Mandalorian Spoiler Discussion/speculation Thread -

OK, you guys got to help me understand what I'm missing here.

I watched the first season when it came out and it must've been OK because I started season 2. I finished episode 4 or 5 but I'm done - it's terrible!

The story is the same for every episode and it's ridiculous. He travels to a new place and ends up helping locals for no apparent reason, especially when he should've just killed them, like in episode 2 when he wants the guy to give up the Mandalorian armor. Then all the sudden they're buddies?! Huh?

They also seem to be trying way too hard at some bit of humor with baby Yoda but it's not even a little funny.

Then there's stuff like the pirates and other "Mandalorians" in episode 4. It really makes no sense. The writing is abysmal.

I don't remember it being so bad last season but maybe I forgot?! What keeps you guys going back for more?
Are you a western or Star Wars fan by chance?

The story is the same for every episode and it's ridiculous. He travels to a new place and ends up helping locals for no apparent reason, especially when he should've just killed them, like in episode 2 when he wants the guy to give up the Mandalorian armor.

I think there is always a reason for him doing those side quests. Mando's mission was to bring Grogu back to "his people", now that somewhat changed from finding his race, to any Jedi who is willing to take care of him.
The side quests all involve information or items that help him either progress in his main quest, or protect/save Grogu.
Yeah, it's an overdone formula and repetitive, but the way I see it, the show is a lovely homage to classic Western / Samurai flicks and I personaly am totaly forgiving of the repetitiveness because it keeps me entertained with all those nods, references and eastereggs.
I guess it's a matter of perspective and preference. I absolutly get how casual viewers would remain a bit confused by all the references and populating, even after exposition. I noticed some stuff in it that only hardcore fans would even recognize.

Then all the sudden they're buddies?! Huh?

I was of the impression that Mando asked questions first and only resorted to violence when they are threatened. I think he is also fully aware of the huge advantige in being covered with plates that literaly deflect projectiles and even lightsaber strikes, which makes him very confident. I also think he has become a bit softer since taking care of Grogu, which is a cute character development imo.

They also seem to be trying way too hard at some bit of humor with baby Yoda but it's not even a little funny.

Yeah, that's very subjective. I love some of the dark humor, like with the eggs, while in other parts of the world, it apparently caused outrage. LoL

Then there's stuff like the pirates and other "Mandalorians"

Remember when they said in S1 E7 that being Mandalorian was a creed, not a race ? yeah, that deserved some proper explanation. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

Mandalorians were an entire society of peoples, groups and clans, bound by a common code and creed, but often seperated by different beliefs. They had their own little empire and home world Mandalore, and the title of their ruler was Mand'alor. I know, very original.
Bo-Katan seeks to become Mand'alor and unite her people. The Darksaber, which is currently in Moff Gideon's possession, is important to her because it's the symbol of Mandalorian leadership since it was built by the first Mandalorian Jedi.

Mando is referred to as a so called "Child of the Watch". The Children of the Watch were a group of religious zealots that subscribed to some very ancient and strict traditions, common Mandaliorians don't practice. Like wearing a helmet at all times.
Apparently Mando was completly oblivious to the fact that different Mandalorian factions even existed. He thought only those who behaved ike him and his fellow cult members, were Mandalorians. Seems his cult in particular is pretty isolated from the remaining Mandalorian society that apparently got purged by the Empire ( smth mentioned by Gideon in the 1st season ) and went into hiding.

The reason some priates and thugs keep attacking him, is because of his beskar armor.

What keeps you guys going back for more?

Right now returning characters from the original trilogy/old lore/other shows and eastereggs.

I apologize because my intent wasn't to come here and crap on the show but it just wasn't doing it for me. I appreciate the explanations @Gordus.

Also, what is the supposed timeline for this? Before the final movie?

I love it not because it's necessarily Star Wars, but it gives significant homage to old Japanese (in form of Samurai) and spaghetti westerns. I know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; some of these episodes are scene-for-scene from sold old westerns. Makes me love it even more. Star Wars, for me, is icing on the cake.

I apologize because my intent wasn't to come here and crap on the show but it just wasn't doing it for me. I appreciate the explanations @Gordus.

After.
It helps to be a die hard Star Wars fan. My boys have studied the Mandalore for years so when this came out they about peed themselves.

I watched the first season when it came out and it must've been OK because I started season 2. I finished episode 4 or 5 but I'm done - it's terrible!

The story is the same for every episode and it's ridiculous. He travels to a new place and ends up helping locals for no apparent reason, especially when he should've just killed them, like in episode 2 when he wants the guy to give up the Mandalorian armor. Then all the sudden they're buddies?! Huh?

Then there's stuff like the pirates and other "Mandalorians" in episode 4. It really makes no sense. The writing is abysmal.

I don't remember it being so bad last season but maybe I forgot?! What keeps you guys going back for more?

You want banned? That's how you get banned.

Ima tolerate a lot of dumb shit in the political threads, but you're fucking with Star Wars. Real Shit.

About five years after the events in Return of the Jedi, or more precicely, Battle of Endor.

Thrawn's return in the old canon also took place 5 years after Endor. So I don't think his name drop in the exact same timeline in current canon was random and just some small treat for the die hard fans..

Hey all -

In this thread, you do not have to use the “spoiler” functions.

You can if you want, but I put “spoiler” in the thread title, so ‘buyer beware’.

What are your feelings on the newest trilogy?

sally kohn troll GIF by The Opposite of Hate

Mando' might be the best series currently airing on any platform.

1 episode left...I can't imagine it will go "gentle into that good night" and I hope it is longer than 30 minutes.

Also, Gina Carano, if you're reading this, PM me. My wife is getting a lawyer tomorrow, she just doesn't know it yet.

Back