Israel and Iran

They were already in the Med, just east of Italy. It's a quick trip. Bataan ARQ is in the Persian Gulf and likely moving south to drill holes in the water south of the peninsula.
Replying to Doc's post but meaning it as a general observation vs. a direct response:

It's interesting that a carrier strike force is moving towards Israel/Gaza, but I mean what are they going to do? It's not like the US is going to conduct airstrikes in Gaza. Maybe they have some kind of ISR or EW capability then can help with, but they're not going to do anything meaningful kinetically.

If they really wanted to make a statement, they'd park that group off the coast of Iran instead of in the Med.

Replying to Doc's post but meaning it as a general observation vs. a direct response:

It's interesting that a carrier strike force is moving towards Israel/Gaza, but I mean what are they going to do? It's not like the US is going to conduct airstrikes in Gaza. Maybe they have some kind of ISR or EW capability then can help with, but they're not going to do anything meaningful kinetically.

If they really wanted to make a statement, they'd park that group off the coast of Iran instead of in the Med.

I think you're mostly right. The other reason to bring the Marine ARG and the CSG closer is to prepare for NEO ops if we have to. But it's a show of force that aside from NEO evac isn't going to scare anyone.

They were already in the Med, just east of Italy. It's a quick trip. Bataan ARQ is in the Persian Gulf and likely moving south to drill holes in the water south of the peninsula.

Huh? Carrier Group 12 was scheduled to be in Marseille, France, today for a long term port visit and was intending to host visits aboard ship.

Port of Marseille is 640 Miles as the crow flies from Messina. Based on dignitary and journalist visits scheduled for tomorrow, CG12 had be west of Corsica. So that's going to add a few days.

No, NEO prep.

Where is the nearest ARG?

What are the boys in Vincenza and Stuttgart up to?

Those are all things to watch.

Israel has nukes, and will use them as a last resort. I don't know what the range is, but I am willing to be Beirut, Damascus, and a few other capitols are within range.

Can we (the US) resupply Israel and the Ukraine? Clinton and Bush (Rumsfeld) killed our mobilization abilities. That's what happens when you run DoD like a business.

Huh? Carrier Group 12 was scheduled to be in Marseille, France, today for a long term port visit and was intending to host visits aboard ship.

Port of Marseille is 640 Miles as the crow flies from Messina. Based on dignitary and journalist visits scheduled for tomorrow, CG12 had be west of Corsica. So that's going to add a few days.

East, West. My dyslexia got in the way. West of Italy.

No, NEO prep.

Where is the nearest ARG?

The Bataan ARG, in the Persian Gulf, is the nearest ARG. NEO is part of what they do. Likely not needed, but hopefully any American in the region will be 'comforted' by US assets in the area. Blinken said they are still assessing if any American are in danger.

Soooooo did Mossad miss the boat on this attack because of a failure to appoint senior US officials? Because they not only were (seemingly) caught flat-footed, but they have FAR more at stake than we do.

As Jack Murphy was told to stfu the other day with his snark, he said some stupid shit about how overrated Mossad was.

Gaza is the remit of Aman (Military Intelligence Directorate) and Shabak (Internal Security Agency). Based on the strikes the IAF has had on mobile Hamas targets and command centers in the last 24, I'd say they have a ton of intel. Was this a miss. Probably. But it's said the HAMAS has stopped using cellular communications for strategic discussions and campaign plans and only tactical stuff.

This is my surprised face….

WSJ News Exclusive | Iran Helped Plot Attack on Israel Over Several Weeks

DUBAI—Iranian security officials helped plan Hamas’s Saturday surprise attack on Israel and gave the green light for the assault at a meeting in Beirut last Monday, according to senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah, another Iran-backed militant group.

Officers of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had worked with Hamas since August to devise the air, land and sea incursions—the most significant breach of Israel’s borders since the 1973 Yom Kippur War—those people said.

Details of the operation were refined during several meetings in Beirut attended by IRGC officers and representatives of four Iran-backed militant groups, including Hamas, which holds power in Gaza, and Hezbollah, a Shiite militant group and political faction in Lebanon, they said.

(Much more within link)

Looks like for now Byron is showing that we will do the right thing.

LOL...really? Moving a carrier is pretty standard for this sort of thing. We don't need a carrier in the Med to do...anything, really. The Gerry Ford is also our newest CVN, so this will be seen by the Navy as some form of validation or whatever. We have enough airpower in the region to let Israel take a nap while we destroy Hamas, so moving a carrier around is just symbolic.

Shit, is Israel gonna' bomb that too and say they didn't see the flag?

Send those sailors back to shore leave in Croatia or whatever. The local bars and whores would appreciate the gesture. Otherwise, that CSG is doing nothing.

ETA: Yeah, a NEO, but there's also Cyprus and the Brits wouldn't hesitate to let us use it, and I doubt the Jordanians would deny us rights there too. Moving a carrier is standard. Much ado about nothing.

LOL...really? Moving a carrier is pretty standard for this sort of thing. We don't need a carrier in the Med to do...anything, really. The Gerry Ford is also our newest CVN, so this will be seen by the Navy as some form of validation or whatever. We have enough airpower in the region to let Israel take a nap while we destroy Hamas, so moving a carrier around is just symbolic.

Shit, is Israel gonna' bomb that too and say they didn't see the flag?

Send those sailors back to shore leave in Croatia or whatever. The local bars and whores would appreciate the gesture. Otherwise, that CSG is doing nothing.

ETA: Yeah, a NEO, but there's also Cyprus and the Brits wouldn't hesitate to let us use it, and I doubt the Jordanians would deny us rights there too. Moving a carrier is standard. Much ado about nothing.

Sure, but in the statement it also discusses deploying military aid (munitions). And Byron is really bad at stuff so he needs to save face a bit.

This is my surprised face….

WSJ News Exclusive | Iran Helped Plot Attack on Israel Over Several Weeks

DUBAI—Iranian security officials helped plan Hamas’s Saturday surprise attack on Israel and gave the green light for the assault at a meeting in Beirut last Monday, according to senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah, another Iran-backed militant group.

Officers of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had worked with Hamas since August to devise the air, land and sea incursions—the most significant breach of Israel’s borders since the 1973 Yom Kippur War—those people said.

Details of the operation were refined during several meetings in Beirut attended by IRGC officers and representatives of four Iran-backed militant groups, including Hamas, which holds power in Gaza, and Hezbollah, a Shiite militant group and political faction in Lebanon, they said.

(Much more within link)

But the 70 BILLION we've granted Iran access to over the last three years had absolutely nothing to do with funding this nothing at all.

I can't see any situation wherein carrier-based aircraft would attack inside Gaza. The Israelis are more than capable of doing so on their own, and any attack against any meaningful target will nearly certainly involve legit civilian casualties because of where Hamas deliberately places them.

I do, however, see a possibility of the US doing airstrikes and missile launches against outposts in southern Syria and Lebanon if Hezbollah or any of its splinter groups act up. But I also think that is remote.

There are lots of people with US citizenship inside Israel, so the NEO makes a lot of sense to me, especially if something happens and the civilian international airport becomes unusable.

Back