Larry Vickers' Case

Not quite sure what Larry is complaining about. Guess loyalty over integrity is a requirement in some circles.

I think the interpersonal and business dynamics are far more complicated than what we are seeing play out. I can only imagine the world of emotions he is going through. We have no idea what's been said by Bill Wilson or the communications they have had.

That said, Wilson combat could easily put out a statement reading "We are frustrated and saddened to hear that Larry has been breaking the law, apparently for several years, which potentially puts our business in a position of liability. Therefore we have no choice but to disengage with him."

Interesting to see the view on personally owned firearms and duty carry. I'm with AWP on a firm belief that you should not carry a personal weapon while on duty.

Crazy that personal preferences are allowed in this environment. Personal preferences that very few people get in the Service. Oh well, I won't on a diatribe about why unifiormity, commonality et al are important. But I also agree with AWP that most LEOs are ill trained for what they do (also under paid in most places).

But that's not the purpose of this thread. Sucks for Larry to get targeted, easy name for the Feds to go after and make it look like they're doing something rather than you know going after gang bangers and cartel weapons trafficking.

I think the interpersonal and business dynamics are far more complicated than what we are seeing play out. I can only imagine the world of emotions he is going through. We have no idea what's been said by Bill Wilson or the communications they have had.
Yeah there’s a couple dozen variations on how that could have gone (from “sorry to hear what happened but” through “screw that guy don’t answer the phone” and more) and I don’t have any insight or knowledge on what actually has transpired.

I think the interpersonal and business dynamics are far more complicated than what we are seeing play out. I can only imagine the world of emotions he is going through.
The quote, "well, well, well, it's the consequences of my own actions..." rings a bell.

That said, Wilson combat could easily put out a statement reading "We are frustrated and saddened to hear that Larry has been breaking the law, apparently for several years, which potentially puts our business in a position of liability. Therefore we have no choice but to disengage with him."
Wilson has zero responsibility or duty to address the public in the matter.

The quote, "well, well, well, it's the consequences of my own actions..." rings a bell.

Wilson has zero responsibility or duty to address the public in the matter.

Yes.

I agree. I hate that Vickers brought it out in public. Neither he nor Wilson had to address it. To be honest, I don't care about Wilson one way or the other. But Bill Wilson can (should?) just say nothing.

Interesting to see the view on personally owned firearms and duty carry. I'm with AWP on a firm belief that you should not carry a personal weapon while on duty.

Crazy that personal preferences are allowed in this environment. Personal preferences that very few people get in the Service. Oh well, I won't on a diatribe about why unifiormity, commonality et al are important. But I also agree with AWP that most LEOs are ill trained for what they do (also under paid in most places).
No, please… give us the benefit of your opinion on how a profession you’re not a member of should conduct itself.

That opinion will surely be worth as much as my opinion on how long SFAS should be, or why Hell Week at BUDS isn’t necessary.

Military service...not all are the same. At one time, regular military carried Berreta 9mm, some MOS's carried Sig P228, SOF units carried, Glock 19's, Sig 226...etc. Not all are the same....but not personally owned...I get it.

Police carry: Even on the Federal level, there is a main issued weapon, then there are the personal owned weapons (POWs) that are allowed.
For example, the FBI issues the Glock 19M, but allow POW Glock 43 and 43X for duty use.

Local and State, there is usally a main duty weapon supplied, but like my department, the Glock 45 9mm is a bit large to carry plainclothes or off duty, so you can provide your own weapon for that, as long as it is a Glock 9mm and serviced/inspected by department armorer.

If you think off duty carry is a different animal than on duty...legally it is not. You shoot somebody off duty, it better be a department approved weapon that you have qualified with.

As far as the LEOs are ill trained...well, there are approx 700,000 full time police officers in the US, so that is a strong statment to make. Just like any armed services, there are great, average, and under average marksman...no matter how much training is available and provided.

No, please… give us the benefit of your opinion on how a profession you’re not a member of should conduct itself.

That opinion will surely be worth as much as my opinion on how long SFAS should be, or why Hell Week at BUDS isn’t necessary.

Oh lawd. We gonna go down that route. Well as a customer, taxpayer, and voter, I sure as hell am allowed an opinion. Yeah, I don't pay taxes in your jurisdiction so I'll keep my opinions to those confined in Texas. But you can come down from your soap box thanks.

Military service...not all are the same. At one time, regular military carried Berreta 9mm, some MOS's carried Sig P228, SOF units carried, Glock 19's, Sig 226...etc. Not all are the same....but not personally owned...I get it.

Police carry: Even on the Federal level, there is a main issued weapon, then there are the personal owned weapons (POWs) that are allowed.
For example, the FBI issues the Glock 19M, but allow POW Glock 43 and 43X for duty use.

Local and State, there is usally a main duty weapon supplied, but like my department, the Glock 45 9mm is a bit large to carry plainclothes or off duty, so you can provide your own weapon for that, as long as it is a Glock 9mm and serviced/inspected by department armorer.

If you think off duty carry is a different animal than on duty...legally it is not. You shoot somebody off duty, it better be a department approved weapon that you have qualified with.

As far as the LEOs are ill trained...well, there are approx 700,000 full time police officers in the US, so that is a strong statment to make. Just like any armed services, there are great, average, and under average marksman...no matter how much training is available and provided.

Bolded emphasizes my point.

On the last paragraph that is a fair assessment overall just like the bad versus good apple bit. Yet, the volume of LEOs (across multiple states) that I know that have shot their duty weapon less than twice in a year is a volume that is concerning. And most LEOs I've run into aren't really gun guys either. Maybe I have bad luck there maybe not.

I do know one that was a nationally ranked 3-gun shooter though. He was BA. But he's the minority.

Last edited:
All I can speak of is my 35 years of law enforcement in Texas. The two departments I worked for were very good about firearms training, most officers very savvy in firearms profiency. Besides military training and combat deployments, the training and emphasis in firearms training at my PDs were very good, and I see it improving every day. Just my 2 cents.

A statement from the man himself.

Greetings all. I don’t normally make posts like this but based on what has happened with me and the unique circumstances I’m in I feel like I should. As most of you know I pleaded guilty to two felonies on Oct 19th, 2023. I can’t speak much about the details as the situation is ongoing but suffice to say I own my actions and understand the consequences- big boy rules as many of us, myself included, have said in the past.

The outpouring of support has been overwhelming from the gun community as well as my business partners and I can never express fully the gratitude I feel toward those friends and partners who are standing by my side as I go through this process. As most all of you know this is the very first time I have ever made a public statement like this and that should tell you how strongly I feel about this particular matter. Let me say once again I own my actions and regret putting my friends and partners in the position of having to stand up next to me in a less than ideal situation…..but that’s exactly when you need friends and I am blessed with mine who are standing fast beside me. I will never forget who stood with me and supported me through good times and bad.

The heartfelt strength you guys and many others have leant me – from those I have taught in person, and so many I have never met personally but have interacted with or presented to online and on the air, is astounding. I battle depression like many former service members and this situation has weighed on me heavily for well over two years since going through the cancer and treatment and simultaneously dealing with this situation – and there have been some dark times in the not too distant past. But you guys, my true friends and my family have helped me work to maintain a positive attitude even when it hasn’t been easy. Thank you all for that - it literally means the world to me.

Larry Vickers

Back