Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between books like No Way Out and Kill Bin Laden from books like Blaber's Mission, Men, and Me?

I don't understand why there was never any comoplaints against Mr. Blaber?

There is no difference, they are all sellouts, they have all been PNG'd from the community, they should all be prosecuted, and I will never buy anything they write. Search for their names here on the site, I'm pretty sure we had a similar reaction to those authors as we are now having to this one.

I too was under the impression, that after being called out for not having it cleared, Advance copies of the book were given for review. and it was cleared. Which I could remeber which article was stating it.... could be wrong info. But I know I read it somewhere. I will look for said article....

I too was under the impression, that after being called out for not having it cleared, Advance copies of the book were given for review. and it was cleared. Which I could remeber which article was stating it.... could be wrong info. But I know I read it somewhere. I will look for said article....

Sometimes, what authors will do is submit it for "clearance" to an organization that they know is not the appropriate release authority. For example, an Army officer who had served with the Task Force ran whatever POS book he wrote on his experiences through the SSO at his Reserve unit, knowing full well that the person in that job was not affiliated with the Task Force in any way, was never read on, and wouldn't know what was sensitive or what wasn't (IIRC).

Another dodge is to "submit" the book for approval, and then when it gets denied, to publish anyway. That way they can say, "Well, we submitted it for approval," which is technically true, but we told you not to publish and you did it anyway.

If "No Easy Day" was submitted to SOCOM (which is the proper release authority) and it was cleared, then that's a completely different story. But I'm willing to wager that's not what happened, and I haven't read or heard about anything that would indicate it had.

There is no difference, they are all sellouts, they have all been PNG'd from the community, they should all be prosecuted, and I will never buy anything they write. Search for their names here on the site, I'm pretty sure we had a similar reaction to those authors as we are now having to this one.

I understand. But it does seem like he has taken zero to little hits comparede to the rest.

All well and good that they want to prosecute this guy. He deserves it. However, you can't prosecute him and let all these loose-lipped politicians off the hook. Obama and his fucktarded staff have done plenty to deserve prosecution as far as leaks go. Not to mention that the Justice Dept. hardly has any credibility to go after anyone for anything as long as Holder is running it, IMHO.

Sometimes, what authors will do is submit it for "clearance" to an organization that they know is not the appropriate release authority. For example, an Army officer who had served with the Task Force ran whatever POS book he wrote on his experiences through the SSO at his Reserve unit, knowing full well that the person in that job was not affiliated with the Task Force in any way, was never read on, and wouldn't know what was sensitive or what wasn't (IIRC).

Another dodge is to "submit" the book for approval, and then when it gets denied, to publish anyway. That way they can say, "Well, we submitted it for approval," which is technically true, but we told you not to publish and you did it anyway.

If "No Easy Day" was submitted to SOCOM (which is the proper release authority) and it was cleared, then that's a completely different story. But I'm willing to wager that's not what happened, and I haven't read or heard about anything that would indicate it had.

Update to my previous post, found article. I had thought it was cleared, but after rereading I realize this only states it "summited"

US officials checking SEAL raid book for secrets
By KIMBERLY DOZIER AP Intelligence Writer The Associated Press
Monday, August 27, 2012 3:37 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. officials said Monday that they are reviewing a copy of a soon-to-be-published account of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, checking for leaks of classified information.

Pentagon spokesman George Little said Defense Department officials "received the manuscript and we are looking at it."

CIA spokesman Preston Golson would only say that "the CIA has a copy of the book."

The book, "No Easy Day," is scheduled for publication on Sept. 11.

The author, a former Navy SEAL who participated in the raid, did not submit the book for pre-publication review that is required by the military secrecy agreements officials say he signed.

Pentagon regulations stipulate that retired personnel, former employees and non-active duty members of the Reserves "shall use the DoD security review process to ensure that information they submit for public release does not compromise national security."

Pentagon officials say that if they determine the manuscript reveals classified information about the raid, the Pentagon would "defer to the Department of Justice."

If there is classified information in the book, the former SEAL could face criminal charges.

The publisher says the author intends to give the "majority" of the proceeds to charity, but the Justice Department could still sue to collect any future book proceeds as well.

A special operations advocacy group, Special Operations-OPSEC, which is criticizing President Barack Obama over alleged leaks and making the raid the national security centerpiece of his re-election campaign, asked the attorney general to block the book's release until the government can make sure it reveals no classified information.

In a letter released to The Associated Press, the group asked the Justice Department "to immediately seek...an injunction in federal court to prevent this book from being published and distributed" until it can be reviewed.

Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd says the department is reviewing the letter.

Dutton announced the book's pending release last week, saying that "No Easy Day" will "set the record straight" on the bin Laden operation. The author is listed under the pseudonym of Mark Owen, and the publisher had asked news organizations to withhold his identity. He has since been identified as Matt Bissonnette, who retired from the Navy last summer.

