Horsemen Training Program

F.CASTLE

Verified Military
So I double checked to make sure this hasn't already been posted elsewhere, if I missed it, Mods please delete...

So one of my fellow Marines and I got picked up to join 19th Groups training detachment recently:D (Im waiting for a medical clearance stillO_o) Somewhere along the way one the the guys there sent him this training plan and I figured it would make for an interesting post.

Its called the "Horsemen Training Program", and was designed by some Team Guys (Not sure if that means ODA or SEAL Team). Hopefully someone here can expand on that. I would venture to say that it was ODA rather than SEALs as it lacks any swimming, however there is also very limited rucking listed in the version I have.

The program is basically a conglomeration of Military Athlete, Gym Jones and Crossfit. Also interesting to note, is that is based on cycling, rather than randomization. (Strength, Power Endurance, Job Specific and Maintenance)

The format is basically plug and play one of the MANY workouts listed according to their programming, thus giving it some randomization. Its fairly well put together and the programming they chose to use helps them add strength without losing any endurance. I feel like although Military Athlete is a great program, it lack any solid interval training.

The stated goals for designing the program rare:

"Our goals specifically in making this program are to be able to DL 2.5x, Front Squat 1.5x, Bench 1.5x, Military Press 1x our BW and still be the cardio shape to run 3 miles easily in under 20:00. Also, we will have a score of at least 200 on the SSST. Whatever your individual goals are just tweak this program towards them in order to achieve them within 4 months."

Hopefully some BTDTs have some background information on this program, as well as opinions. I'm fairly certain if they saw the actually program and "packaging" they'd know who designed it. I can email if interested as long as its kosher with everyone here.

S/F,
F. Castle

It seems like a pretty solid program...

I re read the intro and since they mention Team guys living in Va Beach I'd assume this was SEAL made.... however there is almost NO swimming in it so who knows

It was in "pages" and I can't open it on my windows laptop. I'll take a look at it on my wife's Mac in a few days when I get home.

It seems like a pretty solid program...

I re read the intro and since they mention Team guys living in Va Beach I'd assume this was SEAL made.... however there is almost NO swimming in it so who knows

SEALs do more than just swim.

SEALs do more than just swim.

Of course they do, there are limited Maritime ops in AFG no doubt, however it is THEIR domain. I just assumed they would want to keep their ability to move like sharks in the water sharp. Perhaps its just my opinion, but swimming is a somewhat perishable skill, just like Land Nav. Sure you can do it well enough, but without constant practice you can never do it great. (Unless you're one of those Freaks, you know the guys Im talking about.)

It was in "pages" and I can't open it on my windows laptop. I'll take a look at it on my wife's Mac in a few days when I get home.

No sweat Sir.

Did a few of these workouts this week, was nice to switch up from CF and some MA workouts I cycle.

As for the swimming, just a thought, when i was playing hockey at a very competitive level we would have a booklet containing lifts and dryland workouts. Nothing on skating or other cardio, it was supplemental to the main body of work. There was an expectation that each player would be accountable for his excess conditioning. If you became weak and slow, you risked your spot on the team. People knew how hard they worked during practice and games, and if you didn't play a lot or skate too hard, a lot of guys would get on a bike after the game.

My question would be why a SEAL would put swimming in a workout guide for their peers if everyone already knew what was required.

F. Castle,

Could you send me that PDF? If it is the same one as I have seen before it is ODA guys that did it.

F. Castle,

Could you send me that PDF? If it is the same one as I have seen before it is ODA guys that did it.

That's a No Go. Please post an introduction in the required forum before posting again.

Thank you.

Just breezed by that intro post. See the errors in my way. Problem solved.

The program was invented by SEALs on the East Coast. I have followed this program a few times mixed with BJJ, and it freaking sucks. Some of the warm-ups would be considered full workouts by some people!!!

Back