2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Concur. very disappointed in the coverage of these Olympics.

There has also been a fair amount of discussion around attendance, which is poor at many events. This is due to a lot of factors, many of which are probably centered around the choice of venue/host country, but it takes away from these Olympics.

As I said earlier, I'm a huge fan of the winter Olympics but this one is just missing "spark", "hook" or whatever.

Five minutes of coverage, then five minutes of commercials, then five minutes of coverage etc etc...

The Lindey Vonn/ POTUS supporting troll hate after she didn't medal in the GS - yikes.

Why anyone listens to a pro athlete about politics commentary at all I will never see a genuinely good reason for. To say there are better uses of time is an understatement, IMO.

Watching the two man bobsled...always fun to watch.

GO GERMANY!!

Update: HOLY CRAP A TIE FOR GOLD....WELL DONE CANADA AND GERMANY!!

Last edited:
I don’t care enough about the Olympics to get riled up about this, but it is fucked that these folks are here in place of someone else and are choosing not to do an event because they don’t want to.

American Olympic skiers are slammed for shunning event | Daily Mail Online
Here's my take:

Shiffrin is the future of the U.S. skiing and the sport. The weather delays have screwed with planning significantly. She backed out of DH as a result so that she can focus on Combined. She is a awesome - both in skill and the way she carries herself. She's a great ambassador. Anyone criticizing her right now has no idea what they're talking about.

Ligety is the greatest GS skier ever from our country and revolutionized the sport... but he's done. He said this was his last Olympics but it may very well have been his last ski race. He has a new son. He's just coming back off 2 years of injury. He's older. His heart just isn't in it the way it once was. I think he's done.

Vonn is a diva (not a compliment). While I respect her skiing results, I can't stand her; nor do most that are close to the sport that know/met her. My viewpoint long predates any of her pre-Olympic comments she made. Mine views are shaped by her self-absorbed personality (inflated self worth) which has grown increasingly nauseating over the past several years. She has some misplaced view that she is drop-dead gorgeous and some kind of irresistible sexpot. Nope. Not even a little. She's lost any appeal she once had but is so disconnected from reality that she can't recognize this. She is flat annoying; nails on a chalkboard. Her comment about not racing because she couldn't medal is not surprising and helps illustrate why I can't stand her. I'm sure there is a perfect word/description/term for her but it escapes me.

Team slalom event is a new event. Many are trying to figure it out. They're also in mid-season of the World Cup. So, with all the schedule changes, etc. I don't have a huge issue with it from that perspective. However, if the only reason you don't participate is because you might not medal, well, that's a pretty shitty viewpoint.

Here's my take:

Shiffrin is the future of the U.S. skiing and the sport. The weather delays have screwed with planning significantly. She backed out of DH as a result so that she can focus on Combined. She is a awesome - both in skill and the way she carries herself. She's a great ambassador. Anyone criticizing her right now has no idea what they're talking about.

Ligety is the greatest GS skier ever from our country and revolutionized the sport... but he's done. He said this was his last Olympics but it may very well have been his last ski race. He has a new son. He's just coming back off 2 years of injury. He's older. His heart just isn't in it the way it once was. I think he's done.

Vonn is a diva (not a compliment). While I respect her skiing results, I can't stand her; nor do most that are close to the sport that know/met her. My viewpoint long predates any of her pre-Olympic comments she made. Mine views are shaped by her self-absorbed personality (inflated self worth) which has grown increasingly nauseating over the past several years. She has some misplaced view that she is drop-dead gorgeous and some kind of irresistible sexpot. Nope. Not even a little. She's lost any appeal she once had but is so disconnected from reality that she can't recognize this. She is flat annoying; nails on a chalkboard. Her comment about not racing because she couldn't medal is not surprising and helps illustrate why I can't stand her. I'm sure there is a perfect word/description/term for her but it escapes me.

Team slalom event is a new event. Many are trying to figure it out. They're also in mid-season of the World Cup. So, with all the schedule changes, etc. I don't have a huge issue with it from that perspective. However, if the only reason you don't participate is because you might not medal, well, that's a pretty shitty viewpoint.

You take back those mean words about Uncle Ted. He's done whenever he says he's done!

But seriously, what you all said is soo true. Vonn is one of the best skiers of all time. Male or female but she's clearly fuming that she is no longer the face of the U.S. Women's Ski Team. With Ted more than likely done in a year or two, she will be the face of the entire team soon. If you look at FIS as a whole, most of the stars are in their early to mid 30's; dare I say that in two years time, barring any major injuries, Shiffrin will be the face of FIS.

Back