Case Study #2: The Loyal Wife

Well, I can see a loyal wife being supportive of her husband's wishes and his career, to include supporting his decision to deploy.

That is a definite, but I think there's more to it...what, I'm not sure just yet. But my spidey senses are tingling.

Being supportive is different than wanting your spouse to deploy. :2c:

OK, this is going to be a little long so bear with me. Bottom line question- does SGT Bradley go home, or stay deployed?

/////

You've been deployed for a little over a month. Everyone's been working very hard; the last Group was supposed to have had everything set up and running before they left, but we all know how that goes... at any rate, you're in the MWR hut late at night, about to sit down to make a call home when you notice SGT Bradley a couple of booths down. From his body language you can tell he's extremely upset. You ask what's wrong. Bradley glances around and sees that there is no one else in the room. "Sir, my wife's cheating on me" he tells you point-blank. You're a little taken aback by this, and ask him to explain how he knows that. He launches into a long list of things she's be doing- spending lots of money, sounding distant on the phone, not home when he calls at night, etc. You try to give Mrs. Bradley the benefit of the doubt. As you're running through possible scenarios to explain her behavior that don't involve her being a two-timing, cheating, lying, worthless piece of shit fucking whore (his words, not yours), he starts dialing. "Listen to this," he says.

It's the answering machine messages from his place back home. As you listen, you hear a young male voice saying how he can't wait for tonight, and starts ticking off all of the things he's going to do later in the evening. Just as you start to think, "well, maybe it's just a wrong number," Mrs. Bradley's voice comes on the line. The two talk for a few seconds before the answering machine kicks off. There is no doubt that Mrs. Bradley is cheating.

You and SGT Bradley talk for a few more minutes. You tell him to come see you and the first sergeant after breakfast in the morning. As soon as he leaves, you go wake up First Sergeant; your phone call home will have to wait.

First Sergeant listens while you explain what just happened. He tells you that a couple of days ago SSG Rico, SGT Bradley's supervisor, approached the first sergeant to let him know that Bradley's work performance has declined dramatically since arriving in-country. Bradley demonstrates little interest in eating, socializing, or working. He spends a lot of time on the Internet. Rico knew something was wrong when Bradley stopped participating in the time-honored company tradition, playing Call of Duty over the unclassified LAN.

First Sergeant asks what you want to do, and says he'll support whatever decision you make. There are only two options- keep Bradley in-theater to complete his deployment, or send him home. First Sergeant reminds you that the Group is critically short in Bradley's MOS, and that it's unlikely that the Group Sergeant Major will support sending Bradley home.

What do you do, and why?

you posted while I was posting.

if the CSM won't let him go home for a brief period to personally execute the slut, then advise and assist him to do what I would have highly advised him to do when he went home

the family care plan that was set up for the possible brain tumor issue... execute it. Where do the kids go. Who are they staying with. Who's checking on the post housing.

Do the paperwork to ban the wife from post, too bad you aren't stationed overseas and can't EROD the spouse if she's being a shitbag. Get the guy to the chaplain so he can lay it all out in front of the man. support him in whatever decision he ends up taking but advise sling load should be cut on this one and throw the hook back into the sea once you get back.

send him home for 2 weeks to clean house (and I mean clean house) cut the bitch loose, change accounts, etc!

Oh I love being right! :)

I'd send him home. I won't want someone who's head is out of the game. It could jeopardize other people's lives.

Unless........the whole message on the answering machine was a fake. :uhh:

Is the brain tumor truly real? Is Jody the doctor...?

His head isn't in the game, unless you can get him to focus he could get hurt...or worse. Then again, he could go home and get himself into a whole heap of trouble. Pondering...

Oh I love being right! :)

I'd send him home. I won't want someone who's head is out of the game. It could jeopardize other people's lives.

Unless........the whole message on the answering machine was a fake. :uhh:

Well called. I'm kinda curious (going back to the first few posts here), as to why the SSGT didn't want Bradley deploying in the first place...? Or is that unknown to all but the SSGT?

LOL, you guys are devious... I like it.

I don't recall stating that SSG Rico wanted Bradley to stay back; if I did that's a mistake on my part. Rico wanted Bradley to deploy.

The answering machine message is real. So is the tumor. No one in the chain of command is sleeping with Mrs. Bradley (including the guy she's married to :uhh:). You know she's not banging the doctor because he's in-country with you.

(Although it would have made a much better story if the tumor was fake, she was banging the doctor, and the answering machine message was a fake... hmmm... ;) )

/////

You and the first sergeant decide that SGT Bradley is worthless in-theater. You and the first sergeant both have an excellent relationship with the Group Command Sergeant Major (CSM), so even though this is "NCO business," you both go to talk to him.

After listening closely to what both of you have to say, the CSM stuns both of you by rejecting the idea of sending Bradley home out of hand. He explains that sending Bradley home at this point would only compound the situation; with everyone in the chain of command forward, and with SGT Bradley's mental state the way it is, it is extremely likely that someone would end up in jail, if not dead, if Bradley went home. There's trouble down in Najaf so sending additional personnel home with Bradley is out. Bradely's just going to have to suck it up and stay in-theater. This doens't make a lot of sense to the two of you, but the CSM's word is law.

You go back to Bradley to give him the bad news. Turns out that his wife dropped off his sons and Bradley's mother's house. He has control of what's left of his finances, so he doesn't have to worry about his wife tapping out his bank account. He turns over a sheaf of emails to you that say... <let me see if I can find them>

This is what would happen in Alaska (and I've seen happen). CONUS, not sure what to do.

Early Return of Dependents: ERD is governed by paragraph Part J, U5900(B), JFTR. Command sponsorship is a privilege, not a right. A commander may use ERD to end the OCONUS presence of a family member where the continued presence of the family member is embarrassing to the U.S. Government, is prejudicial to the order, morale, and discipline in the command, or where the family member's safety can no longer be ensured. ERD orders are normally requested by a commander in situations where family members have committed misconduct, or where force protection or anti-terrorism situations require action.

Once a family member leaves Alaska on ERD orders, return to the OCONUS command at Government expense is not authorized unless the family member was returned for their own safety. Family members that were returned as a result of an incident embarrassing to the Government, or for behavior prejudicial to the good order of the unit, may not be further moved at Government expense until the soldier is ordered on PCS from overseas Permanent Duty station or serves an IPCOT.

A family member cannot be forced to depart Alaska. If a family member under ERD orders does not depart Alaska, but chooses instead to remain and live on the economy, there is no entitlement for Government assistance in the move. The orders end the command sponsorship of the family and provides the family member transportation and shipment of household goods back to the Lower 48 within 15 days of issuance. A family member may decide to remain in Alaska despite the ERD orders, hopefully understanding that the Army will not transport the family member to the Lower 48 after the 15 days. If the ERD orders were issued due to family member misconduct, the family member may also be barred from USARAK installations.

Back