Boston Dynamics Big Dog

Very impressive engineering with incredible potential. Can't wait to see 4th or 5th Gen. But right now the prototype looks extremely vulnerable. I don't see it as a viable alternative or a practical replacement for a pack mule or a llama for many years, so I was surprised the article mentioned it was being "deployed" to A-stan. To do what?

DARPA needs to continue funding robotics, but this is a perfect example of reaching that edge where high tech meets stoneage tech...and sometimes the same things that make something so amazing are also the same things that make it worthless in a combat environment. I'm not from the old school that says high tech is bad...I'm from the school that says use a real llama for high altitude humping instead of trying to invent a mechanical llama. And wake me up when your mechanical llama surpasses my real llama in its ability to perform the assigned tasks. I can tell you one thing: your go-cart engine will run out of gas before my llama does.

I have no doubt that's true, but damn. Anyway, I believe there are several autonomous wheeled vehicles that will be going into the service shortly that will travel with patrols, etc. I forget the name. There's a heavy and a light version and they can go over just about anything and more or less act on their own.

Segway was supposed to be developing one for the military.

Ehh, i know i'm a newbie here, but what i DO know from experience is technology and machines BREAK.

What the hell do you do when that thing just stops listening to you for whatever friggin reason.... you can't even trip the thing or take it down.

I can see this thing just running for the hills and a bunch of guys trying to get their 340 lbs of shit back all while the Benny Hill theme song is playin.

Shit breaks....

Back