FOOD THREAD 1

You did not send any to me... yes, I am hurt... jealous, notsomuch.

Sorry, they ate it all. :D

Here youse guys go... I don't normally measure as I go, but wanted to for this one. You can tweak spices to taste of course.

1 pound beef round steak, trimmed cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 lb chorizo removed from casing or 1 small tube
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 hatch peppers, diced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/4 cup beef stock
1 bottle Sam Adams stout
1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
Several (7-8) sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil), julienned
2-3 bay leaves
1 can each black beans, pinto beans, red beans
fresh cilantro
Fresh lime juice

In heavy bottom pan add some canola oil and brown meats in batches, set aside. Drain off if there is a lot of excess oil but save some. I did the chorizo last then added the onions.

In same oil cook onion until soft. Add garlic and dried spices and cook out couple minutes, add tomato paste cook another minute or two.

Deglaze pan with beer and scrape browned bits off bottom of pan. Add meats and the rest of the ingredients except cilantro and lime juice back into pot. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer cook for 2 hours.

Add cilantro and fresh lime juice to taste, serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
No pics because I was fookin hungry, but the reign of Sriracha terror continues:

Soaked some chicken legs in beer for an hour, then grilled them with a honey, Sriracha and lime glaze.

Rak....

If you like Sriracha, you'll love my:

Hotter than Asian Hell Wings....:blkeye:

5lbs wings and drummettes
4 tbspn salt (cover wings in salt 12 hours before to dry them out for crisp not soggie skinage)
6 tbspn rooster sauce
3 tbspn honey
4 tbspn butter (more the gooder)
2 tbspn soy sauce
3-4 tbspn cilantro

Fry like normal (8 min 275 to cook/ 2 min 375 to crisp), mix goodies, toss wings in sauce once done, put out fire with beer....:thumbsup:

I'm no mathmologist, but when you mix Sriracha and soy sauce you get MAGIC!

Rak....

If you like Sriracha, you'll love my:

Hotter than Asian Hell Wings....:blkeye:

5lbs wings and drummettes
4 tbspn salt (cover wings in salt 12 hours before to dry them out for crisp not soggie skinage)
6 tbspn rooster sauce
3 tbspn honey
4 tbspn butter (more the gooder)
2 tbspn soy sauce
3-4 tbspn cilantro

Fry like normal (8 min 275 to cook/ 2 min 375 to crisp), mix goodies, toss wings in sauce once done, put out fire with beer....:thumbsup:

:D Swap the cilantro for lime juice, and that's the exact recipe I used for the glaze.

I also brushed on a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter to help brown and crisp the legs before hitting them with the glaze. Good stuff.

Was supposed to be a bachelor for most of Sunday so I made the appropriate menu adjustments... steak with a side of steak.

2013-11-11_1434_zps9867689c.png

You know I can be there in about two hours, right? ;-)

Next time we have a get together, we'll do it at my house and I'll do up either a brisket or a pork shoulder and some fixins - it'll be cheaper and mo' betta than that high falutin' Brazilian joint; you'll just have to drive a bit further.

Next time we have a get together, we'll do it at my house and I'll do up either a brisket or a pork shoulder and some fixins - it'll be cheaper and mo' betta than that high falutin' Brazilian joint; you'll just have to drive a bit further.

Don't bother me none. I was driving back to Mobile almost every weekend when I was at EOD school.

I fail in the company of these "TRUE COOKS" but I use CAJUN Injector....

The BIG 3......Horse needle, Turkey Rub and Inject goo.....:thumbsup::ROFLMAO:

I failed to jot down the ingredients my brother used growing up for his Fried Turkeys..
All I can remember is:
Quaker state 10w-40
Gun powder
Beer
Italian Dressing
Blood of wolf (or neighbors dog in a pinch)

The rest is fuzzy at best and really is what brought all these ingredients together....
I tried this once but the turkey ended up tasting like burning barrel of trash....:-o:ack::blkeye:

Turkey rubs. What does everyone use? (And I know x SF med must have like 12.)

a little melted butter or olive oil (butter tastes and bastes better).... sage, sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, marjoram, thyme... wash dry and then rub turkey with dry mixture, any remaining goes into the melted butter, then allow to sit for about 20 minutes, use the melted butter to glaze the turkey and toss it in the oven, in 30 minutes use the butter mixture to baste and also baste with the baked off goodness of the drippings.... and remember always use a v-rack to start, and breast down for the first 1/2 of the cooking time, and the last 1/4 of the cooking time (or any time after turning that the breast has that golden color) tent the breast with aluminum foil so it does not over cook and dry out. 165* is the minimum done temp, and allow to sit for at least a 1/3 hour before carving.

Did I go too far?

last night's dredged and baked pork country ribs turned out nicely...

Back