Mandalorian Spoiler Discussion/speculation Thread -

Then again, I didn't blink either when his former officer threw out that weird southern drawl instead of the standard RP for Imperial officers. The same for the big baddie Moff Gideon for sounding as American as he does in all the other big roles I've seen the actor in, much less as a high-ranking Imperial officer.

I probably unconsciously got inoculated to the accent disparities during the prequels. Little ("yippee!")and big Anakin were atrocious.

So, Star Wars characters living in a galaxy with how many ever planets, peoples, and languages, should all sound like Oxford grads?

And people say I need more diversity and inclusion training...

So, Star Wars characters living in a galaxy with how many ever planets, peoples, and languages, should all sound like Oxford grads?
Not at all, though some may feel that way depending on the character in question.

It does mean that the filmmakers did set up the beginnings of an internal logic for what accents to expect in some Star Wars characters based on how they made people from different races (Jar-Jar, say), social strata (Imperial officers), and locations speak.

I was illustrating that whatever accent sensitivity @Board and Seize is experiencing now probably wore off for me long ago in the prequels when the in-world inconsistencies between them and the original trilogy became evident.

Not at all, though some may feel that way depending on the character in question.

It does mean that the filmmakers did set up the beginnings of an in-world logic for how accents manifested in the Star Wars franchise based on how they made people from different races (Jar-Jar, say), social strata (Imperial officers), and locations speak.

I was illustrating that whatever accent sensitivity @Board and Seize is experiencing now probably wore off for me long ago in the prequels when the in-world inconsistencies between them and the original trilogy became evident.

Got it. Accents are canon.

Originally remember the first movies were filmed in the UK so no surprise there the majority of non stars were British.

Oh and also the Hollywood obsession with making all bad guys British. I'll throw that in there anyway.

Found it. Ugh.
younger GIF by TV Land

Back