Does the NSA have a contractor problem?

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
I'm reading today that the FBI has arrested yet another NSA contractor for releasing classified documents. This is the third one to release serious documents (for whatever reason) in the last few years.

So I pose this question: Does the NSA have a problem with the vetting of it's contractors? Is there a mindset problem with hiring contractors vis a vis, it's not their "workplace" so they don't care? We all know they should but the question remains...why is this continually happening there and not other places?

They definitely have a problem, so does the IC writ-large, and the federal government to a lesser extent. I'm not sure it's a matter of vetting more thoroughly - I don't think contractors as a group of people (certainly as individuals) are better or worse than their government counterparts - it's that they are overused, under-supervised, and poorly integrated. There is a fundamental structural problem - leaks are just one of the symptoms of the disease IMO.

There's got to be some personal motivation for an individual to leak secret material. Political or religious views, money, blackmail, some warped sense of public duty.

Nothing that a 7.62mm Nato to the back of the pumpkin won't cure. :D If only...

Last edited:
I was sort of waiting for some kid of resolution. After Ed Snowdon Bruce Schneier reported in his monthly brief there were two other leaks which Snowdon said he had nothing to do with. Soo, one more still in the wild.

Last edited:
There's so much wrong witht his story I wouldn't know where to begin. From the individual to the system on multiple levels....and we won't learn a goddamn thing from this episode.

There's so much wrong witht his story I wouldn't know where to begin. From the individual to the system on multiple levels....and we won't learn a goddamn thing from this episode.

Yup. This is almost the worst part. There will be some flavor of knee jerk reaction that will make life more difficult for the "worker bees" at NSA and other places, but legitimate steps to prevent this from happening will be deemed too difficult, expensive, etc. and business will continue as (relatively) usual until the next event. Wash, rinse, repeat. We suck at lessons learned.

Yup. This is almost the worst part. There will be some flavor of knee jerk reaction that will make life more difficult for the "worker bees" at NSA and other places, but legitimate steps to prevent this from happening will be deemed too difficult, expensive, etc. and business will continue as (relatively) usual until the next event. Wash, rinse, repeat. We suck at lessons learned.

Considering she was a worker bee, maybe the rest of the hive needs some pain.

Interesting she went to Meade instead of an aircrew slot, wonder if she thought she was the golden child and rules didn't apply (like for her entire life).

The problem with contracting at this point is everyone wants to do it, drives wages down, and lower wages bring a lower quality of employee.

We have a bunch of "one tour wonders" getting out and working for the same agency as a contractor, and (to be frank) most of them are still immature.

Congress treat contract workers like acquisitions projects, and you get a ton of set-asides, so companies get positions based on small/minority/female/veteran/disabled/ points vice do they know what they are doing.

The Air Force does a crappy job supervising contractors, hell they don't even vet new hires or look at the process.

Considering she was a worker bee, maybe the rest of the hive needs some pain.

Interesting she went to Meade instead of an aircrew slot, wonder if she thought she was the golden child and rules didn't apply (like for her entire life).

The problem with contracting at this point is everyone wants to do it, drives wages down, and lower wages bring a lower quality of employee.

We have a bunch of "one tour wonders" getting out and working for the same agency as a contractor, and (to be frank) most of them are still immature.

Congress treat contract workers like acquisitions projects, and you get a ton of set-asides, so companies get positions based on small/minority/female/veteran/disabled/ points vice do they know what they are doing.

The Air Force does a crappy job supervising contractors, hell they don't even vet new hires or look at the process.

The bolded about sums it up. If the DoD isn't going to implement some better quality control, this will happen again, in addition the other, lesser, problems that come with contractors. How many anecdotes have we seen from @AWP about contractor laziness, negligence, incompetence, etc? Information Assurance CBTs, Cyber Awareness Challenges, and OPSEC posters aren't going to cut it.

Unfortunately when I develop a solicitation that is SCA applicable, we have to put in wage determination tables. On top of that, almost every single company thinks the Government wants the lowest bidder. I have worked multiple requirements for shooting instructors and we want contractors to pay their employees more, but for multiple reasons we are prohibited 're saying that in a requirement. Want to make a big change in the way the Government does business? Write your congressmen and tell them to repeal the Competition in Contracting Act.

They definitely have a problem, so does the IC writ-large, and the federal government to a lesser extent. I'm not sure it's a matter of vetting more thoroughly - I don't think contractors as a group of people (certainly as individuals) are better or worse than their government counterparts - it's that they are overused, under-supervised, and poorly integrated. There is a fundamental structural problem - leaks are just one of the symptoms of the disease IMO.

Since this was brought back to life in regards to the Russian thing.. I have to give a hard disagree on @Il Duce on contractors not being better or worse than their government counterparts. I do agree that they are under-supervised and poorly integrated in some situations though. But this is exactly the reason why contractors are better.. Their government leads are actually the problem. You can't fire govies, but can only move them from team to team.

That's the system being broken. There is a whole feedback loop that if a contract is not being fulfilled through the SLAs, then there needs to be accountability. Accountability of the company and of COR. That's the problem right now. Look at the ISS-J vehicle. One of the worst situations out there and they can only get people to stay because of people not knowing their being taken advantage of, or they've drank the koolaid. At least they are getting good experience.

Last edited:
Since this was brought back to life in regards to the Russian thing.. I have to give a hard disagree on @Il Duce on contractors not being better or worse than their government counterparts. I do agree that they are under-supervised and poorly integrated in some situations though. But this is exactly the reason why contractors are better.. Their government leads are actually the problem. You can't fire govies, but can only move them from team to team.

Government employees cannot supervise contract employees, mostly. Under a personal services contract they can, but 99% of service contracts are non personal services contracts.

Back