Your 2024 relieved Naval Commander Thread

I was talking recently with a former sub CO (now a civilian) about this topic, he asked me if I had read the paper "The Delta of Command"? I had not, so I did. It is attached (and ironically, the guy who wrote it did so at Duke, about five blocks from my office). It's a great read about the struggle between character and competence in command and what happens when there is discrepancy between the two.

Attachments

• TheDeltaofCommand_21April14_Final-1.pdf
    971.8 KB · Views: 3
Training Command fired the CO of SOI West and the CO of the Recon Training Company recently. Likely stemming from a training fatality from a night live fire event last August. Both of these officers are excellent Marines.

2 leaders fired from Marines’ West Coast infantry school on same day

I took leaderships very seriously, but I knew I was never going to get 'command,' especially as how the Navy frames it with unrestricted line officers. That said, 'command' has always fascinated me, and I have always been very curious as to how people get selected and how people get fired. The doc I posted a few posts above is excellent discussing the competence/character axis, as well as the Navy (and filtered to the Marines as an element of the Navy) zero-defect leadership model.

I guess in other words, I hate seeing good sailors and Marines fired for cause/"loss of confidence."

A leader is a leader despite the bling on the sleeves. The standard is not lowered because she doesn't drive ships. I have never had a CO fired, by I have had a OIC fired, he was MSC. He was a great guy, just in over his head being in charge of a detachment.

We know from the paper I attached that the perfect marriage is competence and character. Most nurses are empaths and dig the touchy-feely thing. My SWAG is she tried to be everyone's friend, she went 180 and was Captain Bligh, or she was just incompetent in the job.

My SWAG is she tried to be everyone's friend, she went 180 and was Captain Bligh, or she was just incompetent in the job.
Probably both. Folks are just promoted beyond their abilities. Personal, technical, professional, whatever.

Probably both. Folks are just promoted beyond their abilities. Personal, technical, professional, whatever.

But not usually, right? We'd hear of so many more firings if that were the case. It comes down to competence or character, or both, which I think is rare. But no doubt that it does happen. People look great on paper, get the right billets, then lay a turd once they get command.

I can't wait for those details to see the light of day.
You knew it was something to do with diddling…

Chaplain of the Coast Guard Fired for 'Loss of Confidence' After Not Acting on Case of Sexual Misconduct

Capt. Daniel Mode, who had served as Chaplain of the Coast Guard since 2022, failed to take action when he was made aware of sexual misconduct by another chaplain that had taken place prior to the other chaplain joining the Navy and serving in the Coast Guard's chaplain corps, according to the Coast Guard.

Random OohRah observation:
We have countless hundreds of posts on this board about fired leaders and even years later it is still difficult to find online “cause” for most of them.

It took the USCG about 69 seconds to release why the fired the priest. I just find that odd.

You knew it was something to do with diddling…

Chaplain of the Coast Guard Fired for 'Loss of Confidence' After Not Acting on Case of Sexual Misconduct

Capt. Daniel Mode, who had served as Chaplain of the Coast Guard since 2022, failed to take action when he was made aware of sexual misconduct by another chaplain that had taken place prior to the other chaplain joining the Navy and serving in the Coast Guard's chaplain corps, according to the Coast Guard.

Random OohRah observation:
We have countless hundreds of posts on this board about fired leaders and even years later it is still difficult to find online “cause” for most of them.

It took the USCG about 69 seconds to release why the fired the priest. I just find that odd.

Odd, yes. But very refreshing.

Back