Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The consensus among the public is that SEALs do everything and are the best at everything, ever. There is no talking them out of that because the SEAL's have a PR presence that the public has invested in. Among other SOF units, I think we have a more measured opinion about the SEAL Teams. I don't hate them, I've conducted successful joint operations with SEALs, but I am aware of their limitations.

SEALs have had a braggart rep for awhile. DEVGRU isn't necessarily really in the lime-light. I doubt they'll lose missions over it because of more recent events. It's in reality their first leak outside of their founder. DEVGRU keeps hitting the news because the Navy wants to make sure you know it's Navy SEALs out rescuing hostages off the coast of Somalia, so they can stay relevant in this century. It just doesn't take a genius to figure out it's not some platoon from ST3 doing the op.

That's been the result of the Navy's PR machine over the last twenty or so years.

If I may for the record when I asked the question, I had meant how others in the military/SOF see them.

I see human beings, and all that entails.

Special? Yes. Within the community.

But not that special outside the community. And, while you are asking about the opinions of military/SOF, I think context is important. It's a good thing when any community remembers that it is not the center of the universe; especially when that community serves other communities and especially in a very limited arena.

Will the talkers be PNG? That's a family matter and I would not allow my feelings to be influenced by one side or the other. If ST 6 wants to ostracize an author, that will not cause me to do so. I judge each man as he comes and try not to let others tell me who my enemies are. Personally, I wouldn't treat one of them any different than their nemesis. Just me.

P.S. As to genuine PerSec/OpSec issues, I would defer to any independent, objective tribunal of competent jurisdiction, sans political motivation.

It's in reality their first leak outside of their founder.

There was Howard Wasdin's book from a year or two ago.

I acquired a copy of No Easy Day and am halfway through it. The opening "explanation" (calling it an Introduction would be a huge stretch as it is one big excuse) had me laughing or gritting my teeth depending upon the paragraph. His repeated use of "brotherhood" was particularly hilarious since he's been PNG'ed and knew he would be.

So far, a lot of it was fairly vanilla and nothing more than what you could read in Fearless, Chris Kyle's book, Horse Soldiers, etc.; generic war stories that honestly aren't much different than what you can read on this and other forums.

With that said, I've hit one or two spots already (I'm not into The Mission yet) that I couldn't believe he'd write about., even in generic terms.

As to the use of a pseudonym, he's a moron. I'll say it and be candid about it. In the "Introduction" he talks about protecting himself and his teammates (sorry, the "brotherhood") and justifies the use of a nom de guerre. He then promptly lays out his life story with enough details you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out his real name so I think he's either a complete retard or did so for some follow-on whining or lawsuits once he was outed.

He justifies publishing the book based on the review of a "Special Operations Lawyer" (as mentioned earlier in this thread). Again, more ass-covering than concern for the "brotherhood."

It is also an airsofter's/ fan boy's wet dream with enough information about weapons and their effectiveness/ usage to spawn a number of know-it-all threads on the internet, airsoft sales, and other nonsense from the never going anywhere, never doing anything crowd.

The book is easy enough to read, but it doesn't feel polished...it feels rough, almost like the author merely transcribed a bunch of taped interviews or recollections.

Between this and Fearless you'll have a rough training outline of Green Platoon and the standards involved. Kudos for that guys...

Which brings me to my point and I'll shut up (until I finish the book): You could honestly start to pinpoint JSOC missions between this, Fearless, and reading the newspaper/ internet. Seriously. He's deliberately vague on some of the timelines (to protect the "brotherhood"), but then provides enough detail that you could start to flesh out the details or persons involved; to include CAG. Combined, the two books allow someone to start connecting the dots and I think that's probably the scariest part of all about it.

There was Howard Wasdin's book from a year or two ago.

I acquired a copy of No Easy Day and am halfway through it. The opening "explanation" (calling it an Introduction would be a huge stretch as it is one big excuse) had me laughing or gritting my teeth depending upon the paragraph. His repeated use of "brotherhood" was particularly hilarious since he's been PNG'ed and knew he would be.

So far, a lot of it was fairly vanilla and nothing more than what you could read in Fearless, Chris Kyle's book, Horse Soldiers, etc.; generic war stories that honestly aren't much different than what you can read on this and other forums.

With that said, I've hit one or two spots already (I'm not into The Mission yet) that I couldn't believe he'd write about., even in generic terms.

As to the use of a pseudonym, he's a moron. I'll say it and be candid about it. In the "Introduction" he talks about protecting himself and his teammates (sorry, the "brotherhood") and justifies the use of a nom de guerre. He then promptly lays out his life story with enough details you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out his real name so I think he's either a complete retard or did so for some follow-on whining or lawsuits once he was outed.

He justifies publishing the book based on the review of a "Special Operations Lawyer" (as mentioned earlier in this thread). Again, more ass-covering than concern for the "brotherhood."

It is also an airsofter's/ fan boy's wet dream with enough information about weapons and their effectiveness/ usage to spawn a number of know-it-all threads on the internet, airsoft sales, and other nonsense from the never going anywhere, never doing anything crowd.

The book is easy enough to read, but it doesn't feel polished...it feels rough, almost like the author merely transcribed a bunch of taped interviews or recollections.

Between this and Fearless you'll have a rough training outline of Green Platoon and the standards involved. Kudos for that guys...

Which brings me to my point and I'll shut up (until I finish the book): You could honestly start to pinpoint JSOC missions between this, Fearless, and reading the newspaper/ internet. Seriously. He's deliberately vague on some of the timelines (to protect the "brotherhood"), but then provides enough detail that you could start to flesh out the details or persons involved; to include CAG. Combined, the two books allow someone to start connecting the dots and I think that's probably the scariest part of all about it.

Great review! I just started glancing through "Fearless" the other day and while I was thoroughly impressed with Chief Brown's ability to turn his life around, and despite my fan boy side eating up all the info on Green Team, I was surprised that it had been released to what seems like little to no push back from SOCOM.

Also, I have to ask, any cool guy pictures in this book? I know I'm not the only one who flips right to the center to find the cool images lol

Great review! I just started glancing through "Fearless" the other day and while I was thoroughly impressed with Chief Brown's ability to turn his life around, and despite my fan boy side eating up all the info on Green Team, I was surprised that it had been released to what seems like little to no push back from SOCOM.

Also, I have to ask, any cool guy pictures in this book? I know I'm not the only one who flips right to the center to find the cool images lol

If you call only smoking crack once or twice while a SEAL, then yeah, he turned it around.

I have an electronic copy and have not seen any photos as yet.

Reactions: CDG
If you call only smoking crack once or twice while a SEAL, then yeah, he turned it around.

I have an electronic copy and have not seen any photos as yet.
I hadn't read that- I flipped around to the parts about deployments and some of the stuff early in his life. I'm shocked they would have put that in there.

Yeah.... Fearless was a decent read, and maybe I'm out of line, but I was less than impressed with Chief Brown's other accomplishments in light of this. Dude smokes crack while an operational SEAL and nothing happens to him?

I hadn't read that- I flipped around to the parts about deployments and some of the stuff early in his life. I'm shocked they would have put that in there.

There was at least one episode mentioned, and maybe that was it, but he was at his team, this is post-BUD/S mind you, when it happened. He disappeared for a day or two. His wife knew and I think one other SEAL knew, but I'd have to go back and re-read it before I commented any further.

There was at least one episode mentioned, and maybe that was it, but he was at his team, this is post-BUD/S mind you, when it happened. He disappeared for a day or two. His wife knew and I think one other SEAL knew, but I'd have to go back and re-read it before I commented any further.

Correct. His closest friend at the time, also a SEAL, knew. He confronted him about it, but never reported it.

I'm 99% sure it was one episode while a SEAL. If my memory serves me right, his wife threatened to take the kids with her. Something along those lines.

I really enjoyed Fearless and read it in just over a day. I'm halfway through No Easy Day. I agree with Freefalling in the review thus far. If I really wanted to I could probably dig deep to find out what operations he's talking about, but beyond that I have no clue about the specifics as far as who they were going after.

The consensus among the public is that SEALs do everything and are the best at everything, ever. There is no talking them out of that because the SEAL's have a PR presence that the public has invested in. Among other SOF units, I think we have a more measured opinion about the SEAL Teams. I don't hate them, I've conducted successful joint operations with SEALs, but I am aware of their limitations.

Sorry to ask Jacky, but I'm really curious in this one, what limitations are you talking about? could you be more specific?

I'm pretty sure a little more detail on that is in the Ebook "No easy op"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back