Covid-19

That's some next-level stuff right there. I don't remember that in ROTC or the Basic Course.
Can't speak for ROTC, but when I was indentured as a platoon trainer at the Basic Course, etiquette was not in the POI...we did have an hour or so prior to the Dining In, but that was it...we did have both informal and formal receptions, each preceded by a briefing...that was in 1984-1985...

Can't speak for ROTC, but when I was indentured as a platoon trainer at the Basic Course, etiquette was not in the POI...we did have an hour or so prior to the Dining In, but that was it...we did have both informal and formal receptions, each preceded by a briefing...that was in 1984-1985...

An hour? Push posh. How can you possibly understand how to properly wear your white gloves and present your calling card with an hour's instruction?

An hour? Push posh. How can you possibly understand how to properly wear your white gloves and present your calling card with an hour's instruction?
When I went through the basic course, we didn't even have a dining in or receptions...when I was a trainer, the basic course was trying to be pretty lean in extracurricular stuff. An hour for a dining in wasn't that much less than we had for land navigation. We had about a half day refresher on site, prior to sending the students out on a diagnostic course. The expectation was that the commissioning sources had done their job and prepared the new officers for what they were going to encounter in the course. We then conducted remedial training on weekends for the 50-70% of LTs that flunked the diagnostic test. That was very popular with the trainers, as we had to sacrifice our weekends until the no-gos passed another diagnostic test or perhaps managed to pass the first record test...in a typical 17 week cycle, we had an average of two or three weekends off.

When I went through the basic course, we didn't even have a dining in or receptions...when I was a trainer, the basic course was trying to be pretty lean in extracurricular stuff. An hour for a dining in wasn't that much less than we had for land navigation. We had about a half day refresher on site, prior to sending the students out on a diagnostic course. The expectation was that the commissioning sources had done their job and prepared the new officers for what they were going to encounter in the course. We then conducted remedial training on weekends for the 50-70% of LTs that flunked the diagnostic test. That was very popular with the trainers, as we had to sacrifice our weekends until the no-gos passed another diagnostic test or perhaps managed to pass the first record test...in a typical 17 week cycle, we had an average of two or three weekends off.

To be fair, a lot of my commentary is tongue in cheek. The Navy was holding on to anachronistic etiquette and traditions of naval officers which were deeply embedded in a significant caste system in the Navy. It was almost as if being a good Naval officer and warrior was actually rooted into which spoon or fork you used.

I get that in the Marine Corps Basic School they have a little more education in these things, but an OCS it is all about drilling down to who has the best skills and talents to be a warrior and a leader. Not the case in the Navy (then, I don't know about now).

So, no box of wine from state store?
I don't want to make it sound like I would turn it down. Boone's Farm is totally my level of sophistication. I just don't like to drink wine much anymore if I can get something fancier... like Southern Comfort ;)

The only reason I like The Glenlivet and Macalan is for sentimental reasons related to the generosity of my UK suitemate during one of my deployments to Iraq.

To pile on to @ThunderHorse 's good post... things might get interesting with these emails. More so because there will be a full month to remind everyone how the administration treated free speech and colluded with big tech.

Feds reeling from new vax study, lawsuits on social media censorship and COVID stat manipulation
I was in NYC today and stopped in to get some Chik Fil A (because, reasons) and the entire staff is wearing masks.

Seriously, WTF. Your employees’ health is in FAR more danger from the unmasked crazy drug addicted woman outside shaking down everyone “a dollar to buy tampons” than it is from anything a patron brings into the store.

To pile on to @ThunderHorse 's good post... things might get interesting with these emails. More so because there will be a full month to remind everyone how the administration treated free speech and colluded with big tech.

Feds reeling from new vax study, lawsuits on social media censorship and COVID stat manipulation

The study is a real interesting meta-analysis. The findings, from the article;

Led by University of Washington applied medical anthropologist Kevin Bardosh, the study estimates that at least 22,000 "previously uninfected adults aged 18-29 must be boosted with an mRNA vaccine to prevent one Covid-19 hospitalisation" while causing 18-98 "serious adverse events," based on CDC and "sponsor-reported" data.

These include 1.7 to 3 "booster-associated myocarditis cases in males, and 1,373 to 3,234 cases of grade ≥3 reactogenicity which interferes with daily activities," to prevent one hospitalization, the study found. "Given the high prevalence of post-infection immunity, this risk-benefit profile is even less favourable."

I dug into the study, because there are lots of quotation marks in there and I wanted to see them in context.

To paraphrase the study;

It assumes the students have already received vaccinations, and will be getting the Pfizer booster.

It uses Pfizer's data on how many "serious adverse events" were directly tied to the vaccine. a SAE is a reaction that causes hospitalization, disability/incapacity, or death.

Reactogenicity rates are based on self reported numbers. Reactogenicity (I've learned) means the crappy feeling you get after a vaccine. Grade 3 is when it puts you on your ass the day after.

The myocarditis rate comes from the CDC's Vaccine Safety Datalink numbers, which actively tracks reactions to vaccines.

The "booster to prevent hospitalization rate" comes from the CDC.

So to "follow the science", the FDA should pull the Pfizer booster and the CDC should recommend no boosters for those not in high risk groups.

Sure, that'll happen.

I dug into the study, because there are lots of quotation marks in there and I wanted to see them in context.

To paraphrase the study;

It assumes the students have already received vaccinations, and will be getting the Pfizer booster.

It uses Pfizer's data on how many "serious adverse events" were directly tied to the vaccine. a SAE is a reaction that causes hospitalization, disability/incapacity, or death.

Reactogenicity rates are based on self reported numbers. Reactogenicity (I've learned) means the crappy feeling you get after a vaccine. Grade 3 is when it puts you on your ass the day after.

The myocarditis rate comes from the CDC's Vaccine Safety Datalink numbers, which actively tracks reactions to vaccines.

So to "follow the science", the FDA should pull the Pfizer booster and the CDC should recommend no boosters for those not in high risk groups.

Sure, that'll happen.
You’re cancelled. Sorry, that’s the precedent for actually reading and following the data. Take your stuff and go to the front door of the internet; it’s an Ask Jeeves site that just has ‘naked bobs’ in the search window.

To paraphrase the study;

Sure, that'll happen.

This is why I got the J&J...

I didn’t understand a lot of the words in that study, but I don’t need to in order to state this incontrovertible fact: that.shit.didn’t.work.

My dad and I were both fully Pfizered. Both of us got COVID anyway (me a few months before him). Dad got it so bad they Red Cross messaged me home because they thought he was going to die.

The whole selling point was that this vax was going to keep us from getting COVID. Then after everyone started getting it anyway, it was “well it would have been worse without the jab.” Really? Because the only thing worse for my dad would have literally been dying.

Dad didn’t die because he’s hard core old school SOF and took care of himself after he retired. He rolled the vax dice for no reason.

My mother and my sister didn’t get vaccinated and they also didn’t get COVID. The vax didn’t give me COVID, but it also didn’t keep me from getting it.

We destroyed the world’s economy and our education system and further divided our country for no reason.

My organization is very iron-fisted when it comes to mandatory anything; No compliance, take a hike. But anyone and everyone who's putting in for a waiver is getting approved. I don't feel the same robust attitude towards a mandatory vaccination as I have seen with other mandatory things. I feel that they see the handwriting on the wall.

Back