Back to the Shadows NSW??

I can't think of many direct-action ground SOF units that haven't had some kind of scandal over the years. There was the SF guy who got busted bringing a shitload of cocaine into the US a few years back, and who can forget the time many years ago when a handful of Rangers robbed a freakin' bank.

But damn if it doesn't seem like the SEALs have disproportionately more catastrophic public fuckups than any other SOF unit.
I mean a couple tabs and private’s just getting state side CQB and SSE training isn’t nearly as bad as a rape... And yes I am just sticking up for my <$> Batt.

I mean a couple tabs and private’s just getting state side CQB and SSE training isn’t nearly as bad as a rape... And yes I am just sticking up for my <$> Batt.

They need a LOT of retraining. Did you read the write up of that case? Clown shoes start to finish, complete with “I did it as a political statement because my bn was murdering people downrange.”

Not really isolated incidents.

Dishonorable discharge stands for lance corporal sentenced for bludgeoning, nearly killing another Marine at the barracks smoke pit

Marine lance corporal getting booted for ‘advocating supremacist ideology’

Okinawa-based Marine sentenced to six years for sexual assault, harassment

Former Marine accused of sex trafficking dishonorably discharged

Investigation reveals creepy details behind Marine colonel’s firing

I'm sure I could easily find plenty more if I put in any type of effort. Now yes, before anyone says it, I recognize that the Corps is a lot larger in size than NSW, but I'm willing to bet that every unit has about equal number of incidents, it's only that NSW right now has had 3 very public incidents in the past 12 months and Hollywood has a hard-on for SEALs (some of which is the SEALs own fault).

They need a LOT of retraining. Did you read the write up of that case? Clown shoes start to finish, complete with “I did it as a political statement because my bn was murdering people downrange.”
Lol holy shit didn’t know that. I meant to pick up “Ranger Games” and get more info on it. I meant that post as a tongue in cheek joke sir.

With that said- I still think raping women and murdering fellow Americans is far worse than isolated incidents of bad behavior. Granted 7th Group has a lot of shit that’s gone on the last two years. They seem to be dealing with it though.

Not really isolated incidents.

Dishonorable discharge stands for lance corporal sentenced for bludgeoning, nearly killing another Marine at the barracks smoke pit

Marine lance corporal getting booted for ‘advocating supremacist ideology’

Okinawa-based Marine sentenced to six years for sexual assault, harassment

Former Marine accused of sex trafficking dishonorably discharged

I'm sure I could easily find plenty more if I put in any type of effort. Now yes, before anyone says it, I recognize that the Corps is a lot larger in size than NSW, but I'm willing to bet that every unit has about equal number of incidents, it's only that NSW right now has had 3 very public incidents in the past 12 months and Hollywood has a hard-on for SEALs (some of which is the SEALs own fault).

The Corps is not only a much larger sample pool but the levels of training/maturity/professionalism between the average Marine and NSW team guys can't compare.

There are too many variables. Combat vets with multiple deployments or guys who've spent their enlistment in garrison. There's going to be different issues, different environments that effect behavior.

Post-war you've got all these salts with deployments under their belts back in garrison, and all these rookie trigger-pullers who joined up too late to get into the fight...and they're all sitting around with bottled-up energy itching for action.

That energy has to be channeled somewhere...If it's channeled in the wrong direction, i.e. drugs, alcohol, partying, discipline and morale erodes.

Last edited:
I'm tracking NSW and USMC are different. I just think you have bad apples everywhere. Sometimes, unfortunately, people still manage to slip through the cracks even after you think your pipeline will catch the bad characters. And worse, you have people who normally wouldn't do it but see others getting away with it so they lower their moral compass.

I understand where you're coming from on the fake allegations, it happens far too often. But one of the best defenses against allegations of wrongdoing, is... to not do anything wrong. That won't shield you from people who just make stuff up (see also Brett Kavanaugh) but it will keep you from getting hemmed up over stuff you DID do..

The sexual assault allegation involves a "senior NCO" on the team. You can't simply ignore something like that. Then when the investigation started, the drinking thing (and probably a whole lot of other stuff we'll hear about later) came to light. Then, apparently, EVERY MEMBER OF THE TEAM decided to take the 5th rather than cooperate with the investigation. That's sketchy as hell, and indicates some major problems going on in that unit.

What would you do, as the commander, in that situation? I would have brought them all home too, before someone gets, you know, murdered.
If the investigators asked everyone about personal alcohol use then the 5th is the way to go.
If they came in and said they didn't care about booze and GO1, but were just looking at the assault issue then taking the 5th is a dick move.

"The message is clear. There will be no due process. The "victim" is always to be believed. The accused is forever fucked, while the accuser is forever protected from anything that might be contorted to be argued as retaliation."

This is so true, flash back to Iraq 2007....we (CID) investigated a sexual assault, investigation cleared the suspect and we had proof of the victim lying about the offense, we opened a case on the victim in the system late one night....CID BN called us first thing in the morning and advised the case would not be opened and to drop it. Half our detachment were reservist and full time LEO's in the civilian world...we went off on our AD SAC and caused a pretty big stink...CID BN Commander flew down to us and had a talk....command was a little concerned.

Basically the unwritten rule was, there will be no criminal action on any victim that falsely claims being sexually assaulted (OCONUS), just quietly send them home.
IIRC it's a written rule.

Ignore bad behavior by the accuser because some women said their violations of the rules prevented them from reporting assaults (AF Academy scandal).

Last edited:
Back