Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think would happen if an IED took out a semi truck on I-95 tomorrow?
Same thing that happens every long weekend. Nightmarish traffic jams, people pissing themselves in their cars on a highway that suddenly became a parking lot, a few weeks of hand-wringing from politicians, and then nothing. Mostly because I think the Americans who would be freaking out already have, and most Americans are looking too forward to getting whatever useless crap at the mall to be bothered to get worked up into a lather. Same with media outlets; terrorism is SO 2005. If no one is going to get worked up about a VBIED a few miles from Ground Zero, no one will get too excited about a VBIED on I-95. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. Remember a couple years ago when that Chinese dude walked into the arrivals terminal to hug his wife as she was on her way out? They then got in their car and went home, no big deal. But he had gone passed the security line and security reacted by shutting down the entire airport. That one little incident shut down like five or six airports for the entire day.

I think that VBIED in Times Square was one of those fools that the FBI grooms for years on end until they can convince them to conduct a terror attack. The FBI seems very good at creating patsies, then busting the terrorists they create, and then taking credit for the bust in the media. This is something of a different cycle because the federal government in this case controls the terrorist, the bomb, the detonator, and ultimately how this information is presented to the media. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the Times Square bomber meets this definition or not, but it is something to think about.

Y...

I think that VBIED in Times Square was one of those fools that the FBI grooms for years on end until they can convince them to conduct a terror attack. The FBI seems very good at creating patsies, then busting the terrorists they create, and then taking credit for the bust in the media. This is something of a different cycle because the federal government in this case controls the terrorist, the bomb, the detonator, and ultimately how this information is presented to the media. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the Times Square bomber meets this definition or not, but it is something to think about.

Nope, this was a legitimate attempted terrorist attack, which was thwarted only by the ineptitude of the perpetrator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Times_Square_car_bombing_attempt

The attempted car bombing of Times Square on May 1, 2010, was a planned terrorist attack that was foiled when two street vendors discovered the car bomb and alerted a New York Police Department (NYPD) patrolman to thecar bomb threat after they spotted smoke coming from a vehicle.[1][2] The bomb had been ignited, but failed to explode, and was disarmed before it caused any casualties.[1][3][4]

How worked up our nation becomes is in direct proportion to how much coverage the media bestows on an event.

On the other hand, don;t you guys/galls think that all of this just works really well in promoting the book it self? I mean, what could be a better PR move, than to say "this book was banned by the Pentagon, now you too can learn some secret stuff and feel like a big man!". Instant win in my eyes.

Same thingwas with Urbans' "Task Force Black", the MoD talked about not giving him a 'thumbs up' to publish the book (which btw, revealed infos an untrained person like me thought should not be written down in the first place).

Not all attention is good attention. PR or not, there are those like Centermass and Marauder06 who won't buy the book now based on the fact that the guy is a sellout. I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few others out there of the same mindset and won't sacrifice their morals/beliefs for a book that's received the kind of attention this one has.

Not all attention is good attention. PR or not, there are those like Centermass and Marauder06 who won't buy the book now based on the fact that the guy is a sellout. I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few others out there of the same mindset and won't sacrifice their morals/beliefs for a book that's received the kind of attention this one has.
That's why I didn't purchase Wasdin's book. I'll probably spend six months reading this book 30 minutes at a time in a Barnes and Nobles.

I don't get it. I thought SOCOM cleared it.

If SOCOM had cleared it, I would have had no issue with him publishing it. In fact, I would support it by buying a copy. But AFAIK no one cleared it. I don't even think he TRIED to have it cleared, most likely because he knew what he was doing was wrong but kept seeing those $$$ and his name in lights...

On the other hand, don;t you guys/galls think that all of this just works really well in promoting the book it self? I mean, what could be a better PR move, than to say "this book was banned by the Pentagon, now you too can learn some secret stuff and feel like a big man!". Instant win in my eyes.

Same thingwas with Urbans' "Task Force Black", the MoD talked about not giving him a 'thumbs up' to publish the book (which btw, revealed infos an untrained person like me thought should not be written down in the first place).

Yes, it works very well for the author and the publishing company, which is what I think you mean. But until and unless the US gets serious about punishing the transgressors, it's only going to continue to get worse. The Pentagon is making a lot of noise about "punishing" the author of this latest book, but I would wager that nothing serious is ever going to happen to the guy. What I think SHOULD happen:

1) Recall him to active duty and court-martial him. If he is convicted, reduction to E1, forfeiture of pay and allowances, massive jail time at Leavenworth or somewhere equally unpleasant.
2) A lawsuit specifically targeting both him and the publishing company, suing for all profits as well as the government's lawyer fees. The proceeds of this action to be plowed back into OPSEC and intel security measures.
3) Some type of legal action that enjoins anyone else (e.g. movie producers) from making any other works based on the book.
4) An unambiguous and credible threat from the DoD, DoJ, and the federal gov't that if you break your oath and violate national security, you're going to get the same thing.

No one cleared it. The publisher announced the book and afterwords the book's PR team had a come-to-jesus phone call with McRaven's PAO...who is also not capable of clearing this book.

What is the difference between books like No Way Out and Kill Bin Laden from books like Blaber's Mission, Men, and Me?

I don't understand why there was never any comoplaints against Mr. Blaber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back