Hell and Back - Special Ops Ranger

Absolutely. I can't believe the day is finally here. VERY proud.
And now the hard part begins??!!! Holy crap, I don't know how much more I can take. Haha.
Gratitude to those who serve(d).

Yeah...they dumbed down this class for the cameras, that much is obvious from those numbers. Very dissapointing that they made compromises in the presence of the cameras. My brother was two classes before the filming of this one, and they had a graduation rate of 24%...and that wasn't including all the guys who quit in pre-rasp.
I heard that they would bring the cameras out & setup, then the guys knew they were about to get smoked & the cadre would show up. Thenit would go back to normal(?) maybe the norm wasn't really the 'norm'? How does 110 of 160 compare to the norm? Or 200 if you count pre-rasp?

The problem with RIP/RASP is that there is too much of a discrepency between cold/hot classes.
Cole Range for me was a miserable experience as it was in February in high 30 degree weather with nonstop rain on all the days there. The elements drove so many people to quit. I wonder what would have drove the people to quit if it was a spring or fall class?

The problem with RIP/RASP is that there is too much of a discrepency between cold/hot classes.
Cole Range for me was a miserable experience as it was in February in high 30 degree weather with nonstop rain on all the days there. The elements drove so many people to quit. I wonder what would have drove the people to quit if it was a spring or fall class?
Is there a lot of heat casualties in the summer months?

I have no idea. i doubt it - being a heat casualty sticks with you for life and prohibits you from going through specific training in the future.
It's serious business. Guys might get hot and pass out or whatever, but if heat exhaustion or heat stroke went on during RIP in the summer then RIP would have been completely overhauled.

We had two guys go down with heat exhaustion on the road march when I was in RIP. It should also be noted that their is a big difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke. I don't think it is common place in RASP, as I know they put a lot of effort into keeping it from happening, but I have to assume that given the rigorous nature of RASP and the heat of Ft. Benning, that it probably happens every now and again- just as it does in battalion or any other unit in the army.

I went through Aug-Sept. We had one guy go down with heat stroke in our 6 mile road march. He was going to get chaptered out of the Army from what the cadre told us. We still only graduated a little over a 1/3 of the class.

We had two guys go down with heat exhaustion on the road march when I was in RIP. It should also be noted that their is a big difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke. I don't think it is common place in RASP, as I know they put a lot of effort into keeping it from happening, but I have to assume that given the rigorous nature of RASP and the heat of Ft. Benning, that it probably happens every now and again- just as it does in battalion or any other unit in the army.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't area of the major difference between exhaustion and stroke, learn something new everyday. Ive always done better in cold weather as apposed to hot and its been difficult running during this heat wave.

2/1 when I was at Pendleton had multiple guys go down during a march in the middle of a unseasonable warm spring day. I was on regimental officer of the day duty at the time and went into their BAS nearby, looked like a damn IED had gone off. Guys laying all over the place, a Navy Corpsman with a sprained ankle, two guys stripped with ice packs on their bodies, and one guy being taken away with ambulance from heat stroke (turned out later he had kidney damage). Heat stroke is no joke and is a career killer and a major health concern when working in the military (unless your a bastard lucky enough to live in a temperate climate year round).

Yeah...they dumbed down this class for the cameras, that much is obvious from those numbers. Very dissapointing that they made compromises in the presence of the cameras. My brother was two classes before the filming of this one, and they had a graduation rate of 24%...and that wasn't including all the guys who quit in pre-rasp.

This is not true. My buddy who was NCOIC of RASP at the time attests that the course was not churched up for the camera. The low attrition rates are now more common due to a more vigorous weeding out process that occurs throughout basic, airborne school, and pre-RASP, with ranger liasons at each stage rather than at the end of airborne as we knew it. It's not so much that they're letting everyone in as much as the fact that the right people are attending. Most of the drop outs are due to medical reasons or failing an event than from quitting.

Back