2018 Winter Olympics Thread

You take back those mean words about Uncle Ted. He's done whenever he says he's done!
:D:thumbsup:

I love Ted....but... you can just see it in his skiing and his responses to his performance. Two years on the sidelines is an eternity. I would love to see him come back... but... I don't think it's going to happen. His head isn't in it nor is his heart. It's Hirscher's world now.

Last edited:
But seriously, what you all said is soo true. Vonn is one of the best skiers of all time. Male or female but she's clearly fuming that she is no longer the face of the U.S. Women's Ski Team. With Ted more than likely done in a year or two, she will be the face of the entire team soon. If you look at FIS as a whole, most of the stars are in their early to mid 30's; dare I say that in two years time, barring any major injuries, Shiffrin will be the face of FIS.
Yep. Vonn is one of the best and when all is said and done may even be THE best of all time. But her star is fading fast. She's is the twilight of her career. At some level I think she knows it and at some level it's a distraction for her. Shiffrin is the future and Vonn is struggling hard to come to grips with that fact, especially with Mikaela's huge entry into speed events at the beginning of this season. Shiffrin came into Vonn's house, sts, and owned her. The two are very different from each other in many ways and, at only 22, if Mikaela stays healthy and continues her pace, she will crush Vonn's records.

Vonn opted to skip the previous couple World Cup races leading into the Olympics stating the Olympics were her entire focus. With that approach, is anything less than gold a complete failure on her part? It's interesting because she seems to have no problem creating her own distractions with clothing launches, relationships, etc. Today, it was whining about the fact that her parents travelled 6,000 miles and couldn't watch her DH training run. "It's all about me, it's all about me". Man, I don't like that chick.

Last edited:
She’s a champ!
Steve Bradbury deserves a mention from Wikipedia:
Steven Bradbury - Wikipedia
I’m not suggesting he’s anything but lucky.

In the final, Bradbury was again well off the pace when all four of his competitors (Ohno, Ahn Hyun-Soo, Li and Turcotte) crashed out at the final corner while jostling for the gold medal. This allowed the Australian, who was around 15 m behind with only 50 m to go, to avoid the pile-up and take the victory.[15][16][18] Bradbury raised his arms aloft in complete disbelief and amazement at the unlikely circumstances of his victory. A shocked Bradbury became the first person from any southern hemisphere country to win a Winter Olympic event.[19] After a period of delay, the judges upheld the result and did not order a re-race, confirming Bradbury's victory.[20]

In an interview after winning his gold, referring to his two career- and life-threatening accidents,[21] Bradbury said "Obviously I wasn't the fastest skater. I don't think I'll take the medal as the minute-and-a-half of the race I actually won. I'll take it as the last decade of the hard slog I put in."

Back