Covid-19

So vaccine mandates at events were still a thing, and someone at the Special Olympics thought it would be a good idea to host the USA Games in Florida...and keep the mandate in place. Well...mandates like this are in fact discriminatory. I get that these are our most vulnerable population. But 12% of your athlete populace for the host state gets removed by keeping that in place. An event that is all about inclusion. Well SO listened and shut the hell up.

This past weekend GCX was in town, one of the big gaming conventions and one that features a large number of Destiny 2 content creators and the like (GCX is sponsored by Bungie, so go figure).

Errrrrrrybody coming down with the 'Rona right now. I was bummed I didn't go for at least one day, but now I'm looking like one of the smartest men on...not the planet. My street?

COVID is a thing going forward, we're going to have to deal with it, but if you're going to large gatherings do your own risk assessment. You should always do that regardless, but...

Anyway, be a decent human being. Wash your hands, keep them away from your face, cough/ sneeze into your elbow...don't be a fucking dirty-assed pig.

The biggest secondary effect I hate about the entire Covid response is the fact that almost nothing is open past 10pm anymore. Many stores close as early as 7pm now. 🤬
I don't understand how the living holy fuck people are still ok with this fact. It's everywhere (except Vegas)- why are there curfews now? And I use the word "curfews" deliberately; you can either tell everyone they have to be in at 10pm and then enforce it, OR you simply shut everything down early and give people no reason to be out... which then allows you to police those people.

Nonsense.

I don't understand how the living holy fuck people are still ok with this fact. It's everywhere (except Vegas)- why are there curfews now? And I use the word "curfews" deliberately; you can either tell everyone they have to be in at 10pm and then enforce it, OR you simply shut everything down early and give people no reason to be out... which then allows you to police those people.

Nonsense.

I’ve not heard of this? Is it because no one has staff? Where is this happening?

I’ve not heard of this? Is it because no one has staff? Where is this happening?
Pretty much all of central and NE Florida. Is it an unofficial curfew, is it staff related, I have idea, but when Chili’s and Applebees won’t stay open past midnight, something is wrong. Some Denny’s aren’t even 24 hours anymore. Burger Kings here are just boarded up.

Even restaurants near Orlando International are closed by midnight.

Happening everywhere, as far as I can tell. Airport restaurants closing at 700 pm (like, all of them in Dallas, about 3 weeks ago), lounges too.

Restaurants in Washington (I can personally speak for the "coolest" parts of Seattle, Tacoma, Bellvue, Olympia) rarely stay open past 1200; more like 10 pm.

I've been to- Texas, Nevada, Alaska, Alabama, Cali, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon and Florida in 2022, and I have noticed it in every single state (I was in Vegas last weekend and only noticed it in the airport).

The Dallas Cowboys bar I was sitting at had last call at 1830, to close by 1900- my flight was originally scheduled at 830pm, but was delayed, with nearly every other flight (I ended up staying in Dallas, where I couldnt find anywhere that was open to dine in after about 8pm on that Sunday).

Happening everywhere, as far as I can tell. Airport restaurants closing at 700 pm (like, all of them in Dallas, about 3 weeks ago), lounges too.

Restaurants in Washington (I can personally speak for the "coolest" parts of Seattle, Tacoma, Bellvue, Olympia) rarely stay open past 1200; more like 10 pm.

I've been to- Texas, Nevada, Alaska, Alabama, Cali, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon and Florida in 2022, and I have noticed it in every single state (I was in Vegas last weekend and only noticed it in the airport).

The Dallas Cowboys bar I was sitting at had last call at 1830, to close by 1900- my flight was originally scheduled at 830pm, but was delayed, with nearly every other flight (I ended up staying in Dallas, where I couldnt find anywhere that was open to dine in after about 8pm on that Sunday).
Right?! I'm headed to AZ in a couple weeks. Assuming it isn't canceled, my flight is scheduled to arrive about 8pm. I'm sure I won't be able to find anywhere open to grab a bite to eat or drink once I get there. That's just wrong.

Pretty much all of central and NE Florida. Is it an unofficial curfew, is it staff related, I have idea, but when Chili’s and Applebees won’t stay open past midnight, something is wrong. Some Denny’s aren’t even 24 hours anymore. Burger Kings here are just boarded up.

Even restaurants near Orlando International are closed by midnight.
My Daughter lives in Clermont. She has confirmed this in recent conversations.

Good to go here still. My preferred watering hole is til 2300 Sun-Thru, and until midnight Fri and Saturday. It's a nicer Irish Pub of sorts. Campus, places are until 0200 still, but I don't venture that way often. Granted, staffing hasn't been an issue.

No clue on the airport, but it closes up shop on last departure last I knew.

I’m not questioning it. I have an 8 month old, I have been out past 10 once maybe in 16 months. From what I understand many places have a tough time filling staff.

I may be naive, and probably am. But I don’t think businesses are closing because of some soft curfew from the government. I think they don’t have the ability to run a profitable business. Whether that is staffing, or something else I don’t know.

I’m not questioning it. I have an 8 month old, I have been out past 10 once maybe in 16 months. From what I understand many places have a tough time filling staff.

I may be naive, and probably am. But I don’t think businesses are closing because of some soft curfew from the government. I think they don’t have the ability to run a profitable business. Whether that is staffing, or something else I don’t know.
Makes sense.

That's the interesting thing. Why are there staffing shortages all of the sudden?

This is occuring across nearly all industries. It ties directly to Covid and the government response at some level, yet, it makes no logical sense, economically or otherwise.

Are a significant number afraid to return to work? If so, why? Are they leaving the work force completely? How are they paying bills? Surely most don’t have huge nest eggs saved up. At the same time, many people appear eager to spend if given the opportunity - demand is there.

This all happened within the last 2 years - like some one flipped a switch. So, the government response and resulting staffing shortages, in many ways still has the same effect as a soft curfew, even in instances where it may be unintended.

And don’t get me started on product shortages...

Back