Adult Beverage Mega Thread: Scotch/Whiskey/Rum/Vodka/Etc

@Gunpowder they were all out of Laphroaig 10 so went with Ardbeg An Oa. First scotch and one of only a few I have ever tried was Ardbeg 10 and at first I hated it but its quietly become one of my favorites.

@BloodStripe that was the first bourbon that actually 'got me'. I still go back to it from time to time.

@Hillclimb I'll have to see if I can get some from Total Wine and nothing wrong with Jameson, could replace it with water and call it good.

@Gunpowder they were all out of Laphroaig 10 so went with Ardbeg An Oa. First scotch and one of only a few I have ever tried was Ardbeg 10 and at first I hated it but its quietly become one of my favorites.

@BloodStripe that was the first bourbon that actually 'got me'. I still go back to it from time to time.

@Hillclimb I'll have to see if I can get some from Total Wine and nothing wrong with Jameson, could replace it with water and call it good.
That ought to tell you something...Arbeg is an Isle of Islay scotch as well as Lagavolin and a few others. Enjoy

And got a bottle of Blanton's and Weller Special Reserve today at Total Wine! Honestly, 9 months of hunting Blanton's at Total Wine and I finally got there before they were all gone on a delivery day. Had a handle of WSR from my last Texas Trip so I just got a 750 to open. Arizona is like the Weller Wasteland, nada normally.

I picked up a bottle of Tennessee bourbon yesterday at Costco. It is their own brand (Kirkland) but I decided to try it because their vodka is amazing. It's good but not for a $30 price tag on a litre when Bulleit's 1.75L was sitting there for $32.
View attachment 33448
So, is that your Bourbon drinking helmet? Pretty bad-ass👍

I picked up a bottle of Tennessee bourbon yesterday at Costco. It is their own brand (Kirkland) but I decided to try it because their vodka is amazing. It's good but not for a $30 price tag on a litre when Bulleit's 1.75L was sitting there for $32.
View attachment 33448
I have a handle of the Bulleitt in the bottom shelf of my pantry. Costco's Tennessee Bourbon is probably sourced from George Dickel and if you find the Kentucky Bourbon it is sourced from Barton (1792 and Old Barton brands owned by Buffalo Trace).

Just popped the bung into the barrel and Operation Old Fashion is underway!

I’ll taste in a week, but plan on letting this recipe age for 30 full days before bottling and capping.

View attachment 32997
Just sampled my first batch of Old Fashioned after aging for 30 days.

Taste is delicious, very glad I did it. Going to let the barrel soak for a few days and then begin a new batch. May try Knob Creek Maple this time around.

A few stats:
Used a 2L barrel.
Holds 68 oz of total liquid.

Net product was 40oz of liquid.
28oz evaporation/leakage (Angels Share).

Average known evaporation = 3%-10%
My evaporation = 41%

Learnings:
Find a cooler and less humid area to store barrel. Thinking Sump Pump Room.

Be more consistent in rotating barrel. It took me about a week to figure out that I should be flipping the barrel every day to prevent the top from drying out.

Will be interesting to see if I notice a significant reduction in evaporation by making these adjustments.

I ordered 2 new barrels so that I can get them going and then bottle store the end results.

Will check back with results after the next batch!

I have a handle of the Bulleitt in the bottom shelf of my pantry. Costco's Tennessee Bourbon is probably sourced from George Dickel and if you find the Kentucky Bourbon it is sourced from Barton (1792 and Old Barton brands owned by Buffalo Trace).
Based on tasting it when opened and then a few days later, yes, George Dickel. And no, @BloodStripe, I will not be serving it to guests without Coke atop it.

Back