After the initial burst of publicity, the book shot up to the top of the Amazon.com chart, reaching No. 1 as of late Friday morning and remaining there Monday, displacing the million-selling erotic trilogy "Fifty Shades of Gray."

Blaber's book is disguised and/or butchered as a self help book about leadership which I think helped keep him out of trouble. I don't know if his book was reviewed by the military or not. There were complaints about Blaber but they were a little more private. "Mark Owen" wanted a splash and a splash he got.

The way this is working is that the publisher will not sign with the author unless a "special operations" attorney who now works for a private firm blesses off on the manuscript. I think I know who the attorney is but will withhold the name for now. With the attorney signing off on it, the publisher than feels that they have a certain level of legal protection. This is my lay persons understanding of what is going on behind the scenes anyway.

Sure. I think there was just less interest in what he wrote about.

I understand. On a side note what is with all my typos today...

As for little interest in Blaber's book. I thought there was plenty of OPSEC violations in there. The Balkan PFWIC ops, the "fake" tank division in Iraq, etc. I thought all those were very interesting and obscure tactics/strategies I have not personally seen or heard of before.

The fake tank division in Iraq was covered in other sources prior to Blaber's book. I think Cobra II devoted a chapter or two to JSOC's work out there including Haditha Dam.

When this story first came out there were folks on the right saying that it was timed to help the POTUS and folks on the left saying it was timed to hurt the POTUS. If POTUS/Holder prosecutes, they'll be damned as having leaked in their own right, or for not liking the author's tone. If they fail to prosecute, they'll be damned for permitting the hyping the UBL hit right before the election. Either way, the POTUS is screwed unless he just tries to rise above it, turn it over to McRaven (who himself has been accused of cow-towing to the POTUS because he's still in uniform) and let him and SOCOM deal with it.

P.S. I thought someone here linked a cite proving that if the POTUS does it, it is, prima facie, not a leak. Makes sense to me and seems to be in accord with Bush doctrine.

Well, here's the icing on the damn cake. This will be aired in its entirety September 9th.

60 Minutes Interview Preview

And on top of that, someone already has the book before it's been cleared or scrubbed. Heard this earlier today on the radio. This idiot Bergen ain't any better than the rest.

Peter Bergen Interview

This whole thing has gone beyond wrong in its disclosure, documentation, discovery and exposure and just went to the next level of stupid when it comes to the security of classified material and this nation as a result.

I liken it to an EMO complex of look at me look at me........fuckin amazing :rolleyes:

On the other hand, don;t you guys/galls think that all of this just works really well in promoting the book it self? I mean, what could be a better PR move, than to say "this book was banned by the Pentagon, now you too can learn some secret stuff and feel like a big man!". Instant win in my eyes.

Same thingwas with Urbans' "Task Force Black", the MoD talked about not giving him a 'thumbs up' to publish the book (which btw, revealed infos an untrained person like me thought should not be written down in the first place).

You're hardly an untrained, naive neophyte Ravage.

Interesting take by Dalton Fury

http://www.commandposts.com/2012/09/no-easy-day-from-one-who-has-been-there/

Next week I will visit hallowed ground. I will stand on the corner of West and Vesey Street, face the National September 11Memorial, and look skyward toward the flight paths of American Airlines flight 11 with 175, which struck the World Trade Towers eleven years earlier. I will do it because I have a choice, because I am one of millions of Americans that hasn’t forgotten, and because there is no place on earth I’d rather be than downtown Manhattan on the anniversary of 9/11.​
Since that first jumbo jet slammed into tower one at 8:46:30 AM that Tuesday morning our nation has struggled through two long wars that have tested the mettle of America’s finest young men and women—and which were arguably were focused on killing one man. This past week not only reminded me of these long wars, but it also offered some odd nostalgia and a large dose of déjà vu.

First, I learned the same time as the rest of the world that one of America’s secret members of SEAL Team Six, which executed Operation Neptune Spear, had authored a book titled No Easy Day, about the shadowed exploits of the team and how al Qaeda mastermind Usama Bin Laden really met his maker. I was a shocked by the news. Like most tier one operators, I thought I was still in tune with the happenings of the secret world I left behind, even in retirement.

Then I learned the book’s author elected to invoke a pseudonym. The author chose to conceal his true name for two reasons—reasons with which I am very familiar. One, to ensure America focuses on the story and his teammates, not on “Mark Owen,” the individual. Had Owen used his true name, the claims of glory hunting would be loud and wide spread. Second, he chose to author under a pseudonym to protect his family and former teammates from enemies of the state.

During his many years in Six, Owen kept secrets. He is now sharing some of what he experienced. His critics have called those experiences “secrets.”

