MARSOC- MOS CREATION AND TOURS

tigerstr,

If you're still in the Greek Air Force, you really should come over for an official visit. You would be able to obtain all the answers you want from official channels.

We'll answer some, but not all of your questions.

You know the deal. :uhh::D

I have a couple of friends that are now senior enlisted that were part of ANGLICO back before they were disbanded. It wasn't uncommon for them to send 0861's and RO's to Ranger school and sniper school. But I don't believe that they ever had any 03's in a STA billet. They could have lat-moved into the 0861 community, since that wasn't very uncommon back then, or even now.

I'm new to this site but wanted to jump in. In SCCO we worked w/ANGLICO & the unit they were after they got disbanded MLE, the Marine Liason Element, then reformed in '02.

And like what was said in the quote they never had a STA Plt per se but had 1 sniper billet open per team which usually went to one of their 0861's FireSupportmen/JTAC or 0621 Radio Operators.

Their teams were called FirePower Control Teams, FCTs. They were 2-6 Marines & sailors.

One per team, usually enlisted, would get sent to SSBC.

It was 1 Marine/Navy FAC or Arty/Naval Gun Off, 1 0861 SNCO, 1-2 0861, 2-3 RTOs. Usually they deployed as 4 or 6 & then broke down if necessary.

honestly did not know these facts in relation to time with MARSOC and such, was under the apparently mistaken impression it was similar to Recon in that it was a new MOS and once you were in you stayed in unless otherwise decided. so MARSOC at the momment is basically a b-billet and once your time is up you go back to FMF? I'm speaking from personal experience but I dont know any grunts that would wanna go from Special Op's back to a line company.....i'd foresee a definite friction at working in a special op's environment and then shifting back to a line company.....resentment from higher up's and those jealous of one's accomplishments, a definite friction in training/operational styles.....granted these are just opinions, but ones I think are founded.

~JohnnyBoy

As far as I can tell, MARSOC isn't getting an MOS until they sort out the ITC course. I've got a buddy over there who's part of the training team, and he tells me they're a few months from getting that course finalized. For now, if you're an 0321 then you can skip ITC and go straight to a team after passing Assessment & Selection.

I was told by one of their recruiters that once your tour is up, then you go back to the fleet. I assume that means a Force Company once they stand back up, or a Recon Bn. At any rate, like someone said before, the Marine Corps is training its best marines on SOCOM's dime and then sucking them back in to spread the knowledge around.

so what would that mean for those that are not from the Recon battalions or Force? I'm a 0311 getting ready for A&S. I'm aware that upon sucessful completion of A&S its off to 9 months at the MARSOC school at LeJune. So would that (and keep in mind i'm saying this all under the impression I make it past selection to begin with, but its all a mindset and i'm being positive mind you) mean that after a tour i'd go back to a line company, or be shifted to Recon or Force? I dont see how the latter could happen if your dont currently hold the 0321 MOS. Personally, i'd not wanna suddenly shift from a special operations community and work back to being another grunt in a line platoon...I mean isn't that why alot of people go for special operations? Cause they wanted more than a "normal" grunts life? Among other things that is....strictly speaking from a outsider's view on the matter, if i'm speaking out of my ass then by all means feel free to correct me.

~JohnnyBoy

<<snip>>
...I mean isn't that why alot of people go for special operations? Cause they wanted more than a "normal" grunts life? Among other things that is....strictly speaking from a outsider's view on the matter, if i'm speaking out of my ass then by all means feel free to correct me.

~JohnnyBoy

As an outsider looking in I would image that is the motivating factor for the individual Marine but the Marine Corp leadership is looking at it from the perspective of the Marine Corp as a whole. Training with someone elses money and then using that training to improve the Corp as a whole. Competing goals.

Appreciate that Scotth, and your right and I can understand the improving the Corps as a whole, and I agree completely. I just dont see it happening in that aspect....for the most part, and this is speaking as a grunt and someone who knows how the grunts work, alot of infantry commanders might or might not take those individual skills, schools, and learned abilities of a special operator and have the integrated or contributed to their unit. In Ramadi, we had a company commander who I to this day admire and respect, but refused to have Scout/Snipers attached to the company because he did not see the benefit of having them around or appreciated their skills. I'm simply afraid of the same sort of thing happening, and would think that those that come from a special operations background would be better suited staying in that area as opposed to "spreading the wealth" to the Corps....otherwise we mine as well put the entire Marine infantry through special op's training and schools and see where it takes us. Again, simply putting out my humble opinion as a outsider looking in, but also giving my input and experiences as a infantryman into the mix.

~JohnnyBoy

To answer your question JohnnyBoy, I talked to my buddy and he tells me that they're trying to get an MOS established for MSOB personnel who've completed the Individual Training Course, but it is unlikely to be a primary MOS. In other words it would be just another secondary MOS like being a Marksmanship instructor. Tours are 5 years long, and ITC is 9 months or so. After your tour, you go wherever the Marine Corps needs you. Probably to a B-Billet like recruiting, MSG, or drill instructor, which is generally required for everyone anyway. You'll probably pick up staff or gunny by then and will end up as a platoon sergeant somewhere or back in MARSOC as a senior leader in a team.

