Israel and Iran

Paywall, I'm not paywall savy but want to read.

I’m your huckleberry…

By the eve of World War II, the International Committee of the Red Cross had reshaped the landscape of humanitarianism. Founded in 1863 by Henry Dunant, a Swiss businessman appalled by the carnage he saw on an Italian battlefield, the organization had made itself the central player in the modern law of war. Having organized the conference that drew up the original Geneva Conventions, the ICRC was formally empowered to tend to wounded, sick and imprisoned soldiers and to ensure that they were humanely treated rather than left for dead. The ICRC had given rise to Red Cross organizations around the world, including in the United States, and had begun attending to disasters, natural and manmade.

But what began as an organization meant to curb the barbarity of warfare has found it difficult to live down its most grievous mistake: cozying up to the Third Reich, remaining silent about the Holocaust and later helping Nazis escape justice. In his last book, “Nazis on the Run: How Hitler’s Henchmen Fled Justice” (2011), historian Gerald Steinacher chronicled one aspect of this shameful era. His newest effort, “Humanitarians at War: The Red Cross in the Shadow of the Holocaust,” synthesizes what he and other historians have learned about the ICRC’s conduct during this troublesome period before adding new material on what the organization did next. This more comprehensive account of the ICRC’s actions equips the reader to decide whether the organization truly recovered from its wartime and postwar errors.

Much of “Humanitarians at War” re-treads the ICRC’s missteps in those dark years, rightly laying most of the blame on Switzerland’s Carl Jacob Burckhardt. With the ICRC’s moralistic Christian president, Max Huber, elderly and often ill during the 1930s, it was Burckhardt, his second in command, who made major decisions regarding relations with Adolf Hitler’s government. A diplomat and known careerist, Burckhardt harbored a traditional anti-Semitism and such hatred of communism that he regarded German Nazism as a bulwark of civilization and a necessary evil. As early as April 1933, the ICRC was receiving desperate letters from inmates of German concentration camps, including one from Dachau pleading: “‘I beg you again in the name of the prisoners—Help! Help!’” Yet as Mr. Steinacher writes, during this period Burckhardt was given an inspection tour “and officially lauded the commandant of Dachau for his discipline and decency.”

It wasn’t just willfully repeating the Germans’ propaganda that stained the ICRC. Nor was it only the fact that, knowing the Nazis had confirmed their policy of mass extermination of the Jews at the 1942 Wannsee Conference, the ICRC did nothing to intervene. What was more difficult to defend was Burckhardt’s sympathies with and efforts on behalf of Nazi actors after Germany’s defeat. He opposed the Nuremberg trials, labeling them “Jewish revenge.” Red Cross officials attempted to whitewash the record of Nuremberg defendant and high-ranking Nazi diplomat Ernst von Weizsäcker. After the Holocaust, the ICRC—by then helmed by Burckhardt—even abetted the flight of Nazis such as Adolf Eichmann and Josef Mengele by providing them with travel papers.

Complicating matters was the close tie between the ICRC and the Swiss government. Switzerland’s conduct during the war drew unfavorable comparisons with that of the Swedes, whose wartime record, while hardly “clean,” nonetheless led their country to be labeled the “good” neutral in contrast with “bad” Switzerland. This fueled a postwar Swedish attempt to take over Switzerland’s longtime custodianship of the laws of war, upon which Mr. Steinacher dwells at length. Strikingly, Switzerland’s unfortunate wartime conduct was not the primary rationale for a Swedish takeover: It was essentially a turf war. Sweden lost because the champion of its effort, Count Folke Bernadotte, was assassinated in 1948 while serving as a United Nations mediator in Jerusalem.

The denouement of “Humanitarians at War” focuses on the ICRC’s work to create the new Geneva Conventions of 1949, which endure as the main treaties governing the conduct of war. Given their sterling reputation to this day, especially since they provided formal protections for civilians, Mr. Steinacher is willing to conclude that the results of the lawmaking have been “overwhelmingly positive.” For this reason, the ICRC seems largely redeemed by the end of the book, and the tale has a happy ending.

57 percent is fucking horrific. Not unexpected given our "educational" climate or the teachings of a "peaceful" religion, to say nothing of the media, but 57 percent support THAT?

People worried about hurt feelings, bad tweets, gender issues, DEI, a host of other issues, and we have 57 percent of a "peaceful" religion wanting to eradicate a people/ country from the planet.

AND ONE WAS ELECTED TO OUR CONGRESS?!?!?!?!

Nice.

Fuck, I'm off the Net for the night. I have a roast in the crock pot and some Irish in a glass.

The world is paint by numbers and we still don't see the picture.

No thanks, there's a reason no other middle-eastern countries are willing to take them in.

Can't blame Israel for trying to export their trash tho...
You can absolutely blame Israel for trying to export their trash. The whole religion of peace bullshit has been foisted upon us by a media and political complex that's very liberal and very Jewish. It wasn't until the massacre happened that the liberal Jewish community stateside was actively supporting BLM and all sorts of other useful idiots, while the conservative Jewish factions were labeled as Nazis.

