Difference between SARC and IDC?

Like a "big Navy IDC, or a SOIDC?"

A SARC is a Special Amphibious Recon corpsman, and not necessarily an IDC. Normally around the time they make first class they attend the SOIDC/ SFMS course. I do not know what regular Navy IDC's do, or what their training consists of.

Like a "big Navy IDC, or a SOIDC?"

A SARC is a Special Amphibious Recon corpsman, and not necessarily an IDC. Normally around the time they make first class they attend the SOIDC/ SFMS course. I do not know what regular Navy IDC's do, or what their training consists of.
I ask because I leave for basic in 12 days and I have a corpsman contract and I just found out about the SARC program from a friend of mine and I'm trying to find as much as possible on it, I know a SARC is combat trained and that's what I want to do but I saw on a wiki page that had the SARC pipeline the last school to attend was an independent duty corpsman school, I understand it's a wiki page but I want to be a SARC not an IDC

I ask because I leave for basic in 12 days and I have a corpsman contract and I just found out about the SARC program from a friend of mine and I'm trying to find as much as possible on it, I know a SARC is combat trained and that's what I want to do but I saw on a wiki page that had the SARC pipeline the last school to attend was an independent duty corpsman school, I understand it's a wiki page but I want to be a SARC not an IDC

Well to become a SARC the pipeline is very long. You have to attend basic training, corpsman "A" school, FMF training, Basic Reconassaince Course, Jump School, Dive School, and the Special Operations Combat Medic Course. You would then normally go to a recon unit, after successfully completing all of those things. After spending a few years at a Recon unit, you would likely attend the SOIDC course,again at Bragg.

I'm not sure you understand what an IDC does, if you want to be a corpsman, you will not be more well trained than an IDC. One of my best friends was a SARC and this is straight from him as to the pipeline.

I am not a SARC or IDC but knew a few IDC's when I was at Bragg when I had to do clinic time (82nd. Airborne Division requires the line medics to do clinic time at Division clinic for sick call / other education). I also know a dude that was an EMT with me years ago, He became a green side corpsman and when he rose in rank, made the decision to go IDC. From what he told me, IDC is similar to how a P.A. would act in regards to skill set, diagnostic procedures and would be used in certain area, "surface v/s submarine". If that answers some questions....

M.

Well to become a SARC the pipeline is very long. You have to attend basic training, corpsman "A" school, FMF training, Basic Reconassaince Course, Jump School, Dive School, and the Special Operations Combat Medic Course. You would then normally go to a recon unit, after successfully completing all of those things. After spending a few years at a Recon unit, you would likely attend the SOIDC course,again at Bragg.

I'm not sure you understand what an IDC does, if you want to be a corpsman, you will not be more well trained than an IDC. One of my best friends was a SARC and this is straight from him as to the pipeline.
So does an IDC still work with Recon ? Or is that more of a clinical based setting ? I really do not understand all this as I just found out about it and am learning it all

I am not a SARC or IDC but knew a few IDC's when I was at Bragg when I had to do clinic time (82nd. Airborne Division requires the line medics to do clinic time at Division clinic for sick call / other education). I also know a dude that was an EMT with me years ago, He became a green side corpsman and when he rose in rank, made the decision to go IDC. From what he told me, IDC is similar to how a P.A. would act in regards to skill set, diagnostic procedures and would be used in certain area, "surface v/s submarine". If that answers some questions....

M.
It does I appreciate it, but I want to go into fmf to be in combat and serve with the marine corps, I want to be a SARC because I want to be be best at what I do, I think I am slowly starting to understand what an IDC does I just don't want to be in a clinical setting I want to be out in the field, learning to shoot, practice battlefield medicine, so on so forth

So does an IDC still work with Recon ? Or is that more of a clinical based setting ? I really do not understand all this as I just found out about it and am learning it all
I've also read of SARCS going to demolitions, sniper, mountaineering and various other schools ? Can you shed light on this? This is the kinds of things I want todo

It does I appreciate it, but I want to go into fmf to be in combat and serve with the marine corps, I want to be a SARC because I want to be be best at what I do, I think I am slowly starting to understand what an IDC does I just don't want to be in a clinical setting I want to be out in the field, learning to shoot, practice battlefield medicine, so on so forth

To be honest, there is lots of info on the web in regards to IDC. I will also say, think about getting through boot camp and A school. Then you can start worrying about SARC. As TLDR said, it is a long pipeline and the drop rate is nuts. Just my thought...

M.

To be honest, there is lots of info on the web in regards to IDC. I will also say, think about getting through boot camp and A school. Then you can start worrying about SARC. As TLDR said, it is a long pipeline and the drop rate is nuts. Just my thought...

M.
Well thank you for the info

IDC stands for Independent Duty Corpsman and there are four types.

Special Operations IDC
Surface IDC
Sub IDC
Deep Dive IDC

A SARC will move on to become an SOIDC when he reaches the appropriate rank and/or experience level as part of becoming a more well rounded provider.

IDC stands for Independent Duty Corpsman and there are four types.

Special Operations IDC
Surface IDC
Sub IDC
Deep Dive IDC

A SARC will move on to become an SOIDC when he reaches the appropriate rank and/or experience level as part of becoming a more well rounded provider.
Is it required for a SARC to be an IDC? Does a SOIDC still get deployed into combat ? Or is it more of a clinical hospital setting or things of that nature

Last edited:
OK

SOIDC is the next step for SARCs. You ever play video games? It's like leveling up. If a SARC becomes an SOIDC he is still a SARC. It is just a continuation of training for SARCs. If you google it you'll see two classification numbers.

8427 FMF RECONNAISSANCE CORPSMAN (SARC)
8403 FMF RECONAISSANCE INDEPENDENT DUTY CORPSMAN (SOIDC/SARC)

OK

SOIDC is the next step for SARCs. You ever play video games? It's like leveling up. If a SARC becomes an SOIDC he is still a SARC. It is just a continuation of training for SARCs. If you google it you'll see two classification numbers.

Yeah good way to describe it.

http://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/_documents/arc.pdf

IDC Prerequisites

IDC applicants are E-5 through E-7 hospital Corpsman. It's a different pipeline and one you don't have to concern yourself with at the moment.

Get through bootcamp. Focus on that. Then focus on the next step. Take them as they come and kick their ass one at a time. You gotta climb the ladder, bro.
Thank you very much I'm just nervous for the transition into military life I'm only 18 years old but thank you you're very right

OK

Thank you

Back