Regardless, 5 years is a long time to be operating by anyone's standards so a b-billet might be a nice break before you get back into the action.

appreciate the input TJT....out of general curiosity, anyone know the actual "pipeline" for MARSOC operators? I'm aware that MARSOC is in need of operators as fast as they can get them from the school house to a team in a MSOB....but what is the pipeline as far as schools and courses go once a Marine is done with his nine months at the school house in LeJune?

~JohnnyBoy

Once a marine goes through A&S and passes, then they go to ITC if they're not already Recon Marines. After that, Jump, Dive, SERE, Language, shooting package, Breacher, Sniper, Freefall, and whatever else they can get you into. I think eventually they want to make ITC a pipeline school where you get all of that stuff in a row, but right now it's not set up that way.

We'll see what happens in the future, but for right now it's random. They get whatever school seats are available and there's no particular order to it. You've just gotta make sure you're available to go at a moments notice. You may not even get any schools right away because they may throw you into a team that's in the middle of a deployment workup. Right now they're so short handed that it's anyone's guess.

There is no "pipeline". From my understanding talking to my friends, the construct is similiar to how it was with Force. Need a breacher in your team? A sniper? On a freefall team? Dive team? You get some training during the work up like Dynamic Assault/ CQB, HAHO, but most schools are "as required" or for your professional development. Schools take time and you can't go to all of them within one schools phase so you have to prioritize.

Disclaimer: My mobile only lets me type 200 characters at a time. So I may have to post several replies for this.
I am consiering reentry back into the Corps. Beibg an 0411, I am thinking a lat move.

If I do a lat move to 0321, do I go to ITB, then to BRC? If so is it better to just come back as an 0411, and try A&S? I'm not too keen on this rotate back to the fleet if my primary is still 0411.

If I do a lat move to 0321, do I go to ITB, then to BRC? If so is it better to just come back as an 0411, and try A&S? I'm not too keen on this rotate back to the fleet if my primary is still 0411.

If you go to A&S as an 0411 you will go to MCSOAG. As an 0321 you will go to MSOB. You would have to go to ITB and BRC. Now you will have to go to RIP and be a roper before ITB,

Teufel - Thank you for the info. I was gettign confused by all the different acronyms being used in the MarAdmins I've been reading. One mentions ITC for lat movers going 0321. And ITC is also talked about for MARSOC. It seemed odd that one would have to go through 9 months of ITC, and then go to 3 months of BRC. Is there still RIP on the east coast? Right before I left batallion they were getting ready to move over to Geiger. But now there is no ARS. Also, I read that RIP may be going away, and they are using BRC to filter guys that are not ready. Any truth to that.

I understand some things are still up in the air. I'm just trying to make sure I have my mind on the right path before I turn a package in. Thanks again.

Teufel - Thank you for the info. I was gettign confused by all the different acronyms being used in the MarAdmins I've been reading. One mentions ITC for lat movers going 0321. And ITC is also talked about for MARSOC. It seemed odd that one would have to go through 9 months of ITC, and then go to 3 months of BRC. Is there still RIP on the east coast? Right before I left batallion they were getting ready to move over to Geiger. But now there is no ARS. Also, I read that RIP may be going away, and they are using BRC to filter guys that are not ready. Any truth to that.

I understand some things are still up in the air. I'm just trying to make sure I have my mind on the right path before I turn a package in. Thanks again.

I don't think the Marine Corps will sign off on ITC graduates getting the 0321 MOS, the MOS field cannot support it. Right now there are going to be 4 battalions in MARSOC with MSOB and MCSOAG, not including the support structure and school houses etc. There are three recon battalions. You do the math; that would add up to an overwhelming increase in 0321s which would have tremendous 2nd and 3rd order effects on the reconnaisance community.

Why does it seem odd for ITC graduates to go to BRC? They don't learn anything about reconnaissance at ITC. The premier reconnaissance course in the Marine Corps is BRC. RIP is coming back. There is no ARS because all Recon Marines go to BRC at SOI west. BRC isn't filtering crap. When I went to BRC in Coronado, the course had a 40% pass rate. Now it has a 90% pass rate. This is one of the reasons RIP is coming back; we need to reset the baseline standard.

Holy Shit! 90% Hopefully RIP is back in place by the time I get my shit in order. I'm not as fast as I used to be. So every little bit helps. Thanks for all of the info, Sir.

RIP is coming back. There is no ARS because all Recon Marines go to BRC at SOI west. BRC isn't filtering crap. When I went to BRC in Coronado, the course had a 40% pass rate. Now it has a 90% pass rate. This is one of the reasons RIP is coming back; we need to reset the baseline standard.

Where did you hear RIP is coming back? From what I understand, BRC/MART was created at SOI to take that burden away from the Recon BNs so they could focus on training (instead of recruiting, screening, and entry-level preparation).

Where did you hear RIP is coming back? From what I understand, BRC/MART was created at SOI to take that burden away from the Recon BNs so they could focus on training (instead of recruiting, screening, and entry-level preparation).

From SOI. BRC told us (1st Recon Bn) to stand RIP back up. I'm sure that 2nd was told the same thing. We already have the cadre in place and we will be receiving students shortly. This will only apply for lat movers. BRC will continue to train pipeliners.

Back