Fresh roasted coffee, gear advice, etc

I love my electric kettle. It boils water quicker and is quieter. I plan on getting one like that in the future, I just have a basic fill and plug in one.

Damn it @poison ! And curse you Amazon and your "1 Click" purchase!

I know. When you crawl out of bed 5 minutes later, and have your FP brewing 30 seconds later, remember who brought you to that place. :D

We should ban you....:hmm::hmm:
You are costing all of us money, bastige.

The wallet-draining presence of poison vs kick ass coffee and gadgets. Hmmm.....

I love my electric kettle. It boils water quicker and is quieter. I plan on getting one like that in the future, I just have a basic fill and plug in one.

Electric kettles are great, but you should still use a thermometer to check pour temp. The water urns, like the one linked above, generally have 3 temp set points. Something between 200-208 is ideal for brewing (you'll lose a few degrees when you pour it over). I have two 1 gallon models I used at the farmers market booth back when I did that. They're badass, especially if you drink single cups throughout the day.

This is deserving of its own post, so grab your wallet and a chair, and bear with me:

Gimmie A Pour Over Coffee, Please

This is cream of the crop stuff. The variable temp electric kettle kicks ass, with adjustable temp from 140-212 in 1 degree increments:

Bonavita 1.7L Variable Temp Kettle - $49.99 + $5 standard shipping

If you want a drip machine, these are top tier, SCAA approved, tip of the spear drip machines at good prices:

Bonavita 8-cup Stainless Steel Carafe - $139.99 + $5 standard shipping

Bonavita 5-cup Stainless Steel Carafe - $89.99 + $5 standard shipping

Bonavita makes GREAT stuff. If you need it, buy it, you won't regret it, and ask me if you have questions. I'm gonna go hide from your wives and accountants now.

season-4-jersey-shore-gif-snooki-throwing-stuff-at-mike.gif

Is that supposed to be scary?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there are other kick ass coffees around. I think there's one in CA. There's a West Coast Coffee company here in socal. Too bad, I had it first, i'll deal with em if they start getting in my way.

You ever hear about Double Shot Coffee in CO? Starbucks tried really hard to sue them out of business (and that's a LOT of weight), but they won, and profited off all the publicity.

I have mixed feelings about Kona. I usually have Kona around Christmastime, because people enjoy it for gifting purposes. The stuff I get is organic, grown by a husband and wife on 5 acres, they do everything themselves. But I sell it for $35-40/lb, which is cheap for Kona of this caliber, but expensive, when you could buy the #1 or #2 coffee from any central or south american country for less.

Speaking of which, there's a very unusual coffee varietal called Gesha. It's Ethiopian, grown in Latin America, and a certain Panama Gesha could be called the best coffee in the world (as subjective as that is). It gets rave reviews, and goes for $300/lb or so. Gesha is grown in a few other places, like Guatemala, and I can get my hands on a Guatemala Gesha that's simply FANTASTIC, and it's around $40/lb. If enough of you are interested in trying something like this, I could make it happen, but it would have to be a preorder situation. It costs more green than any of my current coffees roasted. ;)

Tasting notes on it are: Intense florals, jasmine, orange blossom, kaffir lime, Assam tea, honey, juicy body, clean finish. Much, much more is revealed in the cooling cup - tropical fruit flavors, punchy top notes, and various herbal and black tea flavors. This Gesha has surprisingly juicy body, and finishes beautifully with notes of Assam tea and even a light dusting of cocoa powder in roasts beyond City+.

I have mixed feelings about Kona. I usually have Kona around Christmastime, because people enjoy it for gifting purposes. The stuff I get is organic, grown by a husband and wife on 5 acres, they do everything themselves. But I sell it for $35-40/lb, which is cheap for Kona of this caliber, but expensive, when you could buy the #1 or #2 coffee from any central or south american country for less.

Speaking of which, there's a very unusual coffee varietal called Gesha. It's Ethiopian, grown in Latin America, and a certain Panama Gesha could be called the best coffee in the world (as subjective as that is). It gets rave reviews, and goes for $300/lb or so. Gesha is grown in a few other places, like Guatemala, and I can get my hands on a Guatemala Gesha that's simply FANTASTIC, and it's around $40/lb. If enough of you are interested in trying something like this, I could make it happen, but it would have to be a preorder situation. It costs more green than any of my current coffees roasted. ;)

Tasting notes on it are: Intense florals, jasmine, orange blossom, kaffir lime, Assam tea, honey, juicy body, clean finish. Much, much more is revealed in the cooling cup - tropical fruit flavors, punchy top notes, and various herbal and black tea flavors. This Gesha has surprisingly juicy body, and finishes beautifully with notes of Assam tea and even a light dusting of cocoa powder in roasts beyond City+.

I'd go for a preorder on that if anyone wants to join in.

There's a West Coast Coffee company here in socal. Too bad, I had it first, i'll deal with em if they start getting in my way.
If there is anything I learned from paper I wrote on McDonald's, don't wait too long. Your knowing about their existence, and accepting it for now, gives them leverage in a fight.

Found my new favorite brew... Hammerland by El Segundo Brewery. Amazing!!!!

Huh, I've actually never tried any of their beer. Guess I will now! BTW, Trader JOe's has GReen Flash West Coast IPA for $7.99/4 pack. That's a steal! Like sipping a pine forest....

Well, I sold my old bbq roaster yesterday, the one I used for the first 9 years. :( It went to a long time customer, so it's in the family, at least.

Right? I love it. It's foresty, like pine and redwood notes. It's almost gone, only 2-3lbs left, so I have to pick up something else.

New Costa Rica on the way! "The dry fragrance shows spiced fruit and with brooding dark-sugar sweetness, our City and Full City roasts smelling so attractive. The wet aroma smells fruit-forward, berry jams and fruited syrups, a resonant maple-sugar sweetness on the break. "

New Costa Rica on the way! "The dry fragrance shows spiced fruit and with brooding dark-sugar sweetness, our City and Full City roasts smelling so attractive. The wet aroma smells fruit-forward, berry jams and fruited syrups, a resonant maple-sugar sweetness on the break. "

Is it the Tarrazu? I may have to break down if it is....

I haven't cupped them side by side , but it's probably better.

I just added a new coffee which arrived today! ...mulling spice, stewed fruit, and sorghum is stunning, and it impresses no less in the cup, where the fruit notes are accentuated, with dark berry preserves, fruit syrup, and maple notes...

@poison -

Looking for something new to order -

Prefer darker roasts
Dark Chocolate notes
Peanuts

HATE anything Sumatra (They all taste like stale grass)

Last edited:
Hmm, I just took the Brazil down, but I have plenty. When roasted darker, it fits the bill. The Costa Rica I just got might as well, it gets very chocolatey as the roast progresses.

Back