That said, Israel isn't innocent either. Their treatment of Christians and other minorities has been horrendous. The level of hatred and anger we are seeing doesn't happen in a vacuum. No one is innocent here and that's why 2 bit actors like Iran are able to effectively toss fuel into a smoldering fire.

Cracks me up that the Irish are burning shit. Stop fucking burning fish n chip shops are start burning government buildings that are the reason for the immigration disasters. That's my take on it. I'd be pissed off too.
This is me spit balling, but I'm wondering how many of those businesses are run by the non Irish. People are what bleed and suffer. Govt does not. It's easier to target individuals of outside origins and force them out, than to deal with an incompetent govt.

Think triage. Go after the immediate threats/most pressing things, then tackle the other more complex things.

57 percent is fucking horrific. Not unexpected given our "educational" climate or the teachings of a "peaceful" religion, to say nothing of the media, but 57 percent support THAT?

People worried about hurt feelings, bad tweets, gender issues, DEI, a host of other issues, and we have 57 percent of a "peaceful" religion wanting to eradicate a people/ country from the planet.

AND ONE WAS ELECTED TO OUR CONGRESS?!?!?!?!

Nice.

Fuck, I'm off the Net for the night. I have a roast in the crock pot and some Irish in a glass.

The world is paint by numbers and we still don't see the picture.
Remember that someone let these people in. These same people hijacked our educational, communication (media), and political systems, while flooding our country with undesirables from other nations. These people want to destroy our nation and to do so they have to destroy the American public.

I guess everyone forgot the post 9-11 muslim polls that told us all that plenty of them thought the jews did 9-11 or that it was justified because Israel or whatever.
Our liberal media and their useful idiots did a great job of burying that.

EVERYONE was in on the Holocaust. Jews were begging to leave Europe in the '30s, but no one would allow them in. And then we put on our surprise face in Europe in the early '40s when we uncover concentration camps. Everyone was complicit in that.

@R.Caerbannog , generally Israel appreciates out-of-country Christians because of the influx of political and tourist dollars. Now what they do inside their house, no one pays attention.

^Yes.

See the history of Jewish illegal immigration into Palestine Mandate before Hitler even came to power. The British appeased the local muslims by limiting the jewish population to about 30% by law. A lot just bounced from Europe and showed up like the past couple decades of Central/South Americans here. Save for the fact Palestine Mandate was lightly populated scrubland and they built it up to what became.

57% of American Muslims ???
What in the hell kind of statistic is that in the context of a brutal attack on innocent civilians ??? Using religious affiliation to quantify these murderous shenanigans is just more of the same bullshit media spin that most people have become so accustomed to that they don't even recognize it as bullshit anymore.

I wouldn't have been surprised to see it reported as 67% or even 87% when you are just trying to drive the narrative. Well, fuck that bullshit - there is no such thing as "American" Muslims in this context. If you are a civilized member of the Western world, there is no reason whatsoever to quantify a position on the wholesale slaughter of innocent men, women, and children based on your religion.

Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Mormon, Atheist, or Church of the Flying Spagehtti Monster...
...why would a sane person need to quantify the statistic as "57% of American Muslims" unless they are trying to soften the hate speech of a bunch of savages?

Was it ok?
No.
But I'm a muslim
Oh well then the statistics apply differently to your opinion.

Wait till you find out what percentage of Leftist Americans rhink the Oct. 7th attacks were justified...:-oO_o

Whatever the number, anything over zero is stupid.

----

Not surprising, but WTF?

Biden offers apology to Muslim-American leaders for questioning Hamas death toll: report

During the meeting, Biden listened to the leaders describe people they knew who were directly impacted by the conflict in the Middle East.

"I’m sorry. I’m disappointed in myself," Biden told the group, according to the Washington Post.

The Muslim-American leaders who met with Biden urged him to show more empathy to the Palestinians and Biden allegedly hugged one of the participants at the end of the meeting.

Mr. President, we're disappointed in you.

Whatever the number, anything over zero is stupid.

----

Not surprising, but WTF?

Biden offers apology to Muslim-American leaders for questioning Hamas death toll: report

Mr. President, we're disappointed in you.
This dipshit with his idiot KJP press secretary announced a project with the FBI to combat Islamaphobia on October 9th or whatever the hell it was. She literally announced it within a week. Was fucking awful. At a time when Anti-Semitic attacks and speech skyrocketed overnight...and continues to go up...but hey let's worry about the one Islamophobic dude on twitter instead of the 100k antisemitic ones in the street.

Last edited:
This dipshit with his idiot KJP press secretary announced a project with the FBI to combat Islamaphobia on October 9th or whatever the hell it was. She literally announced it within a week. Was fucking awful. At a time when Anti-Semitic attacks and speech skyrocketed overnight...and continues to go up...but hey let's worry about the one Islamophobic dude on twitter instead of the 100k antisemitic ones in the street.
I don't remember this exactly so anyone should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But back in the day when Nidal Hassan shot up Fort Hood, I remember a general officer making a public announcement along the lines of, "the worst thing that could happen is if we react with Islamophobia." Um, no. For me as a military leader, the worst thing that could happen is, that it happens again. Islamophobia is bad, but it's not as bad as my Soldiers getting murdered by one of their own.

Nidal Hasan - Wikipedia

Back