Excercise Cold Response 09

Operator

Unverified
Tomorrow the biggest annual international joint winter excercise Cold Reponse starts off in the northern parts of Norway, where around 7000 (700 of these SOF personell) soldiers from 13 nations will participate.

Scenario

FICTIONAL COUNTRIES: Six fictional countries are established in Northern Europe: Badland, Eastland, Rohan, Northland, Southland and Midland. (Note Tolkien lol)

kart_b_380_260689a_118440a.gif

-At the end of the 1990s, oil is found outside Midland. This leads to a conflict between Midland and Northland. A number of ethnic Northlanders live in the area of the oil find, and hence Northland claims the right to the oil.

-The conflict escalates in 2008. Northland attacks Midland with great force and conquers large land and sea areas, among them those containing the oil.
The international community intervenes and the UN-force UNMIMA (United Nation Mission in Midland) is set up.

-The UN is successful at brokering a cease fire deal, and Northland withdraws from the internationally acknowledged boundaries.
When Northland has apparently withdrawn its forces, the vacuum is filled by an irregular military force called SNA/DFF.

-The UN Security Council requested NATO on 20th February 2009 to lead a multinational peace force to the conflict area.

7000 soldiers will take part in the continuing storyline from 16th March. Some will be in the multinational force, while others will be scenario actors.

In good old fashion the Russians are not happy with the excercise and claims it is a semi-agressive act towards their country, hosting a NATO excercise so close to their boarders.

"Unfortunately excercises like "Cold Response" deteroriates a possible international Arctic cooperation and environmental exploitation of resources. NATO is deciding to host an excercise that increase chances for armed conflict rather than focusing on peaceful cooperation."

Earlier excercises:

350px-Operation_Cold_Winter_1987_No.jpg

Cold Winter 1987 (Allied Command Europe Mobile Force)

poso.jpg

Strong Resolve 1998

image.jpg

Joint Winter 2003

960x-1.jpg

Cold Response 2008

Personally im travelling up thursday, really looking forward to this one.
Any members here know someone whos gonna attend?

Fucking Brrrrr!

That doesn't look like a good time to me!

I only exercised in real snow once, don't see the need to ever do it again. :p

Vehicle cam has gotten worse I see...

Attachments

• tiger-tank-27.jpg
    tiger-tank-27.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 35
  • tiger-tank-13.jpg
    tiger-tank-13.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 34
A good exercise over for my part.

Some more pics:

Norwegian F-16 and Swedish JAS Gripen