But Owen isn’t the first Six guy to share his experiences. With a quick count, I know of five Six guys to beat the pseudonymous Owen to the punch. The tsunami of negative press and personal attacks on both the author Owen, and his co-writer Kevin Maurer, surprised me. Sure, I knew they would take it on the chin for a bit, but I didn’t anticipate the massive amount of character bashing, name-calling, and the irresponsible leak of Owen’s true name and home address. It hit close to home.

Four years ago I authored the book Kill Bin Laden, appeared on 60 Minutes, and took on a pseudonym to protect my family and stiff arm the cries of glory hunting. These same steps were taken by Owen, who isn’t looking for fame either. “The UBL raid was such a gigantic event that this story needed to be told for the history books,” Owen said.

In 2008, I told the true story of the early hunt for Bin Laden because I felt America needed to know. But after reading Owen’s book, I know his story is clearly more important. Whether Americans needed to know or not is truly debatable. Owen’s work closes the loop on one of the longest manhunts in history and is certainly something the majority of Americans want to know.

And if not all Americans, Owen knows a specific class of young men will appreciate it. “99% of the SEALs that I know joined because they also read a book,” he said. Owen isn’t the only SEAL that thinks books written by warriors for America’s future warriors are a good idea. In a recent open letter to current and former members of the special operations community, Admiral McRaven, a former SEAL Team Six commander and current commander of all special ops troops wrote that he personally benefited from reading about the “exploits of our legendary heroes” in books that share “wonderful accounts of courage, leadership, tough decision making, and martial skill.”

At the same time it reminded me of a culture literally set in stone that mandates a life time tag of persona non grata, or PNG, for any Tier One operator who writes about his unit.

The culture of a Tier One unit is not only unique, it is protected. But, after ten plus years at war, most Americans know there to be two Special Mission Units—the Army’s Delta Force and the Navy’s SEAL Team Six. Members of these organizations sign non-disclosure agreements, or NDA, before they can drop their kit bags in the team room. The signature is binding for life. The NDA is perfectly clear about disclosing information, and includes steps that must be followed to ensure the information is checked by competent authority prior to release. If signing the form letter isn’t enough deterrent from one day sharing experiences, the culture is designed to police anyone considering otherwise.

Basically, what happens down range stays down range. You don’t talk about it, you definitely don’t write about it. And anyone who blows off the rules, even if he does seek and receive security reviews from the proper authorities for 18 months as I did, is ostracized, demonized, and banned. That’s not Merriam-Webster’s exact definition of having been PNGed, but it about covers it.

Everyone serving in a Tier One unit has their every need seen to while they are operational. Nine out of ten, upon retirement or release from these two elite units, will only have the skills, knowledge, and know-how they learned while serving the ranks—skill sets that are limited to a select few, but very much earned by the same select few. Are these skill sets marketable? Of course they are. Whether they should be is irrelevant. The demand is there and the operators need to work when they leave the teams, too.

Almost every former unit operator includes the phrases “Delta Force” or “SEAL Team Six” in their resumes. The ones that don’t are so well known in their trade that it isn’t necessary, or they still have some support or business ties to the organization that they don’t want to jeopardize. Either way, captured on a web site or not, you are cashing in largely on what you learned and experienced while serving the Tier One ranks.

Some “black” SPECOPS warriors become independent contractors with the CIA and head back down range. Former teammate and Delta operator William “Chief” Carlson did in 2003 and was killed in a Taliban ambush. Former mate Dale “Slugger” Comstock, one of the operatives in the NBC reality show Stars Earn Stripes spent eight years serving his country as an independent contractor on the battlefield. Some take less dangerous routes. They may teach tactics, shooting, jumping, driving, lock picking, assault planning, or even open up their own business to solve real problems. Among a dozen other things related to the skills you learned and earned while in a Tier One unit, you can even consult for a video game company.

And, you can write a book.

From that moment on, it’s yours to lose. The standards are extremely high, as they should be. We all know that talking about the unit, particularly in a tell-all memoir, regardless of how vanilla the contents are, is tantamount to alumni suicide.

Let me be clear here. I’m referring only to members of Delta Force and SEAL Team Six—not Army Green Berets, not “white” Navy SEALs, not conventional military soldiers, airmen, or Marines. If you are even remotely interested in reading this post, you know the book stores are filled with memoirs authored by former military men and women. Yes, absolutely, they are true heroes, but I know of none that are PNGed from their communities.

Write about your time in a Tier One unit absolutely equals PNG for life. This will prove to be the most damning psychological stain on Owen. Been there, done that—when I wrote Kill Bin Laden, in which national security was not put at risk and no special operations unique tactics, techniques, procedures or personalities were compromised.

I read an advance copy of Owen’s book, No Easy Day. Folks, former SEAL Team Six warrior Mark Owen, who gave his country 12 years of faithful service, does not disappoint the American people.
The manuscript was combed over by a trusted agent, a former special operations attorney who has performed similar vetting reviews for other military authors. I’m absolutely convinced and entirely confident that Owen’s book does not reveal any secret tactics, sensitive techniques or delicate procedures that would put current servicemen and women in jeopardy.

Owen isn’t the first person involved with the May 2011 raid to go public with details that some might argue should be protected. President Obama’s administration confirmed the participation of Navy SEALs on national television within a few hours of the raid. Last week, Judicial Watch published communication between CIA and film makers Mark Boal and Kathryn Bigelow, indicating that “Boal and Bigelow would be ‘meeting individually with both [name redacted] and the translator who was on the raid…’” Admiral McRaven has sat down and discussed various aspects of the raid with journalists, too.

Just as Admiral McRaven is smart enough to know what to share and what to protect, Owen is equally careful in No Easy Day not to allow innocuous facts to be compiled to potentially compromise sensitive national security information. Instead, he captures the essence of what it is like to live your life as a protector of the freedoms all of us hold so dear. Owen said, “Look at Hollywood stars, pro athletes etc., nobody, and I repeat nobody, does what we do, for the reasons we do it. That’s the story, not Mark Owen.”

Owen credits his SEAL mates for living a code, working for relative pennies, and shunning fame and fortune. Men who are willing to go into harm’s way to potentially make the ultimate sacrifice in some far off forgotten land that most folks can’t even spell correctly. Owen is spot on when he says, “Society needs to know that there are men out there fighting for their freedoms–who don’t do it for money, don’t do it for fame, but do it for the greater good.” I shared the details of the hunt for Bin Laden in the Tora Bora Mountains in 2001 for the exact same reasons.

America, thank Mark Owen for having the courage to share the moment when his mate took the national shot that dropped the man responsible for the death of nearly 3,000 innocent people eleven years ago. Like every other operator in Abbottabad, Pakistan, that night, Mark Owen is a national hero. Owen and the rest of SEAL Team Six earned it. Owen also earned PNG status, simply because he violated the code. Had he been a “white” SEAL, a Green Beret, or a conventional soldier writing a memoir, he’d simply be a hero. But because he was in Six, a Tier One outfit, he is a hero irrevocably stained with PNG status. It couldn’t have been a surprise. He knew it going in. I’m no hero, but like me, he had a choice.

Unfortunately, PNG status might prove the least of Owen’s problems after his true name was leaked roughly twenty-four hours after public announcement of the forthcoming book. Being dubbed PNG is largely an adolescent slap at a former operator’s reputation. All Tier One operators have either a good one or bad one well before the decision to write a book is made. Some mates will stand by you, others will shun you. But compromising an operator’s true name is much more serious.

Owen has already been publically targeted on al Qaeda associated or Islamic extremist web sites. Revealing Owen’s true name not only endangers his family, but it also potentially puts the cross hairs on his SEAL mates. It didn’t take long for someone to out Owen to FOX News, and in this Internet age, would anyone be surprised if a sophisticated enemy of the United States peeled the onion to add names to their kill list? Owen chose a pseudonym because he wanted to protect others. He knew his choice put him at risk. Irresponsible disclosure of his true name helped al Qaeda more than the actual contents of the book he wrote.

I know Owen has his share of skeletons and demons, how many of us don’t? I also know my mates and I would have taken a bullet on target for him simply because we were all Tier One operators doing the dirty work we were so fortunate to be trusted by a nation to do. We were Army, him Navy–all American servicemen doing our best among America’s best to accomplish the mission and bring everyone home.

I write this now because I have a choice. Everyone I know wishes they could have stood next to Owen when he entered Bin Laden’s compound. But we didn’t have a choice. More than ten years have passed since we had our shot at Bin Laden. It’s been less than a year and a half since Owen and his Six mates raided his hideout. I can either stand idly by, in the shadows, hoping to be left alone and ignored, or I can extend a hand to a mate in need. For me, it’s an easy decision. All of you will make your own choice.

That was a particularly self-serving article by MAJ Greer.

I think I'd like to coin a term, or at least I haven't heard it used before: "smyooping." To author a book which has you banned for life from your old unit. Usage: "Bissonette needed some quick cash so he went smyooping and found a publisher."

That was a particularly self-serving article by MAJ Greer.

I think I'd like to coin a term, or at least I haven't heard it used before: "smyooping." To author a book which has you banned for life from your old unit. Usage: "Bissonette needed some quick cash so he went smyooping and found a publisher."

Okay, I confess, I don't get it: "smyooping": s-my-ooping? Sounds good, but I need a breakdown. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back