Adult Beverage Mega Thread: Scotch/Whiskey/Rum/Vodka/Etc

I wish it weren't so hard to find EHT SmB or SiB. Virginia just recently decided all EHT products will be by lottery system. In some states you cab m find it sitting on shelves all over, but here, good fucking luck. I haven't won any lottery items in 3 years.
This was a store pick, somehow two store picks hit the valley this week. We get very few EHTs other than SmB. Every Buffalo Trace product, to include regular Buffalo Trace is allocated. That didn't stop me from getting Sazerac Rye, EHT SmB, Stagg Jr, etc. But I've basically had to mark it down to what time of the month Buffalo Trace Allocations arrived.

View attachment 33932If you don’t like the peaty monsters like Ardbeg or Laphraic, try this wee chappie. Very smooth.
I’ve actually had a chance to tour their distillery. The grounds are quite lovely. Their product is nothing less than fabulous. This is my #1 favorite scotch. The original is delicious, but I’m much more partial to the portwood cask aged one.

Pity that it’s so hard to find in my corner of the globe. There’s a market around the corner from my aunt’s house that sells it, so there’s always a bottle waiting for me in Marietta when I go visit.

I’ve actually had a chance to tour their distillery. The grounds are quite lovely. Their product is nothing less than fabulous. This is my #1 favorite scotch. The original is delicious, but I’m much more partial to the portwood cask aged one.

Pity that it’s so hard to find in my corner of the globe. There’s a market around the corner from my aunt’s house that sells it, so there’s always a bottle waiting for me in Marietta when I go visit.
We’ve a really good whisky supplier nearby, stocks everything by region. BTW is their setup as small as they say it is?

Someone gave my friend a bottle of Blanton's single barrel, he generously gave me three fingers of it last night. Holy hell but that's good stuff....

Cue the "gave me three fingers of it last night" jokes in 3...2...1....

I'd searched far and wide for Balmorhea 2019 so that I'd have the vertical Garrison Brothers flight ready for when B's parents came back to town. They were supposed to come in early March, and then for Easter and of course COVID-19 completely fucked that up. Plan was to sit on our porch, enjoy some great Texas Bourbon and then do ask the question. Well, that's been pushed off and Balmorhea 2020 has landed. Figured there's no time like the present.

99297827_10159939526584498_2184991996827926528_o.jpg

Nose- Worn leather, like a saddle. Molasses, burnt chocolate, fresh cut oak, the smells come together. (can I get this in a candle)

Palate- Dark chocolate, Fudge, burnt molasses, charred oak. warm honey.

Finish- The "Texas Hug". This grass note that Ranger Creek seems to have, but nice. Spices.

Nose- Nose comes at you a bit more. Some burnt chocolate, the oak is there again. Molasses. Harder to parse out different notes.

Palate- Sweeter up front, but also spicier as it rests mid-palate. Definitely your oak spices. Dark chocolate again.

Finish- That Texas Hug, spices, but again also sweeter than the 2019.

Really hard to pick, both lovely.

Someone gave my friend a bottle of Blanton's single barrel, he generously gave me three fingers of it last night. Holy hell but that's good stuff....

Cue the "gave me three fingers of it last night" jokes in 3...2...1....
I can’t even find Blanton’s. Let alone get a tasting.
I grabbed this today just to support the dude’s company.E12B88D4-201A-4431-87C4-B9B8ACC7B81C.jpeg22C891F1-12EA-4391-990D-B28556D7B753.jpeg
Don’t know why these are not oriented correctly? Sorry about that folks.
This bourbon is $36.00.

I can’t even find Blanton’s. Let alone get a tasting.
I grabbed this today just to support the dude’s company.View attachment 34093View attachment 34094
Don’t know why these are not oriented correctly? Sorry about that folks.
This bourbon is $36.00.

My buddy said he was given a bottle, we both discussed how if we ever purchased a bottle we would have to also purchase a divorce attorney at the same time because it's so expensive.

I really enjoyed that Rowan's Creek. That was very good.

I managed to find a bottle of Buffalo Trace, 1 liter, for about $38 USD (after the conversion) which is pretty cheap around here (I expected about $45). I also picked up Jameson's because Tully's was either through the roof or unavailable and I haven't seen Bushmill's in months. Lastly, I tried some good old 101 Wild Turkey. I prefer the Bird over the Buffalo, but they are both tasty.
---
One perk to being overseas is the wine selection that you won't find in the US. I have a Chilean cabernet and Argentinian bonarda on deck. If you like a red wine and haven't had a bonarda, you're missing out.

Back