Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Rifle (Specify)

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Shotgun (Specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honorable Katana

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
Take your 1911 to a match and give it a shot. There will be a ton of dudes willing to let you try their toys

This!

I've attended a number of different matches and I've always been shocked at how accommodating and generous the regulars are. I think they know the importance of welcoming new members into their sport.

Purely for competition in IDPA that will also allow you to run USPSA if you choose? Glock 34, hands down.

You've got several pistolas already. You've got a 1911, a Sig, and a couple revolvers...you're probably good on those for now. I'm not a striker-fire guy, so I see no need to jump out an get a Glock. You can do all kinds of stuff with what you currently have; try out USPSA, 3-gun, etc. I wouldn't spend any money here until you spend some time in events figuring out what you like/don't like with your current setup. Only exception would be if you wanted to get a micro-compact or something for personal carry.

The real question is what can you realistically use?

Shotguns are a ton fun, especially if you get into sporting clays. But you have a FN semi-auto already. Without knowing specifics about your FN, I'll say that you can probably use that to get started in clays and 3-gun. So, that probably doesn't need to be a priority either.

That leaves a rifle...obviously missing from the mix. ARs are fun. Do you have a place to shoot one? If so, this seems to be the no-brainer, especially if you want to 3-gun. But if precision shooting floats your boat, you can go that route as well. Consider building your own; Legos for big boys. Colt has some attractive packages that would be good to build from if you want to buy a completed rifle right off the shelf without breaking the bank but other manufacturers have decent packages as well.

Last edited:
Okay guys. It will be an AR.

@Blizzard is it especially difficult to build an AR? I'd be down with getting a regular lower, then mixing and matching upper parts. Unfortunately I don't really have any tools. Is that feasible?

I've been watching Jerry Miculek's videos and the style of his AR looks pretty rad. Obviously I wouldn't use the same optic, but it seems like you can get good 1-4x scopes for less than $500.

Okay guys. It will be an AR.

@Blizzard is it especially difficult to build an AR? I'd be down with getting a regular lower, then mixing and matching upper parts. Unfortunately I don't really have any tools. Is that feasible?

I've been watching Jerry Miculek's videos and the style of his AR looks pretty rad. Obviously I wouldn't use the same optic, but it seems like you can get good 1-4x scopes for less than $500.
They're not difficult to build and it's kind of fun. There are a ton of videos on line as well as us here to help out with questions.

That said, you will need some tools...or, even better, know someone that has some they can loan you (note: some gun clubs may even tools you can use). The nice thing is that you have options. You can start with a completed base model (so you can have some immediate satisfaction) and slowly build upon it as you determine what you want and funds allow or just go all in out of the gate and build from scratch.

You've got the right idea. As a general rule, I'd try to keep parts to a few manufacturers with the most important being to keep your upper, lower, and BCG from the same manufacturer, primarily for tolerances/fit and finish. Other than that, have at it. Also beware, it's an easy trap to look at someone's rifle and say, I want that! And you may indeed. But it may or may not be the best set up for you or your needs/style. And that's the beauty of building. You can make it yours. As I'm sure you know, when you start shopping optics, that's where you really start spending the cash. Don't be afraid to start with iron sites initially and work up as well. If you have access to Experticity (formerly Promotive), you can find some great pricing on optics from Vortex and others.

I'd start with a cruise through a site like Brownells. You can get an idea of pricing. Check out their configurator: www.ar15builder.com

Okay team: I had narrowed down my options considerably. The local shop had some very nice looking Daniel Defense ARs - one in the traditional 5.56 and another in 300blk. They're assembled and ready to go out the door for a reasonable price...

...and then I saw this

Short barreled, integrally-suppressed 5.56 upper. Supposedly the quietest around, very short, and only requiring one tax stamp. It looks awesome. Like, ridiculously awesome. Please convince me not to buy it, because so help me I will fill out that form 4 and plunk down that cash!

I don't know. Stamps are a pain in the ass (I don't know about the laws where you're at but are you going to create a trust, etc.) and so is the wait...

That said, there is no question that it's cool. But there are a lot of cool things out there (a downside of the whole AR sickness that you develop...there's all kinds of stuff I find myself wanting). It depends what floats your boat. What are your looking to do with your AR?

You can always suppress a 16"+ AR too and not deal with the rest of the bureaucracy. But if you go short and silenced, I'd go 300blk. If staying longer, I'd stick with 5.56. DD makes good rifles.

Remember...this is just your first one. You can get more later! :D

Last edited:
You can always suppress a 16"+ AR too and not deal with the rest of the bureaucracy. But if you go short and silenced, I'd go 300blk. If staying longer, I'd stick with 5.56. DD makes good rifles.

Remember...this is just your first one. You can get more later! :D

What are you talking about? With this particular upper, there is no other bureaucracy. One stamp—the silencer—and done. If he buys a standalone silencer for a 16.1” AR, it’s still one stamp. There’s no difference; he still needs one stamp.

As to 5.56 vs .300 AAC Blackout, mission drives the gear train. There’s a 3 decibel difference between the two, and neither is hearing safe without earpro so that’s not really a consideration.

What are you talking about? With this particular upper, there is no other bureaucracy. One stamp—the silencer—and done. If he buys a standalone silencer for a 16.1” AR, it’s still one stamp. There’s no difference; he still needs one stamp.
Agree. I just looked at his statement and the subsequent comment about short-barrel and suppressed. After checking out the link, I see it's a short-barrel with a welded suppressor. Personally, I don't know that I'm a fan of the welded approach just because it limits options, unless you're a big fan of everything Gemtech put together in that package. Everyone is different though and it depends on the intended use. Is a suppressor a must have? $1,900 isn't exactly inexpensive but if you're set on a silencer, a good one will cost you as well.

Last edited:
Looks like you've already made your decision, but lately I've been itching to build a AR pistol build (post ATF allowing you to shoulder a brace). Short Barrel Rifle and no hassle of the NFA. 8-);-)

Back