2016 Presidential Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill would be First Gentleman. "Hey, baby, what color panties you got on" Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

HRC is projected to win Puerto Rico
No surprise there. The island is full of freeloaders that kicked out the last governor to come close to balancing the budget and almost removing their debt. Sad to say that most Ricans on the island are full on "gimmie free stuff" Democrats that want things provided to them.

It's not so simple. PR was absolutely slammed by the recession, and its recovery has been slower than the rest of the US. People have been leaving the country in droves which has depleted the tax base, and investors have been pulling money out of the country. This article explains it pretty well: Puerto Rico Economy Worsens With Crisis, Most Anywhere You Look
Not so fast. PR has had problems since well before the recession. The mentality on the island is one of give me give me give me. The people leaving the island cannot be considered a tax base if there are no jobs for them to work. Going further than the people, PR fucked themselves by wanting to get one of their largest sources of income, the US Military. Roosevelt Roads, Vieques Naval Gunnery Range (I think that's what it was called in the old days), and other bases were essentially pushed off the island, and as a result were damaging to the influx of cash. Coupled with the expiration of tax credits for the island (several years ago), plus the expanding social welfare programs, the island has been in a slow motion spiral long before the most recent recession.

Like any poor author looking to become a SME, he is looking at a very narrow view of the problems on the island. There is a long and troubled history with the island and its economy, government, and people. This isn't the thread to delve into it, but suffice it to say the influence of the island on the coming election will be minimal, however, those on the mainland are an entirely different animal and one can influence the other. To summarize, PR is trying to play both parents against each other in order to get out of their debt crisis. Any restructuring agreement, with the current local government in place, will not result in a better economic/financial situation for the island or its inhabitants.

No surprise there. The island is full of freeloaders that kicked out the last governor to come close to balancing the budget and almost removing their debt. Sad to say that most Ricans on the island are full on "gimmie free stuff" Democrats that want things provided to them.

And big pharma

Vieques is beautiful, I had tanks chasing me all over those hills for a week. There were wild ponies. We let a few whining crybabies push us off. We need to take it back.

Not so fast. PR has had problems since well before the recession. The mentality on the island is one of give me give me give me. The people leaving the island cannot be considered a tax base if there are no jobs for them to work. Going further than the people, PR fucked themselves by wanting to get one of their largest sources of income, the US Military. Roosevelt Roads, Vieques Naval Gunnery Range (I think that's what it was called in the old days), and other bases were essentially pushed off the island, and as a result were damaging to the influx of cash. Coupled with the expiration of tax credits for the island (several years ago), plus the expanding social welfare programs, the island has been in a slow motion spiral long before the most recent recession.

Like any poor author looking to become a SME, he is looking at a very narrow view of the problems on the island. There is a long and troubled history with the island and its economy, government, and people. This isn't the thread to delve into it, but suffice it to say the influence of the island on the coming election will be minimal, however, those on the mainland are an entirely different animal and one can influence the other. To summarize, PR is trying to play both parents against each other in order to get out of their debt crisis. Any restructuring agreement, with the current local government in place, will not result in a better economic/financial situation for the island or its inhabitants.
Puerto Ricans didn't understand/care about the relationship between Vieques and NAS Roosevelt Roads. The thought they could run us out of Vieques and everything else would stay the same.

I think Bush (via Cheney) fucked them by closing everything they could, and we lost abilities in a couple of cases, but much of the Military money spent there was tied to Vieques.

Love him or hate him, Christopher Hitchens was a man with a brilliant mind. Even though I don't agree with everything he says, I'm in awe of the man due to his intelligence and tenacity.

Behold, Hitch on Hillary...

And Obama formally endorses Clinton.

Obama 'Fired up' for Clinton's campaign, urges party unity

Obama, who enjoys strong approval ratings after nearly eight years in office, will appear with Clinton on the campaign trail next week in Wisconsin, her campaign said.

"I don't think there's ever been someone so qualified to hold this office," Obama said of Clinton in a video. "I'm with her. I am fired up, and I cannot wait to get out there and campaign for Hillary."

There won't be an eleventh hour takeover of the campaign nor any charges related to the email server.

There won't be an eleventh hour takeover of the campaign nor any charges related to the email server.

Why are members not able to agree and hate at the same time? That's racist.

Jesus, CNN's webpage looks like she chose Obama as VP and they won. At least they're objective in their reporting!

Last edited:
Px0xQV6.png

lols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back