Am I too young for Recon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 18, mentally I was 30. Maturity counts for a lot...

Ok, I stayed out of this until now... to answer your question.... if you even asked the question, then yes, you are probably too young to go directly into Recon or any other SOF job.

Not SOF, but did 23 years in combat arms. This answer sums it up. No matter what you do, if you have to ask yourself this question you are probably not ready. You have to feel it.

Don’t over think it. Sign up, stand on the yellow footprints, and take the leap. Trust me you’ll grow up fast when you’re doing 8 counts at 0430...or you’ll quit and end up in an infantry battalion anyway. The best way to ensure you don’t make it through BRC is not to try.

Thank you for the answer.

Now just to be clear, is that response given because of how I come off in this thread? Or do you believe 18 years old is just to young to be doing high speed stuff?

So, this ^^^^ from post #19 is still out there for @ x SF med.

So, this ^^^^ from post #19 is still out there for @ x SF med.
Thanks for commenting, sir.
I misread his answer, so that response I gave should be disregarded.

And I try to keep my typos to a minimum, I must’ve let that one slip my vision.

Thanks for commenting, sir.
I misread his answer, so that response I gave should be disregarded.

And I try to keep my typos to a minimum, I must’ve let that one slip my vision.

What you post is there for all to read. There is a "Preview" feature that allows you to look at your post before it goes on forum.

I'm having more than a little trouble with the entire, well defined, thought out two sentence question as being a "typo". It is up to @ x SF med to decide if he wants to reply or let it go.

What you post is there for all to read. There is a "Preview" feature that allows you to look at your post before it goes on forum.

I'm having more than a little trouble with the entire, well defined, thought out two sentence question as being a "typo". It is up to @ x SF med to decide if he wants to reply or let it go.
Understood, sir.
The typo I pointed out was my improper use of the word ‘to’ (I meant too). I meant to post my reply to SF med, I later realized I misinterpreted him.

I hope this reply doesn’t come off as being a smart ass, I’m just attempting to clear up the confusion I created.

Understood, sir.
The typo I pointed out was my improper use of the word ‘to’ (I meant too). I meant to post my reply to SF med, I later realized I misinterpreted him.

I hope this reply doesn’t come off as being a smart ass, I’m just attempting to clear up the confusion I created.

Your replies are respectful and your questions are not out of line. @Teufel is your best source of information about Recon...but Marine Corps Infantry is tough and combat ready and any O3 MOS has to be earned and it's something to be proud of. Hue City, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Falluja, Belleau Wood, were battles won by Marine infantry riflemen and machine gunners etc.

Last edited:
Your replies are respectful and your questions are not out of line. @Teufel is your best source of information about Recon...but Marine Corps Infantry is tough and combat ready and any O3 MOS has to be earned and it's something to be proud of. Hue City, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Falluja, Belleau Wood, were battles won by Marine infantry riflemen and machine gunners etc.
I admit, I lost sight of the fact that 03’s are essentially the front line guys, which is very honorable and hardcore, let alone a tough job. Everyone who participated in this thread enlightened me on that. So while I regretted this post initially, I did learn from it. Thanks for giving your response, sir.

There is no finer job in the world than being a Marine Corps Grunt.

But, do remember this one thing and take it to heart...there is a reason we say that you must "Fully Embrace The Suck." If you can't, you will be a most miserable human for the time being.

Marine Grunts have a legacy that is second to none! And, we are extremely proud of that fact!

Now, drive on....

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer.

Now just to be clear, is that response given because of how I come off in this thread? Or do you believe 18 years old is just to young to be doing high speed stuff?

@Red Flag 1 and @SwimRunLift ... My statement was the totality of what I was trying to say. One who poses that particular question has some mental maturing and toughening to achieve; because an individual must have faith in self, faith in equipment, faith in training and faith in team to succeed in SOF; and that question voices self doubt - it'll always be there, but you don't voice it and ask others if you have it to succeed in your chosen path.

SRL - get used to open ended or seemingly ambiguous answers from NCOs, it's a form of training to get you prepared for the next step up the rank ladder. Mind and body both need exercise.

This thread has gone on a lot longer than I expected it to. It would be in your best interest to avoid attracting this much attention at boot camp and BRC. I suspect that may challenging for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back