Jamal Khashoggi thread (murdered journalist)

Also: Where dafuq have you been?

I decided to reduce my online interactions about a year ago, and took a break. Doing so reduced a fair bit of stress in my life. I'll be around - not as active as I once was, but more so than the last year has been.

@racing_kitty thanks for finding and posting that.

An interesting, if rather lengthy read from The Spectator, if one has the time. I had a hunch that certain things didn’t add up (because fuck American media), but not enough knowledge to figure out where that hunch came from. While there is still quite a bit that I don’t know, I at least understand that my hunch was right.

Great article. I honestly had no idea who that guy was, by name at least, prior to his death and was surprised to learn about his ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Can’t say that I’m surprised, nor heartbroken.

Somewhat related, I wonder if Kamal Ataturk were to do today what he did a century ago, would he get the same media treatment as the Saudi crown prince today? On the surface, their overall situations seem similar. I’d have to do some digging before making more comparisons.

Maybe it was a fistfight with Edward Scissorhands...

We need a few more good Tweets before the truth comes out

Maybe he was a sacrificial lamb, gave up for Intel? Gah, who knows

Does Khashoggi's ties to MB and OBL matter? In any other common sense reality, would we care? "Journalist" seems like just an easy excuse to hate on Saudi Arabia.

Makes sense. I routinely dismember and then liquify people that lose to me in fist fights.

Seriously though, when is the administration going to do something about this? It’s all fun and games, I get it- the US resident nerd fake black belt journalist with a weird history died and ha ha, Turkey told us everything. The king said they didn’t do it, and just like Judge Kavanaugh, one should be innocent until proven guilty (that’s not rhetoric, that’s a paraphrase of a quote from the president comparing the two, which I am sure Judge Kavanaugh had to be pumped about).

How much further are we gonna set this bar? For f*#^s sake...

Last edited:
Makes sense. I routinely dismember and then liquify people that lose to me in fist fights.

Seriously though, when is the administration going to do something about this? It’s all fun and games, I get it- the US resident nerd fake black belt journalist with a weird history died and ha ha, Turkey told us everything. The king said they didn’t do it, and just like Judge Kavanaugh, one should be innocent until proven guilty (that’s not rhetoric, that’s a paraphrase of a quote from the president comparing the two, which I am sure Judge Kavanaugh had to be pumped about).

How much further are we gonna set this bar? For f*#^s sake...

Outside a strongly worded letter, I think we should ignore this. Way worse things are going on in Saudi Arabia. Is this the thing that should make people care. They're still a strategic ally against other states.

The Saudis have to be about the worst people on the planet. All the reasons we went into Iraq could have all been applied to the Saudis. They are the reason for Islam getting as fucked up as it is- Wahhabism has done more damage to the world than any other ideology, and they are the pitch men for that shit. I also think it’s funny how we have always turned a blind eye to their own pursuit of nuclear weapons...

Does Khashoggi's ties to MB and OBL matter? In any other common sense reality, would we care? "Journalist" seems like just an easy excuse to hate on Saudi Arabia.

I don't think his ties to OBL really matter; he was connected to him up until the mid-90s, basically the same amount of time we were.

The MB thing gets tricky. Religion is pretty intrinsically connected to everything in the Arab world; we pretty much have to accept the fact that, if that part of the world wants a Democratic process, it's going to involve groups like MB. I don't like it, but I don't see other options.

Outside a strongly worded letter, I think we should ignore this. Way worse things are going on in Saudi Arabia. Is this the thing that should make people care. They're still a strategic ally against other states.

That's the rub. The Saudi's are slightly better allies than Paki, so we pretty much gotta let this slide with a slap on the wrist.

I don't think his ties to OBL really matter; he was connected to him up until the mid-90s, basically the same amount of time we were.

The MB thing gets tricky. Religion is pretty intrinsically connected to everything in the Arab world; we pretty much have to accept the fact that, if that part of the world wants a Democratic process, it's going to involve groups like MB. I don't like it, but I don't see other options.

That's the rub. The Saudi's are slightly better allies than Paki, so we pretty much gotta let this slide with a slap on the wrist.

Well, there's religion, and there's the Muslim Brotherhood. Several countries, including Saudi Arabia, consider the Muslim Brotherhood to be a terrorist organization. So they might be the loudest in the most violent, but who knows how much influence they actually have with Saudi Arabia?

I think the only reason that any American media is giving this a second thought is to try to use it in context of what Trump is or is not doing. Otherwise, I really don't think they care.

Like them or lump them, Saudi Arabia is a stable force in the region, and they can keep some of the more belligerent neighbors at bay. Not to mention their mutually beneficial economic ties to the US.

I don't know much about that guy that got turned into a human jigsaw puzzle, but it sounded like if anyone was deserving of a dirt nap, he was. Honestly I'm really not getting worked up about that.

Back