Jamal Khashoggi thread (murdered journalist)

Good call and thank you!

Agree with Mara... there is a situation to be exploited here. I am not smart enough to estimate ‘how much’, but I am smart enough to know that it’s more than ‘none’.

As for those that are taking the line of ‘he deserved it/what do you expect’- I’ll agree on the condition that we also agree that the people who did it ALSO agree a pee-pee whacking on some level because they’re pieces of shit, too.

And the opportunity for the president to look strong by tough talking a bit- it boggles my mind he hasn’t taken a hard line here even if it’s only talk. The dude talks constantly about fist fighting political opponents and we can’t get a little ‘fire and fury’ on this one?

My guess is that he’s simply not ready to rock the boat with the Saudis. And by vocally diminishing the value of a ‘journalists’ life in relation to a bigger geopolitical picture, is his backhanded way of sharing his sentiment towards journalists in general.

A flaming bag of qadban...a lesser known ME delicacy. To partially answer the Apple watch question, there was an initil report of the sound going to his finacee outside on the street, but is this really possible due the distance? I thought to transmit data the iPhone had to be quite close.

That one is easy...just like the Saudis did what they wanted under previous administrations. Oil market impact.
But that’s what I’m saying- previous admins fucked up too (by valuing the business relationship too greatly) and led to the problem.

This is the administration that puts America and its conservative ideals first, right? Seems like a slam dunk.

My guess is that he’s simply not ready to rock the boat with the Saudis. And by vocally diminishing the value of a ‘journalists’ life in relation to a bigger geopolitical picture, is his backhanded way of sharing his sentiment towards journalists in general.
And that, rhetoric aside, is a scary prospect. ‘Agree with me or have your life valued differently’ is a very bad road.

I’ll disagree with you and say that angle absolutely doesn’t play a part here. Cause I’m an idealist.

Last edited:
And that, rhetoric aside, is a scary prospect. ‘Agree with me or have your life valued differently’ is a very bad road.

I’ll disagree with you and say that angle absolutely doesn’t play a part here. Cause I’m an idealist.

Yes, a scary prospect indeed; but then again, it is just a guess and not my fully formed opinion, or a fact.

Last edited:

That's really not what went down. Think of this as street justice...dude was a former loyalist and advisor and then went over to their enemy (Erdogan) and used his platform as a "journalist" to admonish them. He's just lucky he had so long.

A flaming bag of qadban...a lesser known ME delicacy. To partially answer the Apple watch question, there was an initil report of the sound going to his finacee outside on the street, but is this really possible due the distance? I thought to transmit data the iPhone had to be quite close.

If he had the latest version of the watch they have their own LTE chip...but where's the recording and htf would that not have been taken off him. I'm sure gold plated apple watches are all the rage amongst the Saudi elite so there's no way they didn't know what it was. So, again, no recording my guess.

In regards to the whole apple watch thing:

Occam's razor would suggest that either
A) He had a more sophisticated recording device on him. (Likely spying for Turkey)

Or B) Turkey just has the embassy bugged and doesn't want to admit that directly.

Option B is probably the most likely.

For decades - republicans have pretended that they wanted champion the cause of energy independence - no more being held captive to saudi oil - blah blah blah

Now - the Saudis have handed the USA an excuse to halt cash deposits into the Sauid oil banks.
...call it an energy emergency - use the "emergency" to open a few spots in the USA that have been treated as sacred ground for drilling. Just imagine the irony of a liberal love affair with radical journalists being the caytapult to a huge boon in the US oil industry that makes the ozone hole bigger.
But no - our leaders dont have the talent - "Drill baby drill - its an emergency and we "cant" buy oil from those US journalist killing Saudis. Get that well dug - NOW - and then, once the media starts focusing on the next shiny object scandal or the next sophomoric Tweet - the oil industry can expand US operations and really stick it to the Saudis for good.
Sounds neat,
but lets just tweet.

We will lose the oppurtunity - because our leaders are schmucks that only want to fund-raise and muckrake - foreign policy is what the NEXT administration can deal with when they take office. American leaders from both side of the aisle past and present are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - this event will be no different.

America first, yes. But not conservatism. In fact, one of the major critiques of Candidate Trump was that he's "isn't a conservative." Top Republicans say Donald Trump’s real problem is that he’s too moderate
And given his spending and a lot of other policies I would agree. I think I meant ‘conservative’ in the sense of values/alignment with the GOP in that realm. I’ll wholeheartedly agree he’s not there on stuff like spending. But this seems, again, like a big win on both sides of the aisle. American strength projected abroad to a theocrstocally run country that produced 19 hijackers responsible for 9/11 AND a symbolic gesture for human rights and equality for women and any number of leftist talking points.

@ThunderHorse , that’s why I disagree with the notion that the president is dismissive because it’s a journalist- I am not willing to accept that the president is just flossing over a US resident and the father of citizens getting slaughtered because of the job he held. I’d like to think that’s absurd, but I’ve been wrong before.

We tend to give residency to all sorts of undesirables. But you know, Dems shot down the State Department quotas because RACIST.
Man, I get it. I know what the situation is- but I am talking about using the situation for America's advantage. Not a partisan issue, at all. Has nothing to do with backhandedly maligning the press corps, or Dems and R's, or anything of the like.

I dislike the way the admin is handling the issue because I think it's bad politics; no other reason.

Turkey are handling this masterfully.

Everytime the Saudi's have come up with their next bullshit version of events, the Turks just leak another bit of the information they obviously have to blow a hole in it.

It's a helluva way to damage one of the big players in the region.

Man, I get it. I know what the situation is- but I am talking about using the situation for America's advantage. Not a partisan issue, at all. Has nothing to do with backhandedly maligning the press corps, or Dems and R's, or anything of the like.

I dislike the way the admin is handling the issue because I think it's bad politics; no other reason.

@amlove21 I hear you and I’m with you. My guess, and I do stress the word guess, likely just boils down the Saudis just doing what they wanted to do and the below excerpt from the media...

Saudi Arabia “has been a very important ally,” Mr. Trump said. He noted again, as he has repeatedly since Mr. Khashoggi’s disappearance, that the kingdom was spending billions of dollars on American weapons.

Now, why Turkey decided to stir the pot and alert the U.S.A. is the not so obvious unknown factor to me. Maybe they did this to absolve themselves from what happened to Khashoggi? Not sure. What IS obvious is that the Saudis had a big beef with this guy and were going to confront Kashshoogi either to terminate him or strike fear into him come hell or high water.

Last edited:

Everytime the Saudi's have come up with their next bullshit version of events, the Turks just leak another bit of the information they obviously have to blow a hole in it.

Agreed. Besides absolving themselves from participation I wonder what they’re angle is?

Anyone have an opinion as to why Turkey blew the whistle, besides trying to keep their hands clean?

@Poccington Whats your opinion as to why the Turks would do this, besides trying to absolve themselves from being involved?

@Poccington Whats your opinion as to why the Turks would do this, besides trying to absolve themselves from being involved?

Hoping to somewhat diminish the Saudis/MBS' standing as a big player in the Middle East would be my guess as to their main effort, especially with Turkey going to be looking to assert itself in the post Syria landscape.

Also, it's worth remembering that Erdogan is in the dog house with the West for generally being an absurdly corrupt autocrat so once they got their hands on the information, it's a chance for a big PR win for him and his regime.

Back