Marines to axe 8th Marines, all armor, some aviation

I've known a lot of Marine Tank Officers, they were some of the best workers and most tactically sound Officers I've ever met. Marine Officers in AOBC/ABOLC raised the standard when it came to a lot of things.

Chucking this capability out the window is dumb. But heck, it's not just the tanks they're throwing out they're gutting the fires component.

I guess this means Army Tank Companies better get ready to go to sea.

It worked in the gulf war when we needed to attach Army tanks with Marine formations,and it’ll help get more Army tankers deployed and we will get to use upgrades not the M1A1.

Sorry to chime in with my ignorance, but there is mention of "floating" regiments in that pdf Ooh-Rah posted. I presume it would make sense to retain some level of land mobility and mobile firepower for responding in non-Pacific theatres, such as the European, right ?

Otherwise, if the U.S. are serious about ditching all the mentioned USMC assets, there is a "certain" country that would really love to get its hands on some of those A-10s and Abrams. ;-) :-x

Last edited:
As an active member and very much involved in my community I won’t speak for the official means of how we are “moving” our Marines but, there is a lot more going on at our level than what is in that article.

There’s a ton of passive ways this is taking place, TIS, TIG, MOS, EAS, Boatspaces, Eligibility for lateral move, what the Army is offering (Rank reduction) etc. that all plays a role in this.

Some people have more opportunities than others based on the above, some have very few.

Figured that to be the case, but its still better than nothing. Shitty nonetheless.

It worked in the gulf war when we needed to attach Army tanks with Marine formations,and it’ll help get more Army tankers deployed and we will get to use upgrades not the M1A1.

I read an article on that not too long ago. Turns out that tank battalion was being chopped so it was actually logical to plug them in. I'll dig for the article in the morning.

ETA: Don’t Go Too Crazy, Marine Corps - War on the Rocks

I was in the Lejeune area last weekend, and to see the development around 17/New River/210/Holly Ridge/Stone Bay you wouldn't think they are doing anything but growing....

What does that mean in English for the rest of us?

It's the area just south of Jacksonville, the south side of the New River which bisects Camp Lejeune and on which sits the best area for both military and civilian development. It's exploding. Parts of it used to be "in the country", now it's just one strip mall and housing development after another. I know part of it is the expansion of MARSOC (bringing all the west coast units to Lejeune).

1603808116457.png

Back