Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombing Times Square or some celebration in downtown LA wouldn't spread fear and push their agenda much more?

Bombing Times Square or some celebration in downtown LA wouldn't spread fear and push their agenda much more?

Symbolism, my good man, symbolism.

Consider also the negative effect on the country's morale, and more significantly, on its ability to field SOF warriors if a birthday party attended by multiple Frogmen was blown into another dimension.

There is so much more to this discussion, but I'll not go further here.

Word on the street: Not a good week to be in NSW.... apparently the hammer is coming down, and hard, on those guys.

That's one of the most annoying things about this whole debale for me.

The author got out, now he'll get the fame, money, interviews etc. while the lads who are still serving in NSW are going to get it in the neck from the higher ups in their CoC.

Symbolism, my good man, symbolism.

Consider also the negative effect on the country's morale, and more significantly, on its ability to field SOF warriors if a birthday party attended by multiple Frogmen was blown into another dimension.

There is so much more to this discussion, but I'll not go further here.

Regarding morale: Americans tend to not get demoralized by these kinds of things. They tend to get wound up instead, but even more so when the target is civilian. In fact, when the target is civilian, we ask WTF? Where was my government, my military? I thought they were defending me so I could sleep peacefully at night?

Whereas, when the target is military, be it a helicopter full of SEALs in AStan or a bar full of them CONUS, Americans tend to mourn and then carry on with the war. I'm being generous here and you know it.

I am not saying the military, or their families and their respective communities are immune to feelings, I'm just saying that it comes with the job. That is what I was always told and trained to believe.

As you noted, there is so much more to this discussion and you are correct. A *lot* more. I will extrapolate if the replies take the conversation in that direction, or if there is an interest in my thoughts on the matter. Right now I have to take a retired Marine and her daughter on a hike. :-/

I would think that killing a group of 30+ Spec Ops warriors in a bar would be very appealing to most "radicals". Men that they have sworn blood oaths against and celebrated intensely when they had the "honor" of killing one or two, while they themselves lost hundreds. I believe that sometimes it gets down to the base desire of wanting revenge, not to say that they don't thrive for manipulation on the masses, but they may desire to show our nation what it can do to it's warriors at home.

As stated before, plans have already been uncovered in the recent past, so there's no denying that this is one of "their" objectives.

This is fricken pathetic. You want to talk about how cool you think you are? Do it 10-20 years down the fricken road.

OPSEC and NDA's are a fucking joke.

Oh, and I guess some idiot released this idiot's name to news and now everyone knows who he is. If you don't want to people to know your real name, then why write a fricken book?!?!

This is just another example towards making the SEALs a joke..................and to a lesser extent, the Spec Ops community as a whole.

"Secret" now means "write a fucking book one year after an op"

Oh, and I hope this idiot gets prosecuted for this. Never happen, but one can hope........

I hope the quiet professionals in the NSW community will forgive me, but I think that SEALs as a whole are going to bare the brunt of this and have to absorb the fall out from this book. In the end, they will be the ones getting their shit pushed in because some dude is bitter about getting kicked out of Dev and decided to cash in.

Yeah, he wasn't kicked out of the Navy but knew that his reputation was shit so he got out of the service entirely.

Yeah, he wasn't kicked out of the Navy but knew that his reputation was shit so he got out of the service entirely.

My turn to be confused. What is the chronology here? The first post makes it sound like he's bitter about getting kicked out so then decides to cash in. The second post makes it sound like he decided to cash in and then left because he'd be PNG for doing so.

I'm ASSuming the second post is correct? I find it hard to believe that one of the "best of the best" and one of the first through the door on UBL was getting kicked out of the Navy for some reason, was bitter and then decided to write a book about the raid.

Thanks for any clarification.

Both are correct, he was kicked out of Dev and then decided to leave the Navy on his own initiative.

Something else. It sounds like there was a lot of bad blood in the water as he departed. He had to be very bitter to have thrown his old unit under the bus like this.

He'll probably make more money off this book than he would ever have made in the Navy. I hope that helps him sleep at night. :thumbsdown:

It will be a best seller for sure, and whatever is written in the book will automatically become the established narrative or "truth". Like you say, I hope it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back