Military Fitness Brainstorming

I wore the vest only for the runs. All my pull ups were strict, but my grip is usually first to go despite what kind I'm doing.
Squats were the hardest part.

On Murph, Cindy, etc, I blast the pull ups and squats, the push ups start to get me and I usually split them up 7-3 or 6-4. I stay down but pause and take a couple deep breaths.

My team is doing the WODs at THOR3 in the AM (did their rope workout this morning) and then some kind of cardio in the PM (run, ruck, or swim) for up to 90 mins. I'm missing on the water ops due to small cox...er...pox but row and bike until then finish the pool.

For an old guy, I like the low impact, body weight exercises since their easier on the joints.

On Murph, Cindy, etc, I blast the pull ups and squats, the push ups start to get me and I usually split them up 7-3 or 6-4. I stay down but pause and take a couple deep breaths.
Pull ups I ended up having to break down to 3-2, squats 8-7, then 5-5-5. Surprisingly the push ups were the only part I was able to do unbroken through the whole thing.

I figured this might be a good place to ask this question.

Are there any lifts/excercises you guys find are excessivly hard on the knees?
I ask this because although there is no pain my knees just don't feel all that healthy since I started MA and incorporated oly lifts into my training. (I also run 40 miles per week so it might be a cumulative effect)

Also, what are your favourite pre-hab/durability exercises, for the knees and elsewhere?

MA kicked my dick in the dirt for the first 5-6 weeks. You have to allow yourself to get used to that kind of programming. If you're training for some kind of selection program, also check out SOFWODS. It has a lot of calisthenic work that MA neglects badly.

Can't go wrong with a foam roller.

I figured this might be a good place to ask this question.

Are there any lifts/excercises you guys find are excessivly hard on the knees?
I ask this because although there is no pain my knees just don't feel all that healthy since I started MA and incorporated oly lifts into my training. (I also run 40 miles per week so it might be a cumulative effect)

Also, what are your favourite pre-hab/durability exercises, for the knees and elsewhere?

Why are you running 40 miles a week? You just answered your own question about why your knees hurt.

Why are you running 40 miles a week? You just answered your own question about why your knees hurt.

I've been running 40miles a week for a year, never had issues before. I was just wondering if its a common problem for people starting MA or similar programs.

Probably the only time I've covered 40 miles in one week was when I was in selection.

I've been running 40miles a week for a year, never had issues before. I was just wondering if its a common problem for people starting MA or similar programs.

It's likely not the MA program that's hurting your knees. It could be, if your technique is off and most of your weight is constantly on your toes/balls of your feet when you squat. However, Occam's razor suggests that the 40 miles a week of running is where you should look first. You claimed to also ruck quite a bit. How many miles do you ruck per week, and with what kind of weight?

Cheers for asking CDG.

Every other weekend I spend saturday morning through to sunday night on Dartmoor, usually with 60-100lbs, although the weight has been known to fluctuate mid yomp :-/. If for some reason I can't go on the moor I usually do a fairly fast (sub 2hours) 8 miler with 40-60lbs (on grass). This has only been regular for the last couple months though.

Do you know of any good exercises/durability work that will help protect my knees? It's by no means a consistent problem, I've just noticed my joints aren't 100% since I started MA. I think your theory about me having clusterfuck form on the oly lifts may be correct as I've never had any formal coaching. Squats are unlikely to be the issue though as I've been squatting for a year with no problems.

Cheers for asking CDG.

Every other weekend I spend saturday morning through to sunday night on Dartmoor, usually with 60-100lbs, although the weight has been known to fluctuate mid yomp :-/. If for some reason I can't go on the moor I usually do a fairly fast (sub 2hours) 8 miler with 40-60lbs (on grass). This has only been regular for the last couple months though.

Do you know of any good exercises/durability work that will help protect my knees? It's by no means a consistent problem, I've just noticed my joints aren't 100% since I started MA. I think your theory about me having clusterfuck form on the oly lifts may be correct as I've never had any formal coaching. Squats are unlikely to be the issue though as I've been squatting for a year with no problems.

You have been running 40 miles a week for a year? How long have you been doing bi-monthly overnight rucks with 60-100#? How long ago did you start MA?

The rucks started 2 months ago, started MA a month ago although I've been running powerlifting programs (531 mainly) from last September. (Started the running at the same time, It's 40 miles because it's 4 miles either way into college 5 days a week during term time, the distances are a bit more mixed up during holidays. My bag with gym cloths and books ect.. only comes to about 15lbs)

I'm worried I've de-railed the thread a bit, should we continue this somewhere else? (I'm new so unfamiliar with what's OK)

You claim to have been running 40 miles a week for over a year, apparently with 15# extra pounds on your back. In addition to all the running, you make claims of doing overnight rucks with significant weight. You also say you have been doing 5/3/1 for close to a year, and now you have added MA to the mix. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sincerely doubt you are actually doing all of this.

Back