Fresh roasted coffee, gear advice, etc

Well, I don't do French roast, because it's burnt, and 1lb is my minimum. I can dark roast some Blend 55 for you, I think it would make you happy!

Admin approved.

I'm a nano-roaster in Los Angeles. I buy the best coffees in the world, roast them in 6lb batches or less to order, and send them out by usps priority mail.

If you have questions on brewing, gear, which machine or gender to buy, I can answer and save you a lot of time, money, and hassle. I don't sell gear, so don't think I'm trying to make a sale on that. Ask away!

For the next month, coupon code ShadowSpear gives you 20 percent off all coffees.

www.westcoastroasting.com
www.facebook.com/westcoastroasting

Give me you opinion on some GOOD electric percolators. I like my Java full tilt.

I'll be totally honest percolators are one of the brew methods I have almost no experience with. I know Faberware makes the classic one.

Well, I don't do French roast, because it's burnt, and 1lb is my minimum. I can dark roast some Blend 55 for you, I think it would make you happy!

Please enlighten us on the levels of roasting.... from what I know, dark roasting is actually a shorter roast than medium or light, it has to do with the evaporation of oils from the beans, is this correct?

Darker roasts can be from increased roast time, or roast temp. I can do a shorter darker roast (which can mean there isn't enough time in the development phases), and I could also do a much longer light roast (which can result in baking, very undesirable). In general, a dark roast will be longer than a light roast of the same coffee. Dark roasts generally bring out the oils in the coffee, the darker you go, the more oily they will look, with a French roast looking almost wet.

Roast levels are usually described, in order of lightest to darkest: city, city+, full city, full city+, Vienna, French (or some variation thereof). There are two major markers in roasting, 1st crack and 2nd crack. First crack would correspond to a cinnamon or city roast, inedible at the start of first crack but becoming edible toward the end (even if it's going to be way bright and sour), then there's a lull before 2nd crack starts, which would be a full city+, and french is way deep into 2nd crack, or after. If you see a french roast in progress, and smell it, you'll understand why I avoid it: it's burnt, just billowing smoke and acrid notes. Most of my roasts are between the tail end of first (for a good Ethiopia, lets say), to the start of 2nd (for the Blend 55). But I can play all kinds of games with temps, times, and airflow (using more or less conductive or convective heat), and heavily manipulate the outcome.

Gotcha. I can do that.

I actually love it, but it's just a bit too bright... bringing up the earthiness will take the brightness into a hint of sweetness while leaving the bright finish. We'll get to perfect Troll roast if we discuss it a little more.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's not like I know what I am looking for or anything.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::wall::wall::wall::rolleyes:

How are you brewing, and what's the water temp?

Drip, espresso/Turkish grind. double filtered (unbleached bamboo inside gold) about 200*-203* at last check... not my good coffee pot, due to current living situation (and the fact single cup brewing is not an option for me, I drink at least a pot of coffee a day due to my schedule and since it's mostly at night, a tea pot whistling is out of the question)

Try 205, then 208, if you have the chance to brew a cup by itself. In general, heat tones down the acidity (flavor), cooler temps promote it.

I just got back from 3 days chaperoning my daughters school camping trip, good fun. New coffee was here waiting for me:

http://www.westcoastroasting.com/java-gunung-wayang/

6Bg3oA7.jpg

I really need to rethink my coffee names, that's so much more descriptive!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I said I'd leave the discount at 25% through today. It hasn't been used that much, so how about another 2 weeks to give more folks time to try it? :)

I'm quite happy with the Colombian. I brew it strong for the initial pot of coffee to get me out of bed, and it definitely does the job. The Java has a delicious, mellow flavor that makes it good for mid-day consumption.

Also, the customer service is flippin' awesome. My first order got hung up at the USPS processing center in Tampa for some reason, and @poison had a replacement order roasted and shipped the very next day. For those of you who are so inclined, the product is well worth your time. I'd suggest taking advantage of the discount while he's still offering it. You won't be disappointed.

Back