Fresh roasted coffee, gear advice, etc

I am a big fan of Costa Rica - but not as familiar with the Brazil -
Up for the Brazil if you can roast a little darker? Otherwise just give a head's up when Costa Rica is ready.

@poison - Coffee Geek question of the morning - is there a difference between a CBC and tablespoon? Being a former "chain coffee" district manager I still have a lot of my old toys remaining - was going thru a cupping kit last night and found a CBC measuring spoon that we used to use for french pressing.

Is it:

5 CBC whole bean or 5 table spoons ground for french press?

Last edited by a moderator:
@poison - Coffee Geek question of the morning - is there a difference between a CBC and tablespoon? Being a former "chain coffee" district manager I still have a lot of my old toys remaining - was going thru a cupping kit last night and found a CBC measuring spoon that we used to use for french pressing.

Is it:

5 CBC whole bean or 5 table spoons ground for french press?

You got me there: I don't know what a CBC spoon is. Measuring tablespoons and eating tablespoons are completely different, of course. In general, it doesn't matter what spoon you use, just be sure you use the same spoon, and adjust to taste.

I am a big fan of Costa Rica - but not as familiar with the Brazil -
Up for the Brazil if you can roast a little darker? Otherwise just give a head's up when Costa Rica is ready.

Costa Rica is ready to go!

Costa Rica Chirripo Finca Jose

The Costa Rica is BADASS. As drip, it's all sweet, tangy blackberries. I just started adding it to my espresso blend, and the blackberry notes come through big, like blackberry preserves.

I'm waiting for this, freaking awesome concept.

Dude.

West Coast Roasting Hand-Roasted-to-Order Coffee

DUDE. This is huge for me!

New Tanzania is up!

Tanzania Kanji Lalji Farm Peaberry

Brown sugar through and through, with baked stone-fruit notes, pie spice, and even sweet black tea and mild citrus notes. It's heavy bodied, which when coupled with the stewed fruit notes, brings canned fruit syrup to mind.

Cupping my first production roast of the Tanz. Full of caramelized sugar notes, it's really sweet, nice peach notes, some citrus top end, but some good dark chocolate notes at this medium roast level as well. The body is thick. This is killer for French Press!

Don't forget, the coupon is 25% off for a bit!

Donation from Blend 55 proceeds made to the Mercy Centre!

- Mercy Centre

New Tanzania is up!

Brown sugar through and through, with baked stone-fruit notes, pie spice, and even sweet black tea and mild citrus notes. It's heavy bodied, which when coupled with the stewed fruit notes, brings canned fruit syrup to mind.

This is good news! Peaberry is a very special bean (about 5% of beans become Peaberry's) and offer a more evenly roasted bean because of their shape.

Placing my order now.

Thanks, roasting right now! You'll love this stuff, it's SO good. Awesome as french press.

Roasting now, shipping tomorrow!

New Tanzania is up!

Guys, seriously. If you have been waiting to try a great coffee from @poison , you will not go wrong with a Peaberry - very rare bean.

It sure is! And this one is mouthwateringly good, seriously full bodied and balanced, very sweet!

It's also almost gone, people have been ordering 4-5lbs at a time. I'm trying to scrape some cash together to buy another bag.

Thanks lindy! I'll be shipping after the holiday weekend so it doesn't sit in transit getting stale!

Coffee roasted this evening, shipping in the morning! More Tanzania on the way, and a new Sumatra Mutu Batak, should arrive this week!

Hey, @poison , I was putzing around online, and found your fine establishment on Yelp. It's showing the Lincoln Blvd address in Venice, but it says you're closed. Not just for the night, not "store closed, but online is still kicking," but straight up closed for good. You might want to look into rectifying this little issue, as that might help bring in some more business when people see that West Coast Roasting is alive and well. The reviews that are on there speak highly of your product, and I know that a lot of people use Yelp to decide on who they're going to patronize.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up. I figure since you're the business owner, you ought to be able to fix it. Not sure anyone would believe a ginger bomb jockey from the Gulf Coast saying "Hey, y'all! He's still there! I promise!"

Hey, @poison , I was putzing around online, and found your fine establishment on Yelp. It's showing the Lincoln Blvd address in Venice, but it says you're closed. Not just for the night, not "store closed, but online is still kicking," but straight up closed for good. You might want to look into rectifying this little issue, as that might help bring in some more business when people see that West Coast Roasting is alive and well. The reviews that are on there speak highly of your product, and I know that a lot of people use Yelp to decide on who they're going to patronize.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up. I figure since you're the business owner, you ought to be able to fix it. Not sure anyone would believe a ginger bomb jockey from the Gulf Coast saying "Hey, y'all! He's still there! I promise!"

the key points of truth are bolded.

Lol, ginger bomb jockey !

New bag of Tanz is arriving today, new Sumatra today or tomorrow!

Look what was waiting for me at the shop?

2mn12qg.jpg

:banana: Sumatra is up and ready to go! Nice bag!

1z5ntbo.jpg

Okay, you and french pressing are becoming an expensive habit, but now that I've found the perfect number of Tbl Spoons for a french press I cannot get enough!

I don't see them on your site so I'll just ask, any more of the Ethiopian Yurgochef (sic) or a Papua New Guinea?

No Ethiopia at this time, but i want to pick some up soon. The Tanz is my African for now. I don't have Papua New Guinea, but the new Sumatra is a GREAT Indonesian!

I always hesitate with Sumatra - most times it reminds me of drinking a field of dry grass.

Sumatra is usually pretty earthy, but I don't generally choose those. I buy very high quality lots that are carefully processed, and generaly have a far cleaner than average profile. This Mutu Batak....I obliterated the sample is a few days, it's just insane as espresso, with really killer sweet acidity (something Sumatras aren't known for). It's balanced, like a good Guat, almost!

Cupping my first production roast of the Tanz. Full of caramelized sugar notes, it's really sweet, nice peach notes, some citrus top end, but some good dark chocolate notes at this medium roast level as well. The body is thick. This is killer for French Press!

I seriously JUST got home and saw the package on the counter. Turned on the Kuerig (for water), ground the beans, and threw it into the French Press.

Half-cup down and hooked! The wife even commented that it's better than 100% Kona because zero bitterness and after taste. Great buy! We will DEFINITELY be repeat customers.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! This online sales thing isn't easy. If I can out a cup in someone's hand, they'll buy, but that's not how this works, so feedback is cool.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! This online sales thing isn't easy. If I can out a cup in someone's hand, they'll buy, but that's not how this works, so feedback is cool.

I wish I could afford more right now... but alas, I cannot and will have to dream of the Tanzanian... sometimes I hate you, a little.

Ha! My plan is just that! Take in into work and hopefully push some business your way.

Back