• Shotgun (Specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honorable Katana

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
As some of you may know, I'll be moving soon from New York to the NCR. Since I'll be living in NoVA, that means that I can get guns again! Hooray! Additionally, my new job means extra cash for bullet throwers and whatever else I may want.

Thing is, I used to be a big gun fan, but I haven't followed firearm tech in the past six or seven years (beyond occasionally reading this forum). Unfortunately it's not as easy as googling "What gun should I get please help me google". So in the spirit of the democratic process, I'm crowd-sourcing my next purchase! Please select a poll choice and put a suggestion in the reply.

My current inventory is kinda slim. I've got an old Sig 245, two revolvers, a 1911, and an FN semi-auto shotgun. I'm primarily looking at guns that are fun. I don't intend to do a lot of carrying so that's not a huge concern. One thing I'm looking at doing, however, is getting into competition shooting. Probably IDPA, or perhaps 3 gun.

Let's hear your suggestions!

SCAR17

Take a good look at NY State laws regarding firearms. From the time I was a kid, you had to have a permit just to own a hand gun in the State of NY. The CCW laws are nothing like they are in the Commonwealth of Virginia. In NYC it gets even harder.

The poll doesn't make much sense to me, but it's your thread.
If he's not going to be living in New York anymore does it matter though?

Take a good look at NY State laws regarding firearms. From the time I was a kid, you had to have a permit just to own a hand gun in the State of NY. The CCW laws are nothing like they are in the Commonwealth of Virginia. In NYC it gets even harder.

The poll doesn't make much sense to me, but it's your thread.

The point is that he is leaving NYC to move to NoVa

If you feel like avoiding the Glock arena (obviously they're a fine go-to pistol) then:

The FN pistols are great, the 509 is the newest model and I'm sure it is just as nice as the FNS 9 or 40. FNX if you want hammer-fired and a decocker.

The Sig P320's are alright too.... just don't drop them............

Are you looking for a carry gun, range gun, or both? If you have a new job and finances are agreeable, and you're anything like me, chances are you aren't only buying one firearm. :)

Are you looking for a carry gun, range gun, or both? If you have a new job and finances are agreeable, and you're anything like me, chances are you aren't only buying one firearm. :)
Pretty much just a range gun. I'm totally okay with Glocks, but the dizzying array of model numbers and calibers and options is hard to decipher. Like, what makes a G17 different than a G34 gen 4? What are the C models? etc.

Like I said, I haven't kept up with shooting in a while so I don't even know what's come out since, oh, about 2010. If there's any hot new stuff that I should be looking at, like the FN pistols you mentioned, or the Sig 320, I'm eager to hear about them.

Shotgun: M4 or Remington 870

@Salt USMC -
While I am happy with the selection of pistols and long guns that I have, a quality shotgun is missing from my inventory. You said:
I don't intend to do a lot of carrying so that's not a huge concern. One thing I'm looking at doing, however, is getting into competition shooting. Probably IDPA, or perhaps 3 gun.
With that info, I would recommend going with what @Marine0311 recommended and find a reasonably priced M4. Lots of uses; to include home defense, 3Gun, and maybe some bird hunting. It is absolutely the next gun I am stashing away cash to buy.

@Salt USMC -
While I am happy with the selection of pistols and long guns that I have, a quality shotgun is missing from my inventory. You said:

With that info, I would recommend going with what @Marine0311 recommended and find a reasonably priced M4. Lots of uses; to include home defense, 3Gun, and maybe some bird hunting. It is absolutely the next gun I am stashing away cash to buy.
I have an FN SLP, so I'm set with semi-auto shotguns.

Pretty much just a range gun. I'm totally okay with Glocks, but the dizzying array of model numbers and calibers and options is hard to decipher. Like, what makes a G17 different than a G34 gen 4? What are the C models? etc.

Like I said, I haven't kept up with shooting in a while so I don't even know what's come out since, oh, about 2010. If there's any hot new stuff that I should be looking at, like the FN pistols you mentioned, or the Sig 320, I'm eager to hear about them.

If you're looking to get into competitive shooting I highly recommend looking into USPSA, it is more focused on the fundamentals of shooting, speed, and power as opposed to IDPA which is more focused on mock "scenarios", which may sound fun at first but the rules are just weird to me and ruin the fun and practicality of a high paced shooting sport (your mileage may vary, this is just a personal opinion). The USPSA vs IDPA rivalry isn't dying anytime soon :)

BTW there is no difference between a G34 and a G17 other than a longer slide/barrel length on the G34, making it more practical for shooting sports like USPSA. YouTube is definitely your friend when it comes to firearms reviews, and then of course getting a hands on perspective at a gun shop once you're able to. If you're lucky enough to find a "try before you buy" gun range, do it up!

If you're looking to get into competitive shooting I highly recommend looking into USPSA, it is more focused on the fundamentals of shooting, speed, and power as opposed to IDPA which is more focused on mock "scenarios", which may sound fun at first but the rules are just weird to me and ruin the fun and practicality of a high paced shooting sport (your mileage may vary, this is just a personal opinion). The USPSA vs IDPA rivalry isn't dying anytime soon :)

BTW there is no difference between a G34 and a G17 other than a longer slide/barrel length on the G34, making it more practical for shooting sports like USPSA. YouTube is definitely your friend when it comes to firearms reviews, and then of course getting a hands on perspective at a gun shop once you're able to. If you're lucky enough to find a "try before you buy" gun range, do it up!

Incorrect. There are a number of differences between the 34 and 17. Aside from the barrel length, the 34 has a lightening cut on the slide. This plus the length changes the weight distribution and balance. The 34 has a factory installed extended slide stop lever, so you can actually use it as God intended. And let's not forget the 34's trigger is one pound lighter from the factory than the 17.

There are more, but suffice it to say there are noticeable differences.

Last edited:
Don't buy anything yet if you're thinking about shooting competitively. Take your 1911 to a match and give it a shot. There will be a ton of dudes willing to let you try their toys, if something tickles your fancy then buy one of those.

Or just buy a used Glock 17 or 34, if you decide to dump it you should be able to get your money back.

Back