Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dug this up.......I had to :D

Let's play a game, how high were the people who conjured up this idea on a scale of 1 to Carl Sagan?
354uxo.jpg

Mark Owens is on a roll.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/75843/no-easy-day-author-consulted-for-medal-of-honor-warfighter

Quote from the article: "This guy, very simply, sought to profit from his experiences as an operator."Unquote.

Yeah. Strange that. Guy's got a skill set that he can take with him into civilian life and make work for him and some people think that's not okay?
Get a clue.
Plenty of ex-military guys now serving in private 'security' companies around the world. Plenty more writing books and advising on action video games and movies.

I note that the Government has still not taken any action against No Easy Day.
All bluster and no bullets.
They talk a good fight, but like everything else they do of late, are mere toothless tigers slobbering to the media in righteous indignation, but failing to back up any of their threats.
Likely Mark Owen will still be writing books when Obama and the current powers are long gone and forgotten.

Yeah. Strange that. Guy's got a skill set that he can take with him into civilian life and make work for him and some people think that's not okay?

No, it's not OK. He gave his word (through a binding signature) that it's not OK. The culture of the community says it's not OK. And the law says it's not OK.

So yeah, it's not OK.

Get a clue.

The guy could have used his skillset to make money on the civilian side without violating NDAs and betraying his teammates. Speaking of needing to get a clue....

No, it's not OK. He gave his word (through a binding signature) that it's not OK. The culture of the community says it's not OK. And the law says it's not OK.

So yeah, it's not OK.

That binding signature doesn't seem to be binding at all, does it?
The law says it's not okay...law doesn't seem to have done anything either.
Culture of the community...have any of the SEAL's that Mark Owen served with actually come right out and said they're pissed with him?
Or is it all from the higher echelons of the service and Government?

The culture amongst younger service members is changing I think.
In the UK Special Forces operators think nothing of leaving the service after a tour and going private.
In fact it was recently announced that the British SAS is manpower short due to the high number of members who have left to join private 'security' companies.
(I understand that it's not private military contractor anymore, now it's private security/protection contractor. Trying to get away from the mercenary tag.)
The fighting for your country, or fighting for a paypacket ideal is beginning to blur.
Lot of guys and gals are thinking why shouldn't they get paid more for the work they do.
It begs the question: Should a (for example) Navy SEAL in a combat zone get paid more than an Admiral in a safe zone?

But back to the Mark Owen book debate....I'm wondering what the resultant fervor would have been if he had written a fictional novel about SEALS and included details of the Bin Liner kiling as part of the fictional plot?

While actions might speak louder than words, lack of action doesn't mean he hasn't broken the law/pissed off Team Guys he served with.

Geez, what was that, like a triple negative? :ehh:

Not quite sure how this applies...

It's a video of Chris Kyle from Craft International doing some shooting with the guys from Red Jacket.

Wanted a "Recreation" of the HK "Believed" to have been used to take out OBL.

Written by another SEAL that served with Mark Owen: http://www.theblaze.com/contributio...n-laden-raid-book-we-weep-from-your-betrayal/

"Every SEAL I’ve spoken with feels betrayed by his actions. He’s loved by his brothers, but forbidden to ever stand within their circle again."

You sure Emily Bronte didn't write that story?

"It took me all of two text messages to figure out who wrote the book, and in an instant my heart was broken. I’m still conflicted. I‘m mad but I don’t want to be. Part of me understands why Mark did what he did, but there’s another part of me is so disappointed it makes me physically ill. Every SEAL I’ve spoken with feels betrayed by his actions. He’s loved by his brothers, but forbidden to ever stand within their circle again."

Pass me a tissue.

As former commander of JSOC, why would McChrystal not be criticized for writing a book? I'm sure it has some material of his Hunter Killer time with 145 in Iraq..

That binding signature doesn't seem to be binding at all, does it?
The law says it's not okay...law doesn't seem to have done anything either.
Are you really implying that if a law isn't immediately enforced, it's acceptable to violate it?

Culture of the community...have any of the SEAL's that Mark Owen served with actually come right out and said they're pissed with him?
Yes, but does it matter? Why should they have to make a public statement?

Or is it all from the higher echelons of the service and Government?
Again...why does this matter?

The culture amongst younger service members is changing I think.
In the UK Special Forces operators think nothing of leaving the service after a tour and going private.
In fact it was recently announced that the British SAS is manpower short due to the high number of members who have left to join private 'security' companies.
(I understand that it's not private military contractor anymore, now it's private security/protection contractor. Trying to get away from the mercenary tag.)
The fighting for your country, or fighting for a paypacket ideal is beginning to blur.
Lot of guys and gals are thinking why shouldn't they get paid more for the work they do.

Absolutely irrelevant. By way of example here in the US, Larry Vickers or Kyle Lamb or Chris Kyle teaching firearms, consulting, being a spokesperson is not illegal or improper. And they haven't been PNG'd.

But back to the Mark Owen book debate....I'm wondering what the resultant fervor would have been if he had written a fictional novel about SEALS and included details of the Bin Liner kiling as part of the fictional plot?
He didn't though, did he?

As former commander of JSOC, why would McChrystal not be criticized for writing a book? I'm sure it has some material of his Hunter Killer time with 145 in Iraq..

I fully expect he will be criticized for the book, and there may be some justification for it. I guess we'll have to see what happens when the book is released.

But I fail to see what that has to do with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back