Am I too young for Recon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwimRunLift

Unverified
Do small, young guys right out of high school ever pass BRC?
I will be 18 when I hit MART, since I am attending boot camp just a few weeks after I graduate high school.
I am 5'5", weighing 143lbs. (I have a very respectable build for my height, and my doctor told me I won't be growing taller)

Basically, I get mistaken for a 14-15 year old very often and definitely don't look like Recon material.

Do guys like me stand a chance? I am training harder than I ever have in my life, and I am definitely a PT stud, but I can't imagine seeing someone so small and young as me being a Recon marine.

I meant to also write: "Would it be more realistic to enlist as an 0311 and serve my 4 years as a rifleman to gain some experience? Even though the 0311 life doesn't appeal to me as much."

I meant to also write: "Would it be more realistic to enlist as an 0311 and serve my 4 years as a rifleman to gain some experience? Even though the 0311 life doesn't appeal to me as much."

What do you think Recon is young man? If the 0311 life doesn’t appeal to you do you truly think life as a Recon Marine will?

Others will be along shortly, but that is some pretty poor understanding of what life is like in the suck...

What do you think Recon is young man? If the 0311 life doesn’t appeal to you do you truly think life as a Recon Marine will?

Others will be along shortly, but that is some pretty poor understanding of what life is like in the suck...

I should have clarified that more, but I really do not want to offend any riflemen because I do have so much respect for them.
I want to be the best possible person in life as I can be, and from what I read about 0311 life, it seems they don't get near as much training as an 0321, which seems to me that many of them don't seem to live up to their full potential.. I hope that came out correctly, but Recon appeals to me alot more because I want to be pushed to my absolute limits, which I believe will set me up for the rest of my life to succeed.
Again, I have so much respect for 0311, so I hope this doesn't seem like I am bashing them.

I should have clarified that more, but I really do not want to offend any riflemen because I do have so much respect for them.
I want to be the best possible person in life as I can be, and from what I read about 0311 life, it seems they don't get near as much training as an 0321, which seems to me that many of them don't seem to live up to their full potential.. I hope that came out correctly, but Recon appeals to me alot more because I want to be pushed to my absolute limits, which I believe will set me up for the rest of my life to succeed.
Again, I have so much respect for 0311, so I hope this doesn't seem like I am bashing them.

Listen man, you're 18, and you sound like a clueless 18 year old. 0311s don't live up to their potential by not going Recon? You have zero idea how asinine and ridiculous that statement is. You should stop posting, and just lurk and read. 0311s are hard motherfuckers, and they do things that you can't even begin to imagine right now. Do yourself a favor and don't respond anymore. Don't try and explain. Just read, learn, and remember.

Listen man, you're 18, and you sound like a clueless 18 year old. 0311s don't live up to their potential by not going Recon? You have zero idea how asinine and ridiculous that statement is. You should stop posting, and just lurk and read. 0311s are hard motherfuckers, and they do things that you can't even begin to imagine right now. Do yourself a favor and don't respond anymore. Don't try and explain. Just read, learn, and remember.
Understood, sir.

I challenge you to research and answer these questions, whether or here or just to yourself.

What is role of the infantryman? What training do they get?

What is the role of a Recon Marine? What assets do an 0321 bring to the battalion or MAGTF?

What training do you think a Recon Marine gets that an 0311 does not? What is the purpose of the different training they go through?

What's the daily or weekly routine of a line company Marine? What's the daily or weekly routine of a Recon Marine?

What does it take to pass BRT? I'll give you a hint, Teufel says it on here at least once a month.

All of these answers are readily available, either on this site or through other websites. Recon, or any SOF unit for that matter, are not better than any line company infantryman. They are called special operating forces for a reason, the skills and tools they bring are special, or different to that of a tradiontial grunt or supporting element (enabler). Each unit has a specific niche or role they bring to the table to ensure the mission gets completed.

I challenge you to research and answer these questions, whether or here or just to yourself.

What is role of the infantryman? What training do they get?

What is the role of a Recon Marine? What assets do an 0321 bring to the battalion or MAGTF?

What training do you think a Recon Marine gets that an 0311 does not? What is the purpose of the different training they go through?

What's the daily or weekly routine of a line company Marine? What's the daily or weekly routine of a Recon Marine?

What does it take to pass BRT? I'll give you a hint, Teufel says it on here at least once a month.

All of these answers are readily available, either on this site or through other websites. Recon, or any SOF unit for that matter, are not better than any line company infantryman. They are called special operating forces for a reason, the skills and tools they bring are special, or different to that of a tradiontial grunt or supporting element (enabler). Each unit has a specific niche or role they bring to the table to ensure the mission gets completed.
Many good questions, many I need to look into further. I appreciate the reply and will continue my research.

My dive buddy at MCD was 18. I was 32. He did great at BRC, dive school and the fleet. He eventually became one of my team leaders at 1st Force
Wow, what huge feats of accomplishments at such a young age. That really puts things into perspective for me, thanks for sharing.

Ha! Easy to do when you’re young. It’s a lot harder in your 30s.
I can see that being the case. I guess I've always had the notion that 23-25 was the prime age to go through these pipelines.

I heard dive school is arguably the hardest school in the Marine Corps but I assume being young and spry would be a huge advantage.

I can see that being the case. I guess I've always had the notion that 23-25 was the prime age to go through these pipelines.

I heard dive school is arguably the hardest school in the Marine Corps but I assume being young and spry would be a huge advantage.
I can tell you that it doesn’t get easier as you get closer to 40

You need to slow down and really research the world you’re trying to get into. Concentrate on the steps infront of you instead of looking so far out.

Setting goals is good however but boot camp isnt easy, infantry school isnt easy, and becoming a Recon Marine is what alot of people dream of doing yet go into unprepared and fail because of it.

Explore the threads around this site and take your time to learn and you wont come across as you are.

Best of luck though

Ok, I stayed out of this until now... to answer your question.... if you even asked the question, then yes, you are probably too young to go directly into Recon or any other SOF job.
Thank you for the answer.

Now just to be clear, is that response given because of how I come off in this thread? Or do you believe 18 years old is just to young to be doing high speed stuff?

Ok, I stayed out of this until now... to answer your question.... if you even asked the question, then yes, you are probably too young to go directly into Recon or any other SOF job.

Whoops, I just realized I misread it. That is fair, though. I realized days ago that this post was childish, but I can’t remove it so I’ll deal with the repercussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back