned in 96 or so. Unless they were prior enlisted they don't have their 20.

I had a resume cross my desk years ago. An enlisted sailor, something about it seemed off so I Googled his name. While I couldn't prove his work history was false, even though it didn't seem right, I could point to the DUI or DUI manslaughter case in Japan he walked away from. He wasn't hired, but no one in HR had taken the time to use the Net either... So, you'd like to think the guys and gals in this thread are homeless because of their actions, but the reality is some companies won't care and some won't even bother to do a basic amount of background on their new hire.

They are dumped to a staff until the investigation is complete. While I can't find any conclusive evidence, I did notice most of the names in this thread already had LinkedIn pages which if I took the time to view them would probably illuminate their current place in society. My guess is they quietly retired if they had their 20, but many of them were commissioned in 96 or so. Unless they were prior enlisted they don't have their 20.

I had a resume cross my desk years ago. An enlisted sailor, something about it seemed off so I Googled his name. While I couldn't prove his work history was false, even though it didn't seem right, I could point to the DUI or DUI manslaughter case in Japan he walked away from. He wasn't hired, but no one in HR had taken the time to use the Net either... So, you'd like to think the guys and gals in this thread are homeless because of their actions, but the reality is some companies won't care and some won't even bother to do a basic amount of background on their new hire.

Academy grads only need 16 years to be retirement eligible.
They get a "Special Assistant" to someone job, or a "Special Projects Officer" gig. Their duties consist of giving sworn statements, and consulting with their lawyer.
Afterwards, those that need more time to hit 20 or keep their rank get a series of crappy jobs. More Special Assistant/SPO jobs that don't involve supervising people. Command CFC POC etc. They make good Liaison Officer to another service, etc.
I rarely feel sorry for them, getting to be a Ship's captain usually means they shitcanned someone along the way. Karma baby